• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga's new album JOANNE out now (if anyone cares) |OT| It's not about the charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard her interview on Howard Stern this week and really like her as a person and appreciate how she carries herself, so I figured I would give this album a chance.

But, man, I just can't get into it. There's nothing wrong with the album, but it doesn't hook me in, despite some of the lyrics being really hard hitting and personal. The lyric content reminds me of Tori Amos and her early career (who I adore more than any other female artist), but the music just doesn't hit the target, especially considering the talent she worked with.

G0523

It's okay. But it's really not for me. It sounds more singer-songwriter than country. Not sure what kind of audience she's going after for this album though. It's not the fans who want electro-pop dance songs. Is it new fans? Either way, it feels like the album wants to be deeper than it actually is. But that's kind of Gaga in a nutshell. I wonder how this would be taken if she released Joanne under a different name (or her real name).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is Artpop hated in general? I dont know much about pop, but I really like Artpop. And Fame Monster, and Born This Way. She makes catchy ass tunes. Unfortunately this latest one is doing very little for me :/

Is Artpop hated in general? I dont know much about pop, but I really like Artpop. And Fame Monster, and Born This Way. She makes catchy ass tunes. Unfortunately this latest one is doing very little for me :/

ARTPOP unfortunately did get pretty mixed reviews. It definitely wasn't my favourite album of hers, but there were definitely some really great gems on it too. So I still liked parts of it a lot! But I agree with you 100% on Fame Monster and Born This Way. :)

Ahasverus

ARTPOP is Gaga trying to sound the blondest, dumbest, gayest, most vapid she could. Joanne is exactly the opposite. I'd rather get a Joanne than an Artpop.

Dalek

I heard her interview on Howard as well. I don't own any albums of here but man. The song she sang live brought me to tears and I don't think a song ever has done that to me. Much respect to her after hearing all her Stern interviews. She seems very nice.

Listen to this and be blown away.

https://youtu.be/ljdLx_vUZ2M

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I heard her interview on Howard as well. I don't own any albums of here but man. The song she sang live brought me to tears and I don't think a song ever has done that to me. Much respect to her after hearing all her Stern interviews. She seems very nice.

Listen to this and be blown away.

https://youtu.be/ljdLx_vUZ2M

that song is nearing #1 on iTunes again (#2 right now) but she is being stubborn and making A-YO the next single

soco

i enjoy some of the songs, but definitely not as good as her previous albums.

it strangely sounds more shallow and hollow than all of her previous work. :\

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
that song is nearing #1 on iTunes again (#2 right now) but she is being stubborn and making A-YO the next single

Sigh! A-YO would be the worst song on the album if Come To Mama didn't exist. I saw there's now a fan campaign to get Gaga and her label to change the next single to Million Reasons. It's like she wants to flop. Queen of self sabotage.

Shit. I'm listening to Artpop now and I'm not sure anything on Joanne compares to Gypsy. Is this my Zelda cycle?

It's the Gaga cycle. Same thing basically.

Joanne = Skyward Sword (everyone currently hates it)

ARTPOP = Twilight Princess (everyone used to hate it but is coming around on it)

Breath of the Wild = ???

Idk how I really feel about the album yet but TBH the mumble-mouth chitter-chatter at the beginning of John Wayne is soooo catchy I woke up with it in my head.

Monocle

Million Reasons grew on me in a big way, and the "mirror on a ceiling" part of A-Yo is pretty catchy. I heard a couple of other songs that didn't have as much of an impact.

Excited to check out the rest even though country is emphatically not my genre. I saw an interview the other day where she said she considers Joanna a pop album. Said it's not just country inspired. We'll see.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Million Reasons grew on me in a big way, and the "mirror on a ceiling" part of A-Yo is pretty catchy. I heard a couple of other songs that didn't have as much of an impact.

Excited to check out the rest even though country is emphatically not my genre. I saw an interview the other day where she said she considers Joanna a pop album. Said it's not just country inspired. We'll see.

yeah its not country

Sibylus

Banned
First listen didn't really do anything for me, but second listen and most of the tracks are starting to click. It's different. Quite so. But I like it.

Timeless

First listen didn't really do anything for me, but second listen and most of the tracks are starting to click. It's different. Quite so. But I like it.
Same here. Took a few listens to enjoy it.
It's not full country but it is country-esque. Not sure how you can deny that.
Certain tracks are not country, unless I just don't know what country is. (I've only heard it on the radio.)

I guess I could see "country-esque", but for anyone reading I'm not sure it's "esque" enough to turn anyone off who otherwise doesn't like country. I've seen it compared to Taylor Swift's 1989 (not a positive comparison for me, because I don't like much of 1989, but I think I can see it). I don't think 1989 is country. More pop or something.

Monocle

Oh damn Diamond Heart is really doing it for me.

Artpop is unfairly slammed, I feel. Solid album. Kooky and catchy, loads of variety. I still enjoy it.

iKhayal18

I don't like it :/ For me the best albums were The Fame and specially The Fame: Monster (Dance in the Dark is still my favourite track). Born this Way had some catchy songs (Marry the Night) and same with ArtPOP, at least for me (I loved Sexxx Dreams, Mary Jane Holland). But Joanne... It's just to slow and too country for my tastes. Perfect Illusion is catchy and Dancing in Circles is not but, but the rest of the album... I don't even want to add it to my iTunes library.

I guess it's good that each album has a different style and that she tries to reach new public, but this album is definitely not made for me and I won't buy it and if she does a tour and more than 60% of the songs are songs from this album, I don't think I'll go... (And I went to the Monster Ball and the ArtRAVE tours...)

zoukka

Always bizarre to hear popstars fall out from the chart recipes and just being below average in everything. The music is as shallow as pop, but without the tried and true catchy earworms/clubbing potential.

Terrible.

Etzer

I just heard this album. I know the sound she's going for with this album and I typically like this type of music but Joanne is just not a good example of it. These are the songs I skip when they come up on Google Music's Coffee House Blend station. There's nothing here that she does better than other artists with this with this style. I mean, you can have this sound with memorable melodies and more subtle lyrics.

isolated vocals from her snl performance https://youtu.be/G_7Mnx_JMgg

queen of singing!

Oh, she's a great singer. I love when she does a cappella, like on Howard's show on Monday.

It's just that the music aspect isn't up to par with her voice, which is a little sad. I think even though the pedigree of producers she had on this album are great, together they make things sound like a jumbled mess.

If only she could do work with BloodPop (aka Blood Diamonds) or someone like SOPHIE, without any other interference or multitude of producers putting their sound in.

Surfinn

I tried listening to this on the way out of work today.. found myself skipping almost all songs. My god this is a horrific album so far. The country element feels really fucking forced. I think she's a fantastic singer but her voice is excruciatingly overpowering in almost all of the tracks so far. Like it just drowns out everything else and grates on your ears.

Very disappointed, hope the tail end ends up having some decent tracks. Makes me wanna play her first album again and Monster.. those are great albums. Miss old Gaga.

It is like Madonna going in to pop country during the 90s.

No denying Lady Gaga has a superb voice, and some of the songs are very good it's just a crap album in general.

Artpop wasn't well received but it has a couple of my favorite songs (Gypsy and Applause) by her but think she needs to go back to the older stuff, I miss it...

DirtyLarry

Just wanted to say I heard the Stern interview on the way to work today myself, and it also brought me to tears. Super impressive as it was just nothing but pure, raw emotion.

That is the extent of my Lady Gaga listening so no opinion on the new album.

DR2K

Banned
This album is gutter trash. I love Gaga, but we have enough country folk singers with voices of angels blasting all over the country stations. Was hoping it would be good like her other albums.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Angel Down is pretty great, honestly makes me tear up a bit.

I also think her duet with Florence (who I just got really into---purchased Lungs today after having How Big How Blue for a year or so) is pretty ace.

Heart of Diamond (is Unbreakable) and Perfect Illusion are catchy, but I agree the rest of the songs aren't bad but not really memorable as some of her older ones were. I feel like she enjoyed herself making the album and that's nice.

It's not the most disappointing CD I recently purchased, that'd be Jimmy Eat World when I realized despite Sweetness being an amazing 10/10 song they basically have nothing else bar that one Taylor Swift lip-synced too.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Gave it a listen on Spotify.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Tove Lo is my new Queen. Queen of the Clouds and Lady Wood shit hard on anything Gaga has done after Born this Way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom