• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joy-Con drift lawsuits have been dismissed after five years

Draugoth

Gold Member
nintendo_switch_red_and_blue_joy_con-e1608161288726-1440x848.jpg
According to Game File, Diaz vs Nintendo and Carbajal vs Nintendo, which were filed in 2019 and 2020, have both been dismissed. The suits alleged that Nintendo knowingly sold defective controllers.

Game File reports that both Nintendo and the parents who brought the suits on behalf of their children called for the cases to be dismissed.

‘Joy-Con drift’ is a recurring issue with the Nintendo Switch Joy-Con controllers in which a stick can register input when there is none. For example, a controller with Joy-Con drift could be left completely still, and yet the player’s character could be moving slowly in any direction.

via vGC

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
They Joy-Cons suck big time, I got 2 pairs and both of them ended up with some kind of drifting.

But hey at least Nintendo will fix them for free no matter when or where you bought them.

Edit: for all the shit they get I gotta say, the best controller I have is the GameCube one. Rocking since 2002 and still 0 issues.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I had one pair go bad, second pair held up alright so far. Haven’t had a problem with my two dual sense controllers but I don’t mash in them like a madman! 😉

knowingly sold defective controllers
I guess they sold knowingly controllers that have a certain percentage of failure within the warranty and were okay with it, since it was still cheaper than using better parts.
I had my first drift with a Logitech Dual Action. With far less hours than with other pads. I am not sure the term stick drift was even used back then. N64, PS3 and 360 seem still to work as intented. PS4 pad drifts though and all my cheap knockoff replacements i thought I buy before getting a PS5 do not work flawless as well. In hindsight an official one would have been cheaper...
So anecdotally I would assume there is quality level 1 that we had two gens ago, quality level 2 we had last gen and knock off quality level 3 that is actual garbage.
EU consumer goods laws with their supposed target of reducing electronic garbage should take a look into it. In the end it is not actually "defective" but just too cheap to allow breaking down quite commonly. Should imho be enough to enforce some proper quality for this single reoccuring issue. 1 or 2 years warranty is just not enough. Depending on intensity of use the mileage of course may vary, but it should be closer to the lifetime of the console itself. Which so far isn't that blatantly designed to break down just after warranty time because some 1ct capacitor or whatever only lasts so long.

Impotaku

Surely Nintendo could release a system update so you could customise how big the deadzone was via the system menu so if any have drift it could ignore it. Although I guess if it’s bad no amount of deadzone will stop it from glitching out.

Out of the 9 pairs of joycons I have only one pair has fully gone drift mad and it was the original neon red & blue on my first switch.

I hope they don't stop repairing joycons. I have had 3 repaired (one for drift, two others for button repairs. All free of charge. My expierence with them has been amazing.

Also i had bought a Monster Hunter joycon from a "retro" store, and thought they were legit as it had the same paint job with symbols, and felt and played like the official joycons, even had the same nfc scanner ,(most 3rd party cons don't have that), vibration, etc... The "A" button started not responding properly. You had to press directly in the middle or upper part of the button or it wouldn't register on the first press. Sometimes you had to hit a twice to get it to register. So I sent it in to Nintendo. They wrote me back saying it was "counterfeit". I didn't notice no branding on the back.
They sent the controller back unfixed, but to my surprise the issues with the "A" button were gone. Not sure if I got a tech who liked fixing things but my counterfit joycon was now working good as new.

Now this sort of thing shouldn't happen in the first place, but if it does, its nice to know Nintendo has your back with issues like this.
If no lawsuits though, I don't know if they will continue this policy.

PS4 controllers were worse with drift, imo.

Last edited:

nordique

I've been pretty lucky.

Only one older ps4 controller had a drift issue.

My xbox series, ps4, ps5 and switch controllers have all been fine

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
After that nintendo made the pro co trollers
The inventor the dpad made a dpad that fucking sucks.

My 6 dollar mini 8bitdo dpad has better input in streetfigher 3 🤭

I can’t even play tetris on a high level with their “pro” controller.

Srsly nintendo does a lot of things well.
Making gamepads however no

Top Bottom