• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long Lines And Sell-Outs For Dragon Quest XI In Japan

There is no reason to wonder, it is fact. Japanese gamers prefer owning their games. And why wouldn't they, if they don't want the game anymore they could always sell it.

Festival wasn't my words, it's from an interview asking people why they lined up for DQXI

More importantly purchasing things digitally in general still hasn't caught up to US/European levels in Japan.

mrmickfran

I think this has been the case for nearly every Dragon Quest game for a long time now. It's like a national holiday over there.
Lmao that's amazing.

I hope the next Persona has a day off from school and the text says: "Today is Dragon Quest Day, so you have the day off from school"

Koppai

When I played Yakuza 0 there was a side mission where a kid was lined up to buy a game. Remember I believe the game was set in the 80s so it seems to be ingrained in their culture. Although us westerners are starting to do it too. Wait is the Switch version out yet?

Lmao that's amazing.

I hope the next Persona has a day off from school and the text says: "Today is Dragon Quest Day, so you have the day off from school"

Well, Yakuza 0 did have a side-quest where you try to help a kid get his copy of DQIII after he stood in a line for hours(AKA the time between you first speaking to him in the line and finding him again)only for a mook to steal it on his way home to play it with his dad. Funny quest where each time you beat the thief it turns out someone stronger already took it.
The strongest guy is a yakuza with a gun who it turns out is the kid's father who had been searching for the game since release for his kid but couldn't find it in any stores so he took it from the second to last thief only to deeply regret it when he hears that it originally belonged to a kid. Then his kid shows up.

Edit: Ninja'd

KtSlime

When I played Yakuza 0 there was a side mission where a kid was lined up to buy a game. Remember I believe the game was set in the 80s so it seems to be ingrained in their culture. Although us westerners are starting to do it too. Wait is the Switch version out yet?

That game is non other than Dragon Quest 3. (in the game it is Arakure Quest 3)

mrmickfran

Well, Yakuza 0 did have a side-quest where you try to help a kid get his copy of DQIII after he stood in a line for hours(AKA the time between you first speaking to him in the line and finding him again)only for a mook to steal it on his way home to play it with his dad. Funny quest where each time you beat the thief it turns out someone stronger already took it.
The strongest guy is a yakuza with a gun who it turns out is the kid's father who had been searching for the game since release for his kid but couldn't find it in any stores so he took it from the second to last thief only to deeply regret it when he hears that it originally belonged to a kid. Then his kid shows up.

Edit: Ninja'd
Haha, yeah I remember that quest in Yakuza 0.

Isotropy

If only they had read this thread and saved themselves the trouble.

Oh, don't take that so harshly. People were looking for reasons as to why it hasn't hit the highest heights sales-wise - doesn't mean it isn't a loved series.

As for the sales - hopefully it hits things big. Success for AAA JRPGs is always good.

Top Bottom