• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Jujutsu Kaisen' Wins Anime of the Year at the 2024 Crunchyroll Anime Awards (Full Winners List)

Draugoth

Gold Member

filters:quality(95)format(webp)

Anime of the Year 2024

Winner: JUJUTSU KAISEN Season 2

AA24_AOTY_PW2_JJK2-16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Continuing Anime Series

Winner: One Piece

AA24_WinnersAssets_BCS_PW2_OPC_16x9-EN

Nominees

Best New Anime Series

Winner: Chainsaw Man

AA24_BNS_CSM-16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Anime Film

Winner: Suzume

AA24_BFI_PW1_SZM-16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Original Anime

Winner: Buddy Daddies

AA24_WinnersAssets_BOA_PW1_BUD_16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Animation

Winner: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Swordsmith Village Arc

AA24_BANI_PW2-DSSV-16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Character Design

AA24_BCD_PW2_JJK2-16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Director

Winner: Shota Goshozono – JUJUTSU KAISEN Season 2

AA24_WinnersAssets_BDIR_PW1_JJK_16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Cinematography

AA24_BCIN-16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Art Direction

AA24_WinnersAssets_BAD_PW2_DSSV_16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Romance Anime

Winner: Horimiya: The Missing Pieces

AA24_BRO_PW1-16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Comedy Anime

Winner: SPY x FAMILY Season 1 Cour 2

AA24_WinnersAssets_BCO_SPF1-2_16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Action Anime

AA24_BAC-16x9-EN

Nominees

Best Fantasy Anime

AA24_BFA-16x9-EN

Nominees

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Deserved.

Demon Slayer Swordsmith Village winning best animation over literally any of the other nominees, lol, the madness of fandom.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Some great stuff in there. I really enjoyed spy x family.

Do they do anime awards for best jiggle physics and that type of stuff too. The ones like love hena not the nudie ones.

kunonabi

No apothecary diaries anywhere?

Also Jujutsu Kaisen season 2 was not very good. It some great visuals sure but the rest of it was just bleh.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I havent watched any anime in 2+ years or so, it's become annoying waiting so many years for one fucking season. I've been waiting for what, 5 years now for re-zero, it's just fucking stupid. Any modern animes that I should watch that it's fucking over? Or mini series? Like Jojo stuff.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Most anime current is just isekai garbage. I tuned the fuck out and I'm primarily on back log or reading manga these days but JJK S2 was INSANE. Definitely worth it.

Didn't bother watching Demon Slayer but that is the best arc in the series I'll say that and be nice to a series I otherwise shit on regularly.

Overrated. Most of the season(bar the first few episodes) was just one long stretch of boring fights and cheap shock value. Ragna Crimson(Cour 1) or Hells Paradise would be a better contender.

Last edited:
Lol these awards are just a dick measuring contest between the largest fandoms. Seeing Attack on Titan against something like My Happy Marriage. Like, what?

Keep the categories the same, but just make them all be between Attack on Titan, Jujitsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, and Demon Slayer. We can watch the rabid dogs go at each other to nominate their favorite series for Best Comedy or Best Slice of Life.

Doom85

Deserved.

Demon Slayer Swordsmith Village winning best animation over literally any of the other nominees, lol, the madness of fandom.

Did the animation quality go down that season? I’ve not watched beyond Mugen Train, but the first season and that movie are definitely high quality animation. Of the other nominees, I’ve only seen Chainsaw Man and Trigun, which were both incredible-looking.

Chainsaw Man winning best new series, let’s go! I was hoping the Chainsaw Man director would win, as he received a good deal of harassment for not adapting the manga style “how they would have done it”, and it’d be a nice bit of slap of karma to those people (obviously criticism is fine, insults and especially death threats are over the line).

Shocked Buddy Daddies won best original. I’ve heard it’s good, but somewhat feels a bit familiar if you’ve already seen Spy x Family. I thought Gundam would win for sure, or maybe Akiba Maid War would pull a surprise as it was a dark horse that year.

Very cool of them to cover so many different language’s dubs.

No apothecary diaries anywhere?

Wasn‘t eligible (so it’ll be at next year’s), they changed the months the awards cover, so this awards show covered roughly October 2022-September 2023. Apparently this was to avoid “recency bias”, my issue was this just felt like it would screw over shows in that fall season as they would be over a year old by the time voting begins and might not be as fresh in people’s minds. But I guess it wasn’t too bad as Chainsaw Man still won a bunch, and even Bocchi the Rock got a win.

Kurotri

I thought it was awful. JJK2 is absolutely amazing and deserves praise and success, the directing in that season was amazing. However I feel like Vinland Saga 100 % deserves the AOTY award. By a mile. It's art. Those who get it, get it. Thorfinn is such an amazing character, him losing to fucking Luffy is just proof that it's nothing but a popularity contest. Same thing with Heavenly Delusion losing to Chainsaw Man or Insomniacs After School losing to Horimiya Piece. At this point it's just more views = win. Also I laughed when Megan Thee Stallion showed up.

And the Parasite director Bong Joon-ho is apparently making an anime as well, which seemingly went under everyone's radar.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Overrated. Most of the season(bar the first few episodes) was just one long stretch of boring fights and cheap shock value. Ragna Crimson(Cour 1) or Hells Paradise would be a better contender.
Hell's Paradise has some of the worst production scheduling I've seen for a show with average animation.

Doom85

filters:quality(95)format(webp)

Hell yeah buddy.

Start working on S2 please.

The next arc (Reze) in the manga is already announced to be a movie (it makes sense based on the length of the arcs remaining of Part 1 of the manga, a Season 2 should be able to cover the remaining arcs of Part 1 past the Reze arc fairly well with 12 episodes).

Paltheos

Deserved, probably? I haven't watched that much in the past year. Some of the other nominees have value only in their meme potential (Oshi no Ko), are outright bad (Demon Slayer), or kinda checkered (Chainsaw Man). JJK is checkered itself - S1 had a tendency to be either really good or really bad with not much in the way inbetween, and that's still kinda there but moreso in the elements of allot scenes rather than the overall product. I found myself not caring about a bunch of nobodies on-screen I'd never heard of pretty frequently, but the actual presentation of the show was so good that I could put allot of that aside. Being a mostly action focused season helps allot too - JJK is usually better during action.

I havent watched any anime in 2+ years or so, it's become annoying waiting so many years for one fucking season. I've been waiting for what, 5 years now for re-zero, it's just fucking stupid. Any modern animes that I should watch that it's fucking over? Or mini series? Like Jojo stuff.

Depends on what genres you like. I personally can't recommend anything Jojo-like because I just haven't watched enough like series but I've seen a few shows in the past few years I can recommend:

Lycoris Recoil: AOTY 2022 imo. Original production with an infectiously enthusiastic and lovable lead. Part of the premise is schoolgirls with guns but the execution is really on-point. Chika Anzai gives the performance of a career as Chisato but the whole direction of the show is really solid. My favorite ED song in years (one of the rare instances these days where I make a point of listening to the whole thing every time).
Bocchi the Rock: Group of different-personality'd high school girls form a band. The focal point of this show is the lead girl who suffers from extreme social anxiety and the creative ways the show goes about presenting her troubles. The supporting cast (the other girls) aren't bad though!
My Dress Up Darling: Rom-com with a neat premise and two, engaging leads. I haven't been into romcoms for years, but this one hit for me because of how good the leads are on their own and how good their chemistry is. Gojo is serious and humble but has an impossible-not-to-admire earnestness to his approach to everything, and Marin is a fun-loving, free spirit anchored by a kind heart.

Kinda of a through line you might have noticed but that's all I've got for top recs. Ranking of Kings starts off very strong but falls off in the second half, and Odd Taxi is a fantastic mystery/drama that... falls outside the 2 year range you specified ;)

Some great stuff in there. I really enjoyed spy x family.

Spy x Family was fun. The show still has that identity crisis problem where it takes itself too seriously for no good reason (that almost-whole episode on some throwaway spy and his troubles is godawful) or just bad ideas (that other long cut following Damian & co. on a woods outing is boring because who cares about them), but it hits hard when it plays to its strengths. The episode following Becky's crush is the best in the series so far. Cruise ship arc was largely consistent throughout. Sometimes in this cour Loid and Yor got more to do than in the past (stuff that's actually funny) and this wasn't just the Anya show.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Loved JJK. I’m an action movie/entertainment kind of guy, but even I looked back and was just exhausted that S2 was just a bunch of fights. Great animation though. I put season 2 in the John Wick category.

SJRB

Gold Member
Circling back to this thread because I just finished S2 of Jujutsu Kaisen and that shit was incredible. I absolutely loved Chainsaw Man but this was honestly on another level.

I thought S1 was pretty goofy, overly complex in its mechanics, too random and worst of all remarkably boring a lot of the time so I was really not planning on watching S2. But I am glad that I did. It shifts into sixth gear from pretty much the first episode and doesn't take its foot off the gas pedal.

The Hidden Inventory arc is short and honestly starts off pretty confusing with the whole girl who is a sacrifice to something (Star Plasma Vessel, what??) but it it has some amazing combat and teenage Geto is super cool. Toji was a badass antagonist and Gojo ascending was awesome. Also turned Gojo from a weird goofball into a godlike character for me.

But then comes the Shibuya Incident and man, that entire arc was wild. Non-stop adrenaline, plot twists, ever-expanding stakes and scope. Every character gets their moment to shine, and a lot of new characters get introduced. Really cool how a lot of characters and situations from the first season that seemed arbitrary come back here, the entire first season is basically a prologue to this. Had a really, really great time with this.

Only downsides are the very unrewarding finale (random time skip and information overload) and Yuji not really being the one to take down Mahito.

I love how even in the last episodes of season 2 there is still a voice over explaining whatever the hell is happening on screen because this show has a near infinite number of mechanics and it's impossible to keep track of it all. This irked me a lot in S1 because I wanted to understand but now I'm just whatever about it and going with the flow.

10/10 season.

GIbkoruaMAATlq_

Last edited:

GymWolf

I still have to watch the last 2 episodes of season 2.

The only flaw are the powers that are somehow hard to understand sometimes or the sub ita i was using were just absolute trash.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I still have to watch the last 2 episodes of season 2.

The only flaw are the powers that are somehow hard to understand sometimes or the sub ita i was using were just absolute trash.
Nah the writing and power system for JJK is incredibly sloppy and loose as fuck. The fanbase is constantly arguing with each other over a single sentence dictating certain power scaling. I doubt it's the subs. Final battle in the manga rn is a mess.

Top Bottom