• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jensen Huang - We're no longer a graphics company

Chiggs

In this thread, GAF's Big Brains cast doubt on Nvidia's decision-making, ignoring that A) many of them have spent upwards of $1000 on Nvidia video cards backed by AI technologies, such as DLSS, and B) that many of them have plans to purchase Nvidia's next flagships, the 5080 and 5090, which will most assuredly be backed by--drumroll please--AI technologies developed by Nvidia.

Thread rating: AAA Blue Ribbon ⭐⭐⭐Gold Star ⭐⭐⭐Winner! 🏆

Danknugz

Looks like competitively priced discrete GPUs might be back on the table boys!

so basically it's still way above before the insane AI bubble and now it's coming back down to earth. nothing is changed with AI, it's the mentally challenged retail and dare i say institutional investors chasing and pumping up the stock and taking profits nothing to see here.

Three

I think that Bitcoin no longer uses GPUs. Only ASICs.
AFAIK you can still mine on a GPU but efficiency is crap in comparison to an ASIC. I do think investors believe that this halving would affect nvidia though and it happened just last night.

There is no way they just woke up today and thought nvidia aren't the only fish in the sea for AI chips. Google had announced their own silicon 4 days ago, MS had plans for ARM chips announced last year.

AMD is also betting heavy on AI. And so is Intel.
This will probably mean smaller and fewer advancements with each generation, as these companies will spend less and less money on GPU R&D.
Graphics are already amazing, and with each generation it’s diminishing returns. I honestly don’t even care if graphics get any better. I just want to play fun games 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Looks like competitively priced discrete GPUs might be back on the table boys!

There’s probably a correction of the market (was insane), but to say that Nvidia « jUsT dESigN » while TSMC should get all the credit is one of those stupid as fuck takes. Everything of value is mainly on know how, patents and R&D on design side.

It’s like saying Apple just designs! They’re worth shit, Foxconn is the real value! (They kind of both are, but one is a trillion dollar company)

rm082e

In this thread, GAF's Big Brains cast doubt on Nvidia's decision-making, ignoring that A) many of them have spent upwards of $1000 on Nvidia video cards backed by AI technologies, such as DLSS, and B) that many of them have plans to purchase Nvidia's next flagships, the 5080 and 5090, which will most assuredly be backed by--drumroll please--AI technologies developed by Nvidia.

The question is not "Will gamers keep buying Nvidia cards?" Those of us with Nvidia will keep buying their cards unless someone else matches their performance, which seems unlikely. Despite all the complaining, we haven't see a big market shift towards AMD.

The real question is "Will Nvidia keep making so much money in the AI/Datacenter market that they see no reason to lower prices on gaming cards to be more competitive with AMD & Intel?" If the gaming cards are still valuable in the AI space, that keeps the price high. We saw this same thing a few years ago with the crypto boom. The 2080 Ti was not much better than a 1080 Ti, but it was nearly double the price.

The GeForce GPU division is roughly 16% of Nvidia's total revenue. If their revenue from the data center division were to shrink (because AI customers are going with other options), then the GeForce division would become a bigger portion of their total revenue, and thus deserve more attention. At least that's the idea anyway.

I prefer to just blame AMD for not being as competitive as we need them to be to bring the overall market back down to a reasonable level.

Puscifer

Just cause it's true doesn't give thou the right to mock us deservingly like that

We are magicians. Look at your monthly paycheck, got it? Ok, now two of your monthly paychecks, GONE.
Even with giftcards and credit card cash back only making it like 500 out of pocket for me i still can't belive I bought a 4080

Last edited:

Reallink

There’s probably a correction of the market (was insane), but to say that Nvidia « jUsT dESigN » while TSMC should get all the credit is one of those stupid as fuck takes. Everything of value is mainly on know how, patents and R&D on design side.

It’s like saying Apple just designs! They’re worth shit, Foxconn is the real value! (They kind of both are, but one is a trillion dollar company)

Even dumber than that is the assumption that Meta, Amazon, Google, etc... are just going to build their own competitive chips overnight and succeed where AMD and Intel have literally failed for decades. Google's Tensor SOC's are dogshit and literally multiple generations behind even Qualcomm (their current $1000 flagship Pixel 8 Pro is slower than a 2021 Snapdragon). Meta already wasted billions trying to design their own SOC for Quest and failed so catastrophically they trashed it, never mentioned it again, and formed a strategic alliance with Qualcomm. Even assuming Nvidia held no pertinent patents whatsoever, it would be a miracle if these companies could design a comically inferior chip in 5 years. To give you an idea of the timeline we're talking about here, Apple has been designing their own SOC's since like 2005/06 and only started producing competitve chips around 2020.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Even dumber than that is the assumption that Meta, Amazon, Google, etc... are just going to build their own competitive chips overnight and succeed where AMD and Intel have literally failed for decades. Google's Tensor SOC's are dogshit and literally multiple generations behind even Qualcomm (their current $1000 flagship Pixel 8 Pro is slower than a 2021 Snapdragon). Meta already wasted billions trying to design their own SOC for Quest and failed so catastrophically they trashed it, never mentioned it again, and formed a strategic alliance with Qualcomm. Even assuming Nvidia held no pertinent patents whatsoever, it would be a miracle if these companies could design a comically inferior chip in 5 years. To give you an idea of the timeline we're talking about here, Apple has been designing their own SOC's since like 2005/06 and only started producing competitve chips around 2020.

But they just have to go to TSMC! /s

I know, that guy's take is so bad. Comical even.

Top Bottom