• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've completed my 20th re-reading of The Lord of the Rings.

Oberstein

In the books I think it's just an insignia.

I've heard some adoptions or theories that claim Barad Dur is the actual body of Sauron.

From memory, it seems to me that Sauron can still have a "physical" body - in fact, he tortures Gollum personally. Moreover, it's mentioned that Sauron only has four fingers during the torture scene.

However, I don't mind certain "visual" liberties, given that there's no choice when it comes to adaptation - you have to fill in the blanks.

By the way, Weta did an absolutely remarkable job, and it's a good thing they're going to work on the films. Even if they did give plate armor to the soldiers of Gondor and Tolkien never mentioned it... oh well.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
- Faramir doesnt try to take Frodo to Gondor

- Frodo doesnt turn on Sam before Shelob's cave.
I hated these two changes in the movies. These absolutely destroyed the mood of those scenes, and completely betrayed the characters. Faramir’s actions soured me on The Two Towers the first time I saw the movie. It took me years to want to see it again, while I could watch Fellowship just anytime.

My mom read it to me and my brother when we were kids, there's no better version than that.
I remember vividly being in the car going to Spain on holidays, my dad driving, my mom singing the elf song that Legolas sang while sending Boromir remains towards the waterfalls. She'd always stop halfway through to prevent herself from crying (unsuccessfully).
There's two things im pretty sure i'll keep with me to the grave, this memory and Sonic up down left right A+START level select code.

That being said, even with my experience i cannot even begin to fathom the degree of autistic love OP has for LOTR, and i love it !
I hope you read it 20 times more and still enjoy it as much as you do :messenger_blowing_kiss:
What an amazing memory.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I was reading the Letters of JRR Tolkien and one caught my attention that really reframed the elves for me. I had never thought about it like that before.

The Noldor elves in Middle earth during the Third Age are sad because they know their time is passing and that they need to return to Valinor. Tolkien in his letter frames this sorrow as steaming from pride. In Middle-earth, they are at the top of the hierarchy. They're exhaulted, viewed as higher and honored. But in Valinor, they'd be at the bottom of the totem pole, below the Maiar and Valar. And so the Valar are saddened from their pending loss of privilege.

Oberstein

I was reading the Letters of JRR Tolkien and one caught my attention that really reframed the elves for me. I had never thought about it like that before.

The Noldor elves in Middle earth during the Third Age are sad because they know their time is passing and that they need to return to Valinor. Tolkien in his letter frames this sorrow as steaming from pride. In Middle-earth, they are at the top of the hierarchy. They're exhaulted, viewed as higher and honored. But in Valinor, they'd be at the bottom of the totem pole, below the Maiar and Valar. And so the Valar are saddened from their pending loss of privilege.

Is this from the new edition of the letters? I haven't read them all yet, but I need to catch up.

Reading The Fall of Gondolin at the moment, there are passages where the Noldor (in Gondlin) are haunted both by their old home of Valinor but also the desire to explore new lands. I guess in the Third Age, they learned to love this position of privilege.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Is this from the new edition of the letters? I haven't read them all yet, but I need to catch up.

Reading The Fall of Gondolin at the moment, there are passages where the Noldor (in Gondlin) are haunted both by their old home of Valinor but also the desire to explore new lands. I guess in the Third Age, they learned to love this position of privilege.
Yeah, I have the updated edition. I cant remember if the letter was one of the added ones though (which there is a lot). The new letters are indicated by letters.

Top Bottom