• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim's Legacy: (LTD) PS5 59.3 m | (YTD) PS5 4.5m, NSW 1.96m, XBS 0.8 m; Profit G&NS 700$ m , Nintendo $426 m, Activision ($350)

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
And this year will be even worse...and next 2 years with Sony having their 1st party studios releasing games left and right will be something to see. Meanwhile MS will have Activision all hand on deck with one IP (COD) and Bethesda will keep flopping like they have been.

But hey...they will at least make a lot of money i guess.

Still incredibly depressing how stagnant creativity is going on at Xbox right now. The fact they closed some studios they were giving them some of their best content is mindblowing to me.
All I know is they better put elder scrolls 6 and doom and any potential actually good Spyro and Crash on ps

PS5 being only 800k behind the PS4 is great when you consider the PS5 Pro is launching this year and GTA6 very well may launch next year. The PS5's gonna crush the PS4 in lifetime sales.
The issue is it's slowing down going into Year 4, so unless PS5 Pro can meaningfully change the system's sales trajectory, it's peaked earlier than it should have. Which means a successor is coming probably a year or so earlier than expected.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
The issue is it's slowing down going into Year 4, so unless PS5 Pro can meaningfully change the system's sales trajectory, it's peaked earlier than it should have. Which means a successor is coming probably a year or so earlier than expected.
Honestly gta6 may help change the trajectory especially if they get it $100 down by then

Last edited:

vivftp

The PS5 just had a peak year that surpassed anything the PS4 achieved. Even though Sony projected 18 million for the next FY, I think it's a conservative estimate and it'll be revised upwards as this FY continues. My reasoning for why I think the PS5 will surpass the PS4 lifetime sales:

1) The PS4 already had its Pro launch by this point in its gen, the PS5 still has that to come this holiday, and it's currently only about 800-900k behind

2) I think the PS5 will get a price cut to correlate with the Pro launch this holiday

3) The PS4 had its GTA launch around the start of its gen, which gave a massive boost to its desirability. The PS5 still has to receive its GTA

4) By all accounts, the PS5 gen is likely to go until 2028 which means it'll last 1 year longer than the PS4 gen did.

The PS5 is already keeping pace quite well with the PS4 without a Pro and without any price cuts, while selling for a notable higher amount. That's on top of the troubles it faced the first couple of years with supply issues. The latter half of this gen is gonna be an avalanche of heavy hitter titles from SIE, add that to the above reasoning I posted, and I think it's very safe to say that the PS5 will obliterate the PS4 lifetime sales. Plus the PS4 was cut off prematurely due to supply issues and the need to focus on the PS5 due to the pandemic, the PS5 very well might see a healthier tail as we go into the PS6 gen.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Amazing quarter for Sony
I'm curious where consoles will be in 10-15 years. My 11 year old has been hassling me to get a good PC for gaming.(friggin 11 year old) I haven't been a PC gamer in quite a few years so I asked him why we need one when we have a ton of good console games: "Dad, PC gaming is much better than console. Not many in my school even talk about console stuff".

I'm thinking I need to switch his school and hope this was a bizarre anomaly.............Or just suck it up and buy a really good PC.

This is kids now. Get them a great pc. I did with my daughter and she loves it.

Ita just the way its going.

Kerotan

From what they said to investors, I think a Switch price cut is very likely this year.

I think Sony would have noticeably better margins if they didn't do this thing of reporting third party digital revenue as their own.

But I also see the logic in why they report that way.

Completely agree with this.

Those numbers in the OP are until the end of March. Still bad for Xbox though.
Do Nintendo and MS not do it?

Woopah

Do Nintendo and MS not do it?
MS, Sony and Nintendo all report physical third party revenue in the same way (only including royalties).

For digital third party revenue, Nintendo continues reporting only royalties. But both Sony and MS report 100% of the revenue as their own.

Kerotan

MS, Sony and Nintendo all report physical third party revenue in the same way (only including royalties).

For digital third party revenue, Nintendo continues reporting only royalties. But both Sony and MS report 100% of the revenue as their own.
Nintendo should too. I wonder what their revenue would increase by if they did.

Woopah

Peaking in a console's third year is fairly common, so I don't think this means much for the successor.

nial

The issue is it's slowing down going into Year 4, so unless PS5 Pro can meaningfully change the system's sales trajectory, it's peaked earlier than it should have.
No? PS2 and PS4 also peaked in their fourth fiscal years (1999-2002, 2013-2016 and 2020-2023).

Last edited:

MrA

No? PS2 and PS4 also peaked in their fourth fiscal years (1999-2002, 2013-2016 and 2020-2023).
no, they line up, 2016 was ps4 peak, much like 2023 is likely the PS5's peak,
and 1999 for the ps2 was 3 weeks in Japan only, fy 2000 was the first year worldwide for ps2
ps5's doing just fine, sony just made the same incorrect assumption many tech companies made that the COVID boom wouldn't stop. anyone, well I did at least, could see a mile away they wouldn't hit 25 million, but just shy of 21 million is great,

anyway, I'm going to say neither GTA (it's going to launch with 80 million plus PS5s sold if 2025 and over 90 million if 2026)
and the pro only accounted for like 10% of all ps4s it isn't going to reignite the height of ps5 demand, (though I'm sure scalpers will make a nuisance out of themselves)
anyway I still say the ps5 will end up within 10% of the ps4 (so lowest 108 million, max 132 million), though with I did think ms would potentially eat into Sony's share, but I grossly underestimated ineffective ms gaming management is, Bethesda should have gotten them a 10 million unit swing in their favor, but managed to botch it) and Activision acquisition probably killed xbox

nial

no, they line up, 2016 was ps4 peak, much like 2023 is likely the PS5's peak,
I don't think you're disagreeing with me at all.
and 1999 for the ps2 was 3 weeks in Japan only, fy 2000 was the first year worldwide for ps2
Not that it matters, it's still PS2's first FY in every accounting by SIE. FY 2002 was the fourth one, just like 2016 and 2023 for PS4 and PS5 respectively.

MrA

I don't think you're disagreeing with me at all.

Not that it matters, it's still PS2's first FY in every accounting by SIE. FY 2002 was the fourth one, just like 2016 and 2023 for PS4 and PS5 respectively.
I believe is misread your post, yes I agree ps5's decline is totally normal

FY21/22
NSW: 23.06m
PS5: 11.5m
XBS: 9.5m est
PS4: 1.0m
Total: 45.06m

FY22/23
PS5: 19.1m
NSW: 17.97m
XBS: 8.2m est
Total: 45.27m

FY 23/24
PS5: 20.9m
NSW: 15.7m
XBS: 7.2m est
Total: 43.8m

FY 24/25
PS5: 18.0m forecast
NSW: 13.5m forecast
XBS: 5.5m?
Total: 37.0m

Combined hardware was only down by around 1.5 million year over year but for this current fiscal year it could be down by 7 million.

Last edited:

Unknown?

FY21/22

FY22/23
Total: 45.97m

FY 23/24

FY 24/25

Combined hardware was only down by around 2 million year over year but for this current year it could be down by 7 million.
Xbox will likely be at 5 million. 4 million of those being in North America.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Imagine when Sony starts releasing their new tier of games. All their major 1st part devs are reloading. That should excite people.

It's also amazing how this supposed SW drought hasn't affected them because they still have exclusives and PC/PS5 exclusives. It's as if they know what they're doing.

The forecast for this fiscal year is 18 million which is slightly less than the 19 million the PS4 shipped in it's 4th full fiscal year. So they expect PS5 to still be behind PS4 in one year's time and it may be behind the PS4 for the next 2 to 3 years but it should eventually pass it because the PS4's life was cut short by covid and the resulting component shortages.
It will easily pass it once the pro and GTA 6 are out

demigod

FY21/22

FY22/23
Total: 45.27m

FY 23/24

FY 24/25

Combined hardware was only down by around 1.5 million year over year but for this current fiscal year it could be down by 7 million.
7.2m xbox last year seems way too high.

7.2m xbox last year seems way too high.

Didn't someone leak numbers and it was 5.3m? Your right, there's no chance it was 7m last year.

Regarding PS5 passing PS4, I think it will because still no price cut, no pro model, no GTA VI and there's gonna be an influx of Sony first party software. PS5 will have a much better tail end than PS4 did because of these factors.

Last edited:
I'm curious where consoles will be in 10-15 years. My 11 year old has been hassling me to get a good PC for gaming.(friggin 11 year old) I haven't been a PC gamer in quite a few years so I asked him why we need one when we have a ton of good console games: "Dad, PC gaming is much better than console. Not many in my school even talk about console stuff".

I'm thinking I need to switch his school and hope this was a bizarre anomaly.............Or just suck it up and buy a really good PC.

It's because kids are into watching Twitch and where do Twitch streamers play? On PC.

I'm sure when it releases, Sony will be sending free PS5 Pros to twitch and youtube streamers to try and get them to play more on console, but there are still just some games that aren't available on console like Valorant.

So I think ultimately, Sony has to work on a lot of integrations with things like Twitch, Youtube, and Discord, but they probably have an uphill battle there.

Woopah

Imagine when Sony starts releasing their new tier of games. All their major 1st part devs are reloading. That should excite people.

It's also amazing how this supposed SW drought hasn't affected them because they still have exclusives and PC/PS5 exclusives. It's as if they know what they're doing.
It's because there is no SW drought. That's just a myth people are peddling for some reason.

According to MS the gaming industry is in trouble......infact the whole Xbox part of MS is in trouble, Sony is doing great so all the Xboxfans that where posting doom and gloom for Sony where dead wrong. The silence of the lambs on the Xbox side...
They utter those words because misery loves company. Xbox fans are among the most miserable in the world right now with everything Xbox related.

I was a massive PC gamer as a kid. Then you grow up and habits change.
A PC for his age is much more entertaining. Lil fella can be on a discord call with mates, zoom meeting for class, and doing other side stuff in-between. It's very tempting for kid of their age. If used well, it can be a versatile tool, but don't forget the many pitfalls of multi-tasking and reduced attention spans that can come with it.

You can give your champ one beefy PC, but gotta teach internet etiquette to him. He will probably find annoying if you meddle with it, but I'm sure you'll find a smart solution :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: .

Last edited:
As I have said before, old Jim is sitting at his favorite pub right now and sipping on his preferred drink. He is smiling thinking about how he completely obliterated Xbox and forced them to become a meek sheepish third party dev. Job well done Jim.

Didn't someone leak numbers and it was 5.3m? Your right, there's no chance it was 7m last year.

Regarding PS5 passing PS4, I think it will because still no price cut, no pro model, no GTA VI and there's gonna be an influx of Sony first party software. PS5 will have a much better tail end than PS4 did because of these factors.
Ampere had it at 7.6 million for calendar year 2023. My estimates are based of the decline in hardware revenue year over year and because of the leaks from the FTC/Activision court case we know what it sold up to the end of 2022.

MrA

Yup. Switch is perfect for a 4 year old. Tell me how things are going when she gets to like 12 or 13.

Consoles are more popular than pcs with teens in the US and UK
If a child stops playing on consoles, smartphones are the more likely exchange
Weird how pcmrs always seem to be mysteriously surround by children that slobber over pcs

Top Bottom