• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Kong was released 90 years ago

VulcanRaven

Kingkongposter.jpg

King Kong premiered in New York city March 2, 1933. It was one of the early big special effect movies and is very influential to this day. I like the 1976 and 2005 remakes but this is my favorite. I might rewatch it today. Here is a great video about the effects. They used combination of different techniques:

They talk about it at 3:00.

2015091900002570.jpg

What you think about King Kong movies and which is your favorite? I like all of them except King Kong Lives and Kong: Skull Island. King Kong vs Godzilla (1962) isn't a very good movie but its fun to watch.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

King Kong must have blown minds at the premiere. Recently rewatched the remake (2005) and it's okay. Some dated effects but overall a pleasant adventure in line with the original. But I actually prefer Skull Island that came later. It had better action scenes and the cast was pretty good. But nothing beats the original though.

Insanely influential movie. Basically everyone doing fantastical movie stuff in the 70's and 80's were inspired by King Kong and 2001.

VulcanRaven

King Kong must have blown minds at the premiere. Recently rewatched the remake (2005) and it's okay. Some dated effects but overall a pleasant adventure in line with the original. But I actually prefer Skull Island that came later. It had better action scenes and the cast was pretty good. But nothing beats the original though.
Some effects haven't aged well in the 2005 remake but Kong himself still looks great. I didn't like Kong: Skull Island at all. Action was great but the story wasn't good. It just wasn't what I want from a King Kong movie. One thing I liked was that it reminded me a little bit of the 1976 remake. Kong walking upright and the time period.

Last edited:
Great movie and still easily the best of all the Kong movies. While it becomes more unlikely by the day, I still hope the cut "Spider Pit" footage is found.

VulcanRaven

Great movie and still easily the best of all the Kong movies. While it becomes more unlikely by the day, I still hope the cut "Spider Pit" footage is found.
I hope so too. Peter Jackson made his own version of that for the DVD extras.

I recommend everyone to watch the 1976 remake. It has some dated special effects but its a good movie with great cast. Very underrated. They released it in 4K in Europe last year:

220px-King_kong_1976_movie_poster.jpg

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The Jackson Kong is great when they get to the island but it definitely was a case of a kid in a candy store with him and weta it was all I'll have that and that and that and gimmie some of that and more of that, I always skip the first 30mins.. Skull Island was just pure brilliance, Samuel Jackson was sublime in it, love it.. hell I'm gonna stick it on after everyone fucks off to bed so thanks for reminding me about it, Kong Vs Godzilla is just leave brain at the door and enjoy the ride

Trunx81

I adore the classic and love Jackson’s slow approach on it in the remake. The foreshadowing is incredible. It just felt “epic”, with an amazing soundtrack as well. To bad that the cut to New York at the end feels so forced.

(But Jessica Lange from the 70s movie always will be hold dearly in my teenage wet dreams 😜)

Rival

Gold Member
I never watched the original all the way through in on sitting but I’ve seen most of it. I had the 70’s version recorded to a vhs tape as a kid and I watched that many times and loved it. I liked Peter Jackson’s version also.

VulcanRaven

There's an additional piece of footage for fans of the 2005 movie:
One of Weta's craziest projects. 8k video wrapping around the whole ride.
The elusive World of Kong book by Weta is available here for free:
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
It's their first book and the physical copy is super expensive today.

I have wanted to go on that ride for a long time. I think it replaced the old King Kong ride that was destroyed in a fire.

Good that the 2005 game is backwards compatible on Xbox. I was happy to see it in my game library when I got Series S recently. I bought it digitally years ago on 360.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I used to have an illustrated King Kong book that was based on the film script and it had stuff in it that didn't make the film, like the insect chasm. Damn, gotta find a copy again...

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
b1d43s8.jpg

Never seen King Kong Lives but this poster is AMAZING.

Seen the original, the one with Jeff Bridges, 2005 and Skull Island.

Idk which one is the best, Skull Island is dumb but fun.

VulcanRaven

I used to have an illustrated King Kong book that was based on the film script and it had stuff in it that didn't make the film, like the insect chasm. Damn, gotta find a copy again...
Is that the original movie novelization? I have the book but haven't read it yet.

b1d43s8.jpg

Never seen King Kong Lives but this poster is AMAZING.

Seen the original, the one with Jeff Bridges, 2005 and Skull Island.

Idk which one is the best, Skull Island is dumb but fun.
I haven't seen King Kong Lives in years. Its a bad movie but I should rewatch it. Linda Hamilton is in it. It was just released on Blu-Ray for the first time but only in Australia for now.

I recommend King Kong Escapes (1967). Its silly but I like it more than King Kong vs Godzilla.
King_Kong_Escapes_Japanese_Poster.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom