• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs reported at Hello Neighbor publisher TinyBuild | Job losses of up to 30 percent expected across studios

27364e_c6b95620a6f84d6cbd758f96f2d0b92d~mv2.jpg

Layoffs at publisher TinyBuild have been reported, following lower than expected performance during the financial year so far.

TinyBuild publishes indie titles and is known for the Hello Neighbor series, Potion Craft: Alchemist Simulator, and Tinykin.

Yesterday, the Telegram channel Gamedev we deserve claimed there had been layoffs at TinyBuild's three studios within Serbia, as reported by App2Top (Russian) and translated by Game World Observer. The number of employees affected is said to be between 10 and 30 percent for each studio.
Gamedev we deserve alleged that TinyBuild did not warn people in advance, and instead pulled people into a one-on-one meeting to deliver the news they had been let go. The report also claimed working conditions for employees in the Serbian studios have been deteriorating, and said TinyBuild had stopped paying for Serbian language courses for those who need them.
In a trading update from TinyBuild today, CEO Alex Nichiporchik alluded to layoffs within the company. "It's physically painful to part ways with colleagues after all the good work they put into the company," he wrote in his concluding message. Nichiporchik blamed a "weak demand for video games and the sudden reversal of market dynamics" for the company's low revenue and cash position (total amount of cash on hand including funds, assets etc.). "The only reason to justify this decision is that [TinyBuild] has entered a pivotal stage," Nichiporchik continued, "and I am committed to do everything I can to ensure we get through this tough period."

TinyBuild is yet to confirm whether it has laid off any employees and it's unclear exactly how many have been affected. Eurogamer has contacted TinyBuild for comment.

Stories of layoffs continue to dominate the industry. Today alone both EA and Embracer confirmed layoffs at F1 developer Codemaster and Insurgency developer New World Interactive respectively.

Not to be all doom and gloom, but it seems like every week there's a thread about a video game company having massive layoffs.

Even in the non-video game sector there's massive layoffs. I've heard through friends of 5% cuts in their jobs and even more. Surely a recession is on the horizon with all this?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
isnt this a shitty game? im not talking about the publisher though.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Not to be all doom and gloom, but it seems like every week there's a thread about a video game company having massive layoffs.

Even in the non-video game sector there's massive layoffs. I've heard through friends of 5% cuts in their jobs and even more. Surely a recession is on the horizon with all this?

*literally knocks on wood*

We're doing fine in the healthcare IT realm. I just got a second annual raise along with a market adjustment. I'm putting away a good $4K a month right now, have been for about a year, even after saving 9% of my pretax earnings into my 403b.

My brother is the exact opposite of me professionally, being a carpenter and small business owner, and he earned so much money last year that he was able to pay off his mortgage five years early.

I get that some people are hurting out there, but I guess my state is just doing fine somehow. Or something.

Bkdk

Looking at that image, surprised this dev and this game even survived. Probably means way more layoffs could be coming lol.

Top Bottom