• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's take a moment to appreciate Metal Slug's soundtracks

The Metal Slug games, as we know, are better than your favorite games. One of many reasons for this is the fantastic music throughout the series. So, let's take a brief moment to listen to it:

Metal Slug 1

MISSION. ONE. START.

5TySeQE.gif

The original has the most iconic soundtrack in the series; many of the tracks are remixed in almost every one of the sequels. The game has the most "military" soundtrack of the series, thoroughly grounding the game in a time before Metal Slug had aliens, zombies, and snails that make you naked.

Highlights:
Main Theme - Is there a better way to start a series? Bombastic military marches, with a random-but-awesome jazz section in the middle.
Assault Theme - The most Metal Slug of Metal Slug music.
Final Attack - Alright, so the final boss is pretty lame. Still, his theme is great. Listen to it.

Metal Slug X

soxjwbR.gif

Metal Slug X is the best Metal Slug game. An alpha version, named Metal Slug 2, was accidentally released early, with its main feature being ridiculous amounts of slowdown.

Soundtrack-wise, though, it's probably the worst. There's some interesting tracks here and there, but for the most part it's just slightly higher-quality versions of music from the original. It works, but it's not particularly exciting.

Highlights:
Judgement - That opening guitar riff. The song kinda falls apart after that, but that opening is worth it.
First Contact - The aliens' theme. Like Judgement, the first few seconds are the best, with its ominous synthetic strings.

Metal Slug 3

One of humanities greatest achievements.

latest

After a disappointing soundtrack in MSX, MS3 stomps in and drops a ton of awesome music. There's a ton of variety, but the most striking thing is how the old "military" sound has almost been completely dropped in favor of more guitar-driven music; fitting, considering how Morden's troops are largely absent and replaced by aliens and mutated beasties. It's all-around fantastic, and the only real negative is that they still haven't ditched the dull Steel Beast boss theme.

Highlights:
Midnight Wandering - That guitar riff is god-tier. Best zombie theme in any game ever.
Desert - More awesome guitar riffs. It pulls off the "desert rock" theme far better than MSX's attempt.
Marine Diver - Jazzy-sounding underwater theme.

Metal Slug 4

The one with all those FUCKING MUMMIES

latest

MS4 jacks pretty much all of its assets from previous games (assets that aren't recycled are frankenstein'd. Sad but true), so it's pretty surprising that the soundtrack sounds pretty much nothing like the previous games - in fact, it's the only sequel in the series that doesn't remix any previous tracks. With its absurdly catchy melodies composed of a cool blend of rock and synth-orchestras, this has probably gotten the most playtime from me. Definitely gives off some cool spy-movie vibes.

Highlights:
Let's Run Through! - Saxaphone over a plodding guitar. You can't go wrong.
Snowy Road - Die Another Day would've been 10X better if it had this theme. Will we ever know what that guy with he muffled voice like he's talking through a radio is saying? Probably not.
Secret Place The single best track in any Metal Slug game. Thumping four-to-the-floor beat, soft piano, cool riff, and lots of clanging for good measure. It has everything.

Honorable Mention: The boss theme, for not being Steel Beast.

Metal Slug 5

The one with a slide for some reason.
latest

It's rocking, it's hard to the core, and I made a thread about it! Go read about it there.

Metal Slug 6

The one with Emperor Demon Gyaba

latest

The music in this game is like a really trippy version of MS4. Their are dance beats, synth orchestras, and guitar riffs, but it draws from a huge variety of genres: Asian techno, trance, rock, orchestra, etc. There's a lot of misses (like them reintroducing Steel Beast wtf), but when they work, it's awesome.

Highlights:
Asian Impact - A kickass Asian/techno fusion theme heavily featuring pan flutes (?).
Biotoxic - The best boss theme in the series. Creepy strings mixed with synths and crushing bass.

Metal Slug 7/XX

The second best Metal Slug game.
Crabmecha.gif

This is probably the most consistently great soundtrack in the series. It returns to the original's bombastic military themes with a fantastic orchestral soundtrack. Its remixes of classic tracks like the Assault Theme work fantastically and, so far as I'm concerned, completely displace the originals. Just a fantastic game all around.

Highlights:
The entire thing.
Underground Fortress
Ruins Base
Beast of Beat 9/8

TL;DR: Metal Slug's soundtrack is phenomenal and is crucial in developing the series's amazing atmosphere. Pretty much every track gives me intense nostalgia for when I first played each game.

Fordy

Maybe not the thread to post this, but I've always thought about giving these a shot. I noticed 3 is on offer on the Vita - worth a punt?

Mask

Metal Slug 3's Zombie Theme is probably one of my favorite game themes. I even learned how to play it on guitar!

Maybe not the thread to post this, but I've always thought about giving these a shot. I noticed 3 is on offer on the Vita - worth a punt?

Metal Slug 3 is a game everybody should play.

Just bear in mind that it's a bit longer than your typical arcade game. The last level is about half an hour, assuming you don't die (you will). It's generally regarded as the best in the series, but I personally prefer X (remake of 2) and XX (remake of 7) a bit more.

Fordy

Metal Slug 3 is a game everybody should play.

Just bear in mind that it's a bit longer than your typical arcade game. The last level is about half an hour, assuming you don't die (you will). It's generally regarded as the best in the series, but I personally prefer X (remake of 2) and XX (remake of 7) a bit more.

Thank you - bought. On the longer levels I guess this is where Vita's sleep mode helps :)

The music/soundtracks are almost always overlooked due to the fantastic animation.Which is a shame,because as you've demonstrated there are some fantastic soundtracks.

klee123

Living on the deck is a great track.

Personally I love the OSTs in the first 4 Metal Slug games. They have very awesome jazzy tracks which I'm a big fan of.

The guy who did the soundtracks for MS 1-3 also did the OST for Neo Turf Masters. The game also had some really awesome tracks which at times sound similar to the Metal Slug OSTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87FL8LWE9sg

That track in particular, especially the Saxaphone bit is just awesome.

OK!

I think that the perfect Slug game is the first, because it is the right length.

But my favourite (and fave videogame ever) and the most epic game is 3. If only they had shortened the final level (it seems crazy saying that) and, or made it a little easier in the final stage it would have been even more amazing.

I really like to play 3 for the first few levels, but I really wish the vertical section came sooner.

Now, controversy .... 2 > X I think 2 has the beter palette, and layout. Yes slowdown sucks expecially for 2 player, but there is a fix for the MVS cart available - I will try to find this shortly.

On topic, as someone else mentioned, Stage 2 of Slug 3 has : FLY AT 13TH FRYDAY NIGHT! I love that track, probably my fave Slug tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omMSgjePnfY

EVH

Is Metal Slug 7 really that good? I hated the series after 3. The newer ones are just boring to me and the bad music is another nail in the coffin.

I think this happened after they changed the dev team?

By the way, this series is the pinnacle of pixel art.

Is Metal Slug 7 really that good? I hated the series after 3. The newer ones are just boring to me and the bad music is another nail in the coffin.

I think this happened after they changed the dev team?

By the way, this series is the pinnacle of pixel art.

It's fantastic in my opinion. Some people complain that it's "more of the same", and they aren't necessarily wrong, but if you aren't completely burned out on the franchise I can't imagine not liking it. It's better than 4/5/6, at the very least.

MS4 and MS5 are the only ones that were outsourced. 6 & 7 were both done by SNK Playmore.

Agreed that MSX is the best. 3 is pretty awesome too, tho I need to get around to playing it fully.

I wish the console version gave you a set amount of lives and then you game over when you run out, but I guess that's sort of counter to the arcade nature of just going for high scores. Although doesn't the PSP/wii collection do that?

Agreed that MSX is the best. 3 is pretty awesome too, tho I need to get around to playing it fully.

I wish the console version gave you a set amount of lives and then you game over when you run out, but I guess that's sort of counter to the arcade nature of just going for high scores. Although doesn't the PSP/wii collection do that?

The Xbox port of 3 makes you restart the level when you use a continue. Beating it is probably the hardest thing in video games. Mission 5 . . .

Now, controversy .... 2 > X I think 2 has the beter palette, and layout. Yes slowdown sucks expecially for 2 player, but there is a fix for the MVS cart available - I will try to find this shortly.

Definitely an unusual opinion. The lack of variety amongst the supernatural enemies kills it imo. Mission 2 in particular suffers from this, since the standard mummies are absurdly easy to handle and just feel like bullet sponges.

Top Bottom