• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice Department finds Chicago PD guilty of violating constitutional rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewt

EDIT:

Read the full report here:

-----

Yes, it's another thread about the Chicago PD, but this time it's not bad news. Well, it's bad news for the Chicago PD, but good news for those of us looking for acknowledgement that the department is corrupt as hell.

Read the full article at Chicagoist.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch will officially release the findings of the probe on Friday, according to multiple reports that surfaced on Wednesday.

The largest-of-its-kind probe will reportedly determine that the Chicago Police Department was found to be guilty of violating citizens' constitutional rights. Among the Justice Department's focuses were use of force, how racial bias factors into use of force and the department's police accountability structure.

The 13-month investigation was launched in December of 2015, after the release of police dashcam footage that showed the police shooting death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald. The footage showed McDonald moving away from police rather than lunging toward them, as officers on the scene had initially claimed. The disparity between the video images and the official account of events prompted massive protests in Chicago and national media attention.

The Justice Department was reportedly determined to complete and release the report ahead of Donald Trump's inauguration and the expected approval of Jeff Sessions as incoming Attorney General. Both have advocated for more extensive police latitude. At confirmation hearings earlier this week, Sessions cited low police morale—but not institutional failures—as a cause for gun violence in cities like Chicago.

Thank GOD they're releasing this before Trump gets into office and Sessions starts sweeping all of this bullshit under the rug.

I'll update the thread tomorrow when the full report is released and we have all of the details.

A pattern of the CPD violating citizens Constitutional rights? The same department that tortured hundreds of men in a basement, but still voted to give the lying, brute of a cop responsible his retirement pension? Im shocked.

Boney

Banned
But we need law and order to get rid of those street thugs.

With all the evidence they had against this shit department I'm glad it came to something. Eager to see the repercussions of this

That type of police investigation won't be happening after next Friday.

:|
If the Fraternal Order of Police gets what it wants, there will be military grade weapons on the streets, more racial profiling and stop & frisk, more stat chasing,and more Negros arrested for misdemeanors, all resulting in ineffectual crime prevention and homicide clearance rates staying the same.

StarVigil

giphy.gif

If the Fraternal Order of Police gets what it wants, there will be military grade weapons on the streets, more racial profiling and stop & frisk, more stat chasing,and more Negros arrested for misdemeanors, all resulting in ineffectual crime prevention and homicide clearance rates staying the same.

Which will then be used to ask for more funding, less obstruction and review, and more incarcerations and crimes against minorities and the poor.

It pains me to even say those things. I absolutely abhor what the police system in the US has become, if it was ever anything else to begin with.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

yeah, it's going to get worse for black people before it gets better

When's the next article about Chicago's outrageous homicide rate

That goes hand in hand with community/police relations and how they impact crime prevention and homicide clearance rates. It is talked about in the report, in the unlikely chance you had the slightest bit of interest in reading it.

Which will then be used to ask for more funding, less obstruction and review, and more incarcerations and crimes against minorities and the poor.

It pains me to even say those things. I absolutely abhor what the police system in the US has become, if it was ever anything else to begin with.
This was it intended purpose from the get.

Viewt

Thanks for the update! Added to the OP.

In a related story, I was listening to NPR last night, and they were talking about the Baltimore PD undergoing significant changes to fix issues highlighted in the Justice Department's report back in August.

With Sessions becoming Attorney General so soon, I'm not sure if the Chicago PD's feet will be held to the fire the same way, unfortunately, but I'm hoping enough can be set in stone before Trump's inauguration that at least SOME reform will be unavoidable. Here's hoping.

Mr. X

I'm hoping Sessions is genuinely bothered by getting called a racist so we have something to use regarding his inaction (doubt it).

Guevara

Here
Here
Here
Also Here

Did something make you believe that the subject of Chicago's murder rate is never brought up, or that GAF has no interest in it?

I think I was unclear before.

This report is important, but will be forgotten. The Trump administration won't continue this kind of investigation, and people tend not to care.

Whereas the steady monthly drumbeat of murder news (as you point out) will do far more to insulate cops from allegations of excessive force.

I think I was unclear before.

This report is important, but will be forgotten. The Trump administration won't continue this kind of investigation, and people tend not to care.

I expect more flareups once Van Dyke's trial for the murder of Laquan McDonald wraps. If Chicago is lucky, he'll be found guilty and will be thrown under the prison. If he's found not guilty, Chicago will burn and we'll start all over again. I don't think people will forget, but you're correct in that the incoming leadership will do everything in its power to demonize the victims of police brutality, just as Dubya, Bubba, Bush Sr, and Reagan did in the past.

Finally, during our investigation, we heard allegations that CPD officers attempt to gain information about crime using methods that undermine CPD legitimacy and may also be unlawful. In some instances, we were told, CPD will attempt to glean information about gang activity or other crime by arresting or detaining individuals, and refusing to release the individual until he provides that information. In other instances, CPD will take a young person to a rival gang neighborhood, and either leave the person there, or display the youth to rival members, immediately putting the life of that young person in jeopardy by suggesting he has provided information to the police. Our investigation indicates that these practices in fact exist and significantly jeopardize CPD’s relationship with the community.
lol, you dont say. These tactics arent even effective. The homicide clearance rate for CPD sits at 29%, "less than half of the national average."

The report also mentions that CPD has received 30,000 civilian complaints in the last 5 years, but only 2% were sustained, and of that 2%, officers were either not punished at all or were punished for some procedural violation much less serious than the original complaint.

Viewt

If the Mayor & PD agrees to work with the DoJ, Sessions and his underlings cant obstruct the reform process. The problem is Rahm Emmanuel is not a trustworthy or dependable mayor.

Not at all - he's a fucking weasel. I have zero faith in him to follow up on this in a clear, responsible way. He's also not up for re-election for another two years, so we'll need to wait until 2019 to find someone who will.

Viewt

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/doj-chicago-police_us_5876f814e4b03c8a02d57615?ebb4j2p5hpkzz1tt9

This is report is so fucking damning. And then people ask why Chicago is such a fucking mess.

Ugh, this one boils my blood.

We also found instances in which force was used against children in a retaliatory manner. In one incident, an officer’s neighbor called to report that some boys were playing basketball on the officer’s property. The officer, on duty, left his district to respond and found the teenage boys down the street on their bikes. The officer pointed his gun at them, used profanity, and threatened to put their heads through a wall and to blow up their homes. The boys claim that the officer forced them to kneel and lie face-down, handcuffed together, leaving visible injuries on their knees and wrists. Once released, one boy called his mother crying to tell her an officer had pointed a gun at his face; another boy went home and showed his mother his scraped leg and, visibly upset, said “the police did this to me.” The mothers reported the incident to IPRA. The officer, who had not reported the use of force, accepted a finding of “sustained” and received a five-day suspension. The officer was never interviewed and his reasons for not contesting the allegations are not documented in the file.

The Kree

Banned
I'd love one of these reports for all the police departments in the country tbh

Think of how depressed you'll be when you definitively find out that every police force in America is a human cesspool and the people who could do something to fix it don't want to for some odd reason.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/doj-chicago-police_us_5876f814e4b03c8a02d57615?ebb4j2p5hpkzz1tt9

This is report is so fucking damning. And then people ask why Chicago is such a fucking mess.

Literally every Trump supporter I saw on twitter was screaming bloody murder about the report (which they hadnt read), blaming Obama, Loretta Lynch for being "racist" or "bigoted", saying "they should be more excessive with those thugs!" "the murder rate will go up with this report."

Fox News wrote an article where they included about five sentences from the report, then deferred to the fired ex-police chief & graphs about Chicago homicide rate, because theyre narrative is that cops should be able to do whatever they want.

I feel like these right wingers actually want Chicago's crime problems to continue, because the strategy they advocate is the entire reason the report was produced, bashing people's heads in doesnt stop crime & it damn sure isnt helping with CPD's atrocious homicide clearance rate.

commedieu

Banned
Literally every Trump supporter I saw on twitter was screaming bloody murder about the report (which they hadnt read), blaming Obama, Loretta Lynch for being "racist" or "bigoted", saying "they should be more excessive with those thugs!" "the murder rate will go up with this report."

Fox News wrote an article where they included about five sentences from the report, then deferred to the fired ex-police chief & graphs about Chicago homicide rate, because theyre narrative is that cops should be able to do whatever they want.

I feel like these right wingers actually want Chicago's crime problems to continue, because the strategy they advocate is the entire reason the report was produced, bashing people's heads in doesnt stop crime & it damn sure isnt helping with CPD's atrocious homicide clearance rate.

I think that's the point. People want it to be OK for certain people. It's their status quo.

It's just a shame that in the information age, people will still rely on there own bias rather than read a report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom