• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last night I had to put my cat to sleep

DaciaJC

Gold Member
and I don't know how to process it. I always feared when the day would come: he was 20 years old, so I knew it would be sooner rather than later, but it didn't make having to say goodbye any easier. He was pretty healthy and active for his age overall, but a couple of months ago during his annual visit, I learned his kidneys were slowing down. A week ago, I noticed he started to eat less, and it worsened until he wouldn't touch any food and was completely lacking energy. I had the slim hope that maybe it was just something in his mouth that was bothering him, a bad tooth or sores or something, but the vet confirmed his kidneys were failing and I found myself choking back tears when he said nothing could be done.

I spent much of yesterday sobbing and crying. This morning, I feel mostly numb. I'm thankful everyone in my family was able to say their final goodbyes, at least. He had been at my side for most of my existence, and now I'm trying to grapple with the fact that the single biggest source of joy in my life is gone. He was the most precious baby, the friendliest cat I'd ever known. He'd saunter up to strangers on the sidewalk and rub his face against their legs, he'd sleep over at neighbor's houses. He would love to jump up and sleep in my lap or hang off my shoulders like a child when he wanted to be carried. He was the one thing I could count on to make me smile after a shitty day.

As I type this, going through pictures and videos I have of him seems to help, focusing on positive memories instead of the grief from sudden loss. If any of you have pets, please hug them close and cherish every moment you're able to spend with them.

Rest in peace, Tiger. I couldn't have dreamed of a better little buddy than you. I'm grateful you lived a long and happy life and brightened mine in turn.

tTJ4TOj.png
uf87yD8.jpg
hYkFqPh.jpg

Humdinger

Aww, man, I'm sorry. I know how that can hurt. I had to have two dogs euthanized myself. We were very close, so it hurt a lot. I took some consolation in the fact that they had good lives with me, and that their bodies were just worn out. Euthanasia was an act of love. But man it hurt.

MastAndo

Damn, I'm sorry, OP. As an owner of an older cat and someone who has had to put a few pets to sleep in the past, I know how tough this can be. Time will heal all wounds and you'll eventually be able to look back on all the great memories with fondness instead of sadness. RIP Tiger.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hey listen man i just got a text the cat she had cared for since she didn't get along with mines got her shot today. Sorry. My own is old and it's coming. I just can't. My condolences friend.

Quasicat

I lost Quasi when I was in college 20 years ago and I still think about him. My kids ask me about him and I could tell them stories all day about how much I loved him.
I can tell that the two of you were truly friends and he looks so happy in his photos. I am so sorry for your loss.

Top Bottom