• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kindle Paperwhite or Nook Simple Touch Glowlight?

krpiper

I have a 1st gen nook, that took a tumble when my bag broke today and the nook is no more :(

That being said I am looking at either of the two lighted eReaders.

I have bought a few books on my nook over the years. (I don't think its more than $50 wortth) but used it mostly to read epubs/pdfs. I also have Amazon Prime, so that shoves it in favor of the book lending feature.

The hardware seems to be better on the Kindle side (the lighting aspects anyway) however I was reading that the touch screen can be a little finicky and I like being about to push an actual button to turn the page (like on the nook, and my 1st gen nook)

What do you use GAF?

bigkrev

Lack of buttons on the touchscreen kindles is preventing me from getting the paperwhite. I have the 70 dollar kindle (with buttons) and it is a wonderful device.

If light matters to you though, just get the nook and enjoy not getting fingerprints on your screen

I currently use a Nook Tablet, which I like quite a bit. Not going to buy an HD until they inevitably release an updated one with a camera.

If you're just looking for a plain lighted e-reader, I've heard good things about the Nook Simple Touch w/glow light.

I've had no problems with my Nook Glowlight. Got it when they first came out.
I like the bezel size and the buttons are nice, but are a little tougher to press than they should be IMO. You do notice some areas that are brighter than others with the light on, but it's pretty negligible.
I wish Amazon would make a "throwback" kindle with the same design of the original Kindle(which I still own). Decrease the weight and add a front light and I'd still be using that thing.

I'll wait and see if it ever gets made, but I'm thinking about getting one of those Kobo Mini e-readers IF they come out with a front lit version like the paperwhite or the glowlight.
Size of the page doesn't really matter to me on e-readers and I would love the increased portability and decreased weight. The only downside I could see is the battery draining faster because of increased page turns due to smaller page size, but the batteries on e-readers are already crazy long that I wouldn't really notice a decrease.

But again, that's only if they come out with a lit mini-Kobo.

Cheebo

Banned
The light on the nook is nowhere near as good as kindle's and the kindle has a far better screen resolution.

Dragon

Banned
The light on the nook is nowhere near as good as kindle's and the kindle has a far better screen resolution.

The Kindle also has some serious DRM compared to the Nook, which is why I've always gone BN when it comes to e-readers.

Toby

The Kindle also has some serious DRM compared to the Nook, which is why I've always gone BN when it comes to e-readers.
Same. I've always liked that I have the capability to further open my Nook.
They're also usually less expensive than the kindle and have native support for epub.
If you have a Staples nearby, you may check to see if they have any Simple Touch OP. The ones around here have had them on clearance, the glow going for ~$70.

The reasons I decided to go with a Nook over Kindle:

Physical buttons
ePub
microSD
Can be rooted with Android (although I haven't gotten around to doing it, but hey, the option is there)

I don't have the GlowLight so I can't comment on that.

The PaperWhite does look nice but lack of buttons is a deal-breaker for me.

Top Bottom