• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's worth investing more in your sleep as you're asleep for roughly a 1/3rd of your life.

Go_Ly_Dow

Assuming you get about 8hrs a night (foolish of me to assume that on an enthusiast gaming forum I'm sure).

There are only a few things to consider, although preferences within each.

✅Mattress: many types, I use a very firm pocket sprung mattress, as memory foam gets way too hot and is a bit of a gimmick imo
✅Pillows: again many types, I use duck feather pillows as they mould well to any shape.
✅Bedding: I recommend 100% cotton or egyptian cotton as they're cool, crisp and more breathable
✅Matrress protector: protect your new mattress from your piss and cum stains, some also have a slightly cool padding
✅Body or room temp: you'll sleep better in a slightly cool atmosphere, get fresh air, sleep with minimal clothing or naked

Total investment for good stuff, maybe like: £500-£1000 or $500-$1000? Go try some mattresses and pillows out in a large bedding shop.

Not a bad investment when you consider the title of this thread.

It's 23:45 and it's time for bed. Goodnight GAF, sleep tight.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
2 years ago I finally bought a new mattress after about 12 years...

I should have gotten it way sooner because I was basically sleeping on a prison cot.

I'm a dumb guy and didn't think it was that important. That new mattress changed my mind 😁

I also use bamboo sheets because they give me the impression of sleeping in a fancy hotel.

You should have seen my old mattress when I threw it away, it looked like a giant civil war bandage.

badblue

I bought an expensive fitted pillow from the physiotherapist's office that has been just the best pillow I've ever had. I've been thinking of buying another one since this one is fitted to me laying on my side and as of late, I've been trying to sleep on my back.

the Wife and I need a new bed soon and I sort of want to push for a fancy adjustable bed.
Leva_Sleep_Web3.jpg

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have a hybrid coil/foam mattress with a cooling layer and it's one of the best things I ever bought. I am usually a furnace when I sleep and since I bought this mattress I never get hot when I sleep. It's awesome. I always use high thread count cotton sheets.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Queen sized is perfect for me. It's just me.

I dont want a bed too big like a King sized because I like to hang my feet over the edge sometimes. I can do that and not be too low on the bed (so I can reach my nightstand phone and clock radio).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I need to learn lucid dreaming.
Lucid dreams are awesome. But also creepiest scary shit ever.

but it gets to a point, you just live with the creepy shit. In my dreams (which I'm sure other people have the same), often people disappear. Next thing you know there is nobody in my dream except me and I know I'm in a dream. I have never had a jump scare where suddenly people reappear too. So there are times I literally say out loud in my dream "so, looks like it's just me again". At some point of time I just wake up and chalk that up to a stupid dream.

Cyberpunkd

Two things:

1. For mattresses buy the ones that are used in luxury hotels - hotels know their shit, that thing will last you a lifetime
2. Learn to sleep on your back if you are not doing it already - much better for sleep + you don’t smear your face creams on the pillow

ahtlas7

I bought an expensive fitted pillow from the physiotherapist's office that has been just the best pillow I've ever had. I've been thinking of buying another one since this one is fitted to me laying on my side and as of late, I've been trying to sleep on my back.

the Wife and I need a new bed soon and I sort of want to push for a fancy adjustable bed.
Leva_Sleep_Web3.jpg
I have the French made equivalent of this bed. The piece that holds them together was lost by movers. Sex has become an interesting balancing act as someone is always sliding into the crack.

Cyberpunkd

I have the French made equivalent of this bed. The piece that holds them together was lost by movers. Sex has become an interesting balancing act as someone is always sliding into the crack.
Admit it, you just like the "girlfriend is stuck next to the bed" role play.

HoodWinked

What's the most important thing to keep you asleep. I always wake up early and try to go back to sleep but just end up where I'm half a sleep and half awake till I say screw it and wake up

SJRB

Gold Member
Buying supreme quality bedframe, mattrass, pillows and blankets was one of the best investments I've ever made.

It'd cost me thousands of euros but the difference and subsequent improvement of sleep quality is immense. It is a lot of money but it is well worth it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Super king sized bed (king size for everyone outside UK).
Three thousand pound mattress.
Egyptian cotton.
One memory foam pillow at the right height for spine alignment when sleeping on side.
Two duvets, for me and the fiancé.
Air purifier in bedroom.

i like my sleep but fuck paying that much money to do it.

for a long time i happily slept on just a cheap old mattress (no bed frame) with basic sheets/cover/pillow. that was some of the best sleep i've ever had.

Last edited:

Danknugz

Just getting enough sleep is a huge vice and major health concern of mine. Throughout college I thought I could cheat sleep and get away with less, do yourself a favor and make sure you get enough sleep, just one of those things that if you're doing it you don't really notice, it's when you try and go without sleep that it really affects you.

And it doesn't happen all at once, it's a gradual erosion of your health and that's why a lot of people get away with it at first and think it's not a big deal.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
What’s the consensus on memory foam mattresses? I’ve had one for 5 years, it was gifted to me when I moved. I went from the best sleep of my life in the first few months, to recurrent shoulder and neck problems in the span of a few years. I’m not sure if it’s the mattress, but I surely tend to think it is.

It’s very hard for me to sleep on my back for more than half an hour. I will usually awake then, and have to lie on my side. I only manage to sleep on my back when I’m seriously tired.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Has anyone spent money on one of those mattress covers like Eight Sleep? It's expensive as hell and advertised out the ass on social media (always a bad sign) but I am willing to pay an absurd amount of money to improve my sleep if it works.

Last edited:

Dural

I bought my mom a Bed Jet several years ago for Christmas and she loves it. Her AC went out last summer and she said even then the bed jet allowed her to sleep comfortably. I'd love to get one but I think I'd need two as my wife would want a different temperature than me.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Completely agree on not cheaping out on good mattresses and pillows/sheets. You literally spend 8 hours a day on those things.

I think this applies to lots of things in life. If you sit at work a lot, buy a nice chair, if you spend all day in your vehicle, buy a comfy one, if you spend all day looking at a computer, get a good screen. Etc

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Assuming you get about 8hrs a night (foolish of me to assume that on an enthusiast gaming forum I'm sure).

There are only a few things to consider, although preferences within each.

✅Mattress: many types, I use a very firm pocket sprung mattress, as memory foam gets way too hot and is a bit of a gimmick imo
✅Pillows: again many types, I use duck feather pillows as they mould well to any shape.
✅Bedding: I recommend 100% cotton or egyptian cotton as they're cool, crisp and more breathable
✅Matrress protector: protect your new mattress from your piss and cum stains, some also have a slightly cool padding
✅Body or room temp: you'll sleep better in a slightly cool atmosphere, get fresh air, sleep with minimal clothing or naked

Total investment for good stuff, maybe like: £500-£1000 or $500-$1000? Go try some mattresses and pillows out in a large bedding shop.

Not a bad investment when you consider the title of this thread.

It's 23:45 and it's time for bed. Goodnight GAF, sleep tight.

Cold AF room.
Hard mattress
Memory foam fillow
Earplugs
No snooze.

And be happy if you don't have (multiple) hardcore vivid dreams every night.

jason10mm

Gold Member
TBH I think it is FAR more important to pick a good PERSON to sleep next to you, WHAT you sleep on is a much smaller priority :p

Top Bottom