• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk launches: Nintendo Wii U (November 18, 2012)

120v

i used to buy nintendo hardware day one, even bought a virtual boy full price. but something about wii u just felt ... off. so i figured i'd just wait for a price drop or whatever

and that never happened. hopefully most of the library will make it to switch or future hardware. either way i'm glad i trusted my gut. if i ever see it dirt cheap (unlikely as that is) i'll pick one up

I have pretty fond memories, if we're being honest. Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendoland, and ZombiU all made for a fun launch, and it was nice being able to use old Wii controllers I already had for multiplayer seeing as the system had a lot to offer in that regard early on. However, the momentum hit it like a freight train, and it was a lot of waiting for the next great game. And it was pretty evident early on the Gamepad was going to be tricky to utilize in a compelling way... But the biggest issue with Wii U is it was "too little, too late." Fans were clamoring for an HD nintendo system, the Wii looked abysmal compared to the PS3 and 360 once HDTV adoption was everywhere. The Wii U felt like it was about 2 years too late, the hardware was comparable to the 360 and PS3 at best, frustratingly limited at its worse, and just months after its launch, we knew about two systems that would completely blow it away. Time was the worst part of Wii U, it felt immediately dated/obsolete, and had the gamepad been some great innovation maybe it could have grabbed people more, but it was obvious pretty early on that wasn't happening.

Top Bottom