• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look over Nintendo's relationship with Sonic the Hedgehog

Kurt

Nintendo should buy sega (and not only for the sonic franchise)
Sega has so many old franchise which never been used again (or almost never)
(alex kid & Wonder Boy in Monster Land)

JoeM86

Nintendo should buy sega (and not only for the sonic franchise)
Sega has so many old franchise which never been used again (or almost never)
(alex kid & Wonder Boy in Monster Land)

Nintendo has their own franchises to neglect, let alone adding Sega's to the mix :p

Sonic lost world reception is weird, when the demo came out and when seeing all the media for it, the game just looked great, just great graphics, 60fps, incredible soundtrack, etc. When ti came out reviews werent anything controversial, it got alot of 7.5s and such but nothing too bad or too good, the actual player reception treated it like the worse piece of shit ever, that kinda stuck out to me, I have yet to play it even to this day besides the demo, but it couldnt be that bad, and then people liked the DLC released for it.

about some months ago somebody made a thread asking how good lost world is really.
Not just hyperbole but people's honest feelings to it. Alot of the responses said that the game isnt all that bad, just the later levels goes down in quality, which varies from eh, to really bad to some people according to responses, I think almost everyone in the thread agreed it just needed a lil bit more time in the oven, but isnt sonic and the black knights bad or sonic 06 bad or anything.
Ah I can deal with that, might get it one day. Thanks Fox.

Let add my support for Lost world.

I thought it was a pretty solid game and when you had all the mechanics down, it was super awesome. Level design held it back somewhat but I would be ecstatic if they tried to do more of it.

Ban Puncher

This is my favourite Sonic appearance on Nintendo.

hAlVOq4.png

roknin

Very nice OP. As someone who lived the great decade-long console war of the 90's, to this day it is still really weird (in a good way!) to see Sonic and Mario on the same console, let alone in the same games together.

Wow, nice job with the list.

Sonic is a pretty natural fit with Nintendo hardware. I still hold out hope that Nintendo will make a Sonic game someday.

Same, I really hold out hope they'll try.

The point is we already got Sonic Adventure 3!
It didn't have a Chao Garden, therefore it wasn't Sonic Adventure 3. At least, not to me.

Sonic 06 had a bombed-out Chao Garden in the Bad Future (check the street signs in Crisis City), which automatically makes it not the worst Sonic game ever made.

MrBadger

I think Sonic Advance might be worthy of a mention since it wasn't just the first Sonic on Nintendo, it was the first Sonic made exclusively for a Nintendo system. And the best Dimps Sonic game. As much as I enjoy the speed-based games that followed, I do wish they reused Advance 1's physics a few more times.

Spades

Also, great thread! I love reading stuff like this.

Seconded, great job.

I really love Sonic games. I've wanted to pick up Sonic Boom on Wii U since it came out (mostly out of morbid curiosity) but I'm not paying full price for it. Amazingly, you still can't find it anywhere in the UK for around £20, which is the price I'd bite.

I think Sonic Advance might be worthy of a mention since it wasn't just the first Sonic on Nintendo, it was the first Sonic made exclusively for a Nintendo system. And the best Dimps Sonic game. As much as I enjoy the speed-based games that followed, I do wish they reused Advance 1's physics a few more times.

Yeah, this is pretty important.

I still hold out hope that Sega one day licenses Sonic out to Nintendo so they can make a Sonic game. In fact I honestly think the Nintendo-exclusive Sonic partnership should had stipulated that at least one (if not all...) of the games would be made by Nintendo rather than Sega.

But instead we got Sonic Boom, because Sega gonna Sega.

Platy

Awesome work on the OP ! =D

I would go with Sonic Battle .... that game was AWESOME and was basicaly a sequel to Sonic Fighters

MrBadger

Yeah, this is pretty important.

I still hold out hope that Sega one day licenses Sonic out to Nintendo so they can make a Sonic game. In fact I honestly think the Nintendo-exclusive Sonic partnership should had stipulated that at least one (if not all...) of the games would be made by Nintendo rather than Sega.

But instead we got Sonic Boom, because Sega gonna Sega.

Well it's not exactly like Sega would just hand over the rights to someone else to make a Sonic game for their big deal with Ninte......fuck.

My only dream is a world where Retro make a 2D Sonic

Awesome work on the OP ! =D

I would go with Sonic Battle .... that game was AWESOME and was basicaly a sequel to Sonic Fighters

Yeah, Battle was pretty damn good too. Love that game's art style.

MarkusRJR

I remember being so excited when Sonic came to Gamecube as a kid. My parents only let me get Nintendo consoles growing up and I grew up with the PC versions of Sonic 1-3. I remember staring at the DC versions of Sonic Adventure and wishing to play it on N64. When I ended up getting a Gamecube I probably played SA DX, SA2 B, and Sonic Heroes 3-10 times each.

I also remember clamoring for an Xbox 360 too when Sonic 06 was being previewed. Ironically I ended up getting a 360 at Final Fantasy XIII launch with FFXIII and Sonic 06. Needless to say I got probably the worst games in both respective series haha.

I've decided to make a full featured version of this at SonicStadium, and I'll do the handheld line-up there also.

Right now I'm up to Gems Collection, the article is more inspired by this so it won't be word for word, hell I'm adding more than I did here to the existing games. :p

It'll take some time, but luckily the bulk was done here and is a great reference point for me to fill the console line-up rather quickly.

Hope you'll all like it!

What i learned from this thread is Sonic started dying when they went to Nintendo. But then again they also are at fault for relying mostly on that franchise, the fact there still isn't a Phantasy Star V is crazy.

I remember being so excited when Sonic came to Gamecube as a kid. My parents only let me get Nintendo consoles growing up and I grew up with the PC versions of Sonic 1-3. I remember staring at the DC versions of Sonic Adventure and wishing to play it on N64. When I ended up getting a Gamecube I probably played SA DX, SA2 B, and Sonic Heroes 3-10 times each.

I also remember clamoring for an Xbox 360 too when Sonic 06 was being previewed. Ironically I ended up getting a 360 at Final Fantasy XIII launch with FFXIII and Sonic 06. Needless to say I got probably the worst games in both respective series haha.

That's some bad luck right there. At least you avoided Too Human.

Bumping again. I also made a point in the comments section I wouldn't mind sharing about Sonic on PS4 and Xbox One:

My theory is that the exclusivity deal had two effects; one was obviously to get said exclusives, but also, by preventing the series from showing up on PS4 and Xbox One early might severely reduce any odds of cultivating an audience, by that I mean it’s common for a system’s audience to be decided early on with any conflicting genres possibly being less likely to succeed.

Meaning that naturally Sony/Microsoft and 3rd-parties are mostly focusing on M-rated games and the typical “grim dark” games as it were, where as Nintendo has always prioritized the family and cartoony franchises. Obviously people want Sonic on PS4 and Xbox One, but do enough? From what I’ve seen in NPD listings, games like Lego and I think the Skylanders games do sell more on Wii U than the other systems, not entirely sure (Lego I’m more certain as I remember numerous times Wii U being listed before the other two in order).

But it’s also worth noting that Lego and Skylanders have been on PS4 and Xbox One longer than Sonic obviously. Case and point, it feels like even if they start putting Sonic on PS4 and Xbox One, the numbers likely won’t make the investment worth it (especially with the budget people want to see ala Generations and Unleashed) and a Wii U version of said game, like Transformed and Unleashed on Wii before it, will likely sell more on Wii U even with its far smaller userbase.

That’s my take. :p

bumpkin

What about Sonic Advance 1+2?

Sonic Advance 2 was the first Sonic game I bought for a Nintendo console (got it the same day I bought a GBA SP, as a matter of fact). It was pretty awesome. Never finished it though; got to a stage that had copious amounts of death drops and I never quite found my way through.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Bumping again. I also made a point in the comments section I wouldn't mind sharing about Sonic on PS4 and Xbox One:
That deal was most Def to get the majority of the sonic fanbase on the wiiU early on, even if they didn't need to, it keepz some from thinking that it just should be on those systems for whatever reason.

Christopher

I also get th vibe you were really into the adventure style of the games which I think a lot of sonic fans were ...who knows why they went from that to heroes and then whatever they did.

Sonic Generations was the last good sonic game I played

Terrell

Nintendo has their own franchises to neglect, let alone adding Sega's to the mix :p

Yes, because how could we forget that a franchise has to appear once every generation minimum or it's "neglected". *rolleyes*
Seriously, you wanna see franchise neglect? Go look at Konami. THAT is neglect.

Spinluck

Yes, because how could we forget that a franchise has to appear once every generation minimum or it's "neglected". *rolleyes*
Seriously, you wanna see franchise neglect? Go look at Konami. THAT is neglect.

Well, when you compare it to the volume of releases that their bigger mainline franchises get I think you can say it's neglect.

FZero GX is one of the GOAT racers (thnx based SEGA), and we never got a follow up.

I want a true Starfox sequel and not some handheld stopgap. We also deserve another Metroid Prime. I am probably forgetting some games, but this is how I feel.

My mind is blurring trying to think of anything Konami that isn't MGS or Castlevania. I am absolutely sure I've enjoyed games from them in the past but I cannot remember. Nintendo, SEGA, and Capcom have a cast of IPs much easier to remember.

Terrell

Well, when you compare it to the volume of releases that their bigger mainline franchises get I think you can say it's neglect.

FZero GX is one of the GOAT racers (thnx based SEGA), and we never got a follow up.

I want a true Starfox sequel and not some handheld stopgap. We also deserve another Metroid Prime. I am probably forgetting some games, but this is how I feel.

My mind is blurring trying to think of anything Konami that isn't MGS or Castlevania. I am absolutely sure I've enjoyed games from them in the past but I cannot remember. Nintendo, SEGA, and Capcom have a cast of IPs much easier to remember.

You're getting Star Fox this year, who knows about Metroid and F-Zero, though.

Metroid got 5 games across 2 generations, so I really think that fans of that series have no reason to be complaining right now.

F-Zero? Yeah, I can cede that it's been a while, but calling it "neglect" because you went a whole generation without one is just over-reaction.

As for Konami? Think Hudson Soft and one comes immediately to mind, at least.
And then there's Silent Hill, which hasn't just seen neglect, but outright abuse. Contra, Suikoden, Zone of the Enders. Basically anything that's not Metal Gear was locked up in the basement (most of them) or paraded around like a joke that wasn't funny.

You're getting Star Fox this year, who knows about Metroid and F-Zero, though.

Metroid got 5 games across 2 generations, so I really think that fans of that series have no reason to be complaining right now.

F-Zero? Yeah, I can cede that it's been a while, but calling it "neglect" because you went a whole generation without one is just over-reaction.

As for Konami? Think Hudson Soft and one comes immediately to mind, at least.
And then there's Silent Hill, which hasn't just seen neglect, but outright abuse. Contra, Suikoden, Zone of the Enders. Basically anything that's not Metal Gear was locked up in the basement (most of them) or paraded around like a joke that wasn't funny.

Bomberman definitely hurts the most to me. :(

Top Bottom