• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kim Davis be praised! KY enacts "Bible Literacy Bill" for public schools

Wash, condition and cut my hair if old.

“Right now the language of the bill is very vague and the Kentucky Department of Education has not yet put together a curriculum,” Amber Duke of the Kentucky ACLU said Wednesday. “The concern, though, is that you could have a curriculum that is constitutional and could be delivered in a manner that is not constitutional.”

The Bible class as envisioned by HB 128 is a course solely "on the Hebrew Scriptures, Old Testament of the Bible, the New Testament.” The purpose is to “provide to students knowledge of biblical content, characters, poetry, and narratives that are prerequisites to understanding contemporary society and culture.”

It is also an elective, not a required course.

“They will not be teaching about the Koran or the sacred texts of other religions,” said Duke. “That would be more of a comparative religions class. This is a Bible literacy class.”

"The Bible could be used by schools within certain parameters and some schools did offer Bible as Literature electives," Nancy Rodriguez of the Kentucky Department of Education said in an email.

as of 2015 there were 3.3 million Muslims in the country and Islam was on pace to pass Judaism as the second-largest faith in the country

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kentucky-gives-blessing-bible-classes-public-schools-n777721

Who wants to bet the execution of this curriculum will be approached from a purely academic perspective?

PSqueak

Banned
So wait, forget about "separation of church and state" for a moment, there are no laws ensuring that Public schools have to be completely a-religious?

I thought that was a given for most developed countries.

So wait, forget about "separation of church and state" for a moment, there are no laws ensuring that Public schools have to be completely a-religious?

We used to but Conservatives lost the culture war on the national level. Now it's states rights and religious freedom to circumvent that separation.

I wonder how many Americans are just wishing they could be 50 different countries instead. To think Kentucky is in the same country as California.

sphagnum

Banned
If they keep it within the stated parameters of the purpose of the class, it's fine. The problem is that you know they won't.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
This will be sued, taken to the Supreme Court and then gotten rid of. What a waste of time.

Public schools are most definitely allowed to teach world religions and must allow individual students the right to wear items/clothing that demonstrate their faith, the schools themselves just aren't allowed to proselytize. This law is an attempt to dance on that line.

If they keep it within the stated parameters of the purpose of the class, it's fine. The problem is that you know they won't.

Yep, I actually enjoy religious study classes and such in a proper college environment but in Elementary school and High school you know instead it's just going to be a teacher evangelizing.

Top Bottom