• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Levels/Sections of games that would be almost impossible to beat without a guide

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Complete the entire bestiary in FFXII without a guide, since a lot of enemies appear in very specific conditions that the game doesn't even tell you. It was basically "buy a guide or gtfo".

So many things in FF7, 8 and 9. I'm sure other FF's are guilty as well, but Square was absolutely trying to sell strategy guides back in the day with some of the ridiculous things that were nearly impossible to figure out on your own. Even if you stumbled across a few of the things, there were dozens of other missables throughout the games that you would almost certainly not find.

I don't miss those days tbh. I used to think that was a great feature of old school gaming, but my OCD brain really hates stuff like that these days.
Yeah, just every FF game in the PS1 and PS2 era had a bunch of unfathomable shit in it. But it was absolutely the norm in Japan to put that kind of stuff in games to sell guides since the 80s, and they kept happily doing it until the internet came to shit on their parade. Remember FF9 and its abridged guide full of PlayOnline links? Bizarre times.

Comandr

apDPA0V.jpg

This game doesn’t tell you shit.

This is some of the worst game design ever. I absolutely hated these kinds of games as a kid, and it's also the reason why I loved Lucasarts adventure games so much. Fuck King's Quest and many other Sierra games.. 😅
Agreed. Fuck King's Quest and Sierra games especially hard, but fuck most adventure games in general. You have to read the minds of the games creators to understand the solutions. There were so many times when I was playing these games I would say to myself, "But I could accomplish the same goal with three other items in my inventory. Why is this one particular item, that was hidden in some other obscure place that I had to back track for 20 minutes to find, specifically the solution?"
I remember playing Myst on a demo disc long ago for the Playstation 1 (or maybe PS2 can't remember too well), that made me quickly realize that this genre wasn't meant for me.

rogr rogr

There's a certain door in Elden Ring. The guides give you the solution for opening it, but don't mention where the information comes from. So I'm assuming it isn't accessible in-game.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I remember the cans puzzle in 7th Guest
I have a hard time believing that but a handful of people finished that game without help, in spite of it apparently being very popular. Thankfully there was an in-game hint book that would solve the puzzle for you if you read it three times. I don’t think I’d even get past the first puzzle without a guide, and that board game thingy under the microscope cheated worse than Mario Kart.

DelireMan7

There's a certain door in Elden Ring. The guides give you the solution for opening it, but don't mention where the information comes from. So I'm assuming it isn't accessible in-game.
Which door ? The Frenzied flame one ?

If you mean this one, Hyetta (if you've done her quest) will be there and gives you a hint of what to do (this week I just witness a friend of mine find out the solution like this).

Rien

Jelly Belly
I have a hard time believing that but a handful of people finished that game without help, in spite of it apparently being very popular. Thankfully there was an in-game hint book that would solve the puzzle for you if you read it three times. I don’t think I’d even get past the first puzzle without a guide, and that board game thingy under the microscope cheated worse than Mario Kart.

Yeah me neither. The first one was with the spiders in the door if I remember correctly. That one was doable without the guide but after that it was a disaster. Thank god my friend had the guide

kicker

Banned

If you mean this one, Hyetta (if you've done her quest) will be there and gives you a hint of what to do (this week I just witness a friend of mine find out the solution like this).

Yeah, if you're talking about the door to ghe three fingers, once hyetta's there she says 'divest yourself of all ..." or something like that. People would probably try removing armor items baed on that, so not too obtuse.
Getting all the eyes and meeting her at the specific points to make sure she ends up at the door though? Yeah, that's basically impossible except you scour the map every time.

Top Bottom