• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long live the King! Michael Jackson to appear in new Pepsi ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCReuter

I think his crazy, broke, worthless family deserves more scorn in this case.

Why? His family had nothing to do with this.

The Michael Jackson Estate is controlled by John Branca (lawyer) and John McClain (music executive), not the Jacksons.

Anth0ny

hologram-tupac-shakur-at-coachella-2012.1.jpg

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine™!"

Hologram MJ concerts are next

and I'd be there front row

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
hologram-tupac-shakur-at-coachella-2012.1.jpg

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine™!"

A local company of mine, Digital Domain, is the one responsible for Hologram Tupac. They're making a whole division around hologram performances now.

I don't know if I'm supposed to be proud about that.

BosSin

How is it tasteless?
Ok, there's 3 ways you can look at it:

- A family that I'm guessing is pretty well off in comparison to normal people is still trying to squeeze every penny out of Michael Jackson's image, rather than letting him go.

- As relatives of Michael, this is an easy way to support the entire family if they ever fall on hard times. If you look at it this way, Michael would want them to use his image.

- Coke tastes better than Pepsi

Ok, there's 3 ways you can look at it:

- A family that I'm guessing is pretty well off in comparison to normal people is still trying to squeeze every penny out of Michael Jackson's image, rather than letting him go.

- As relatives of Michael, this is an easy way to support the entire family if they ever fall on hard times. If you look at it this way, Michael would want them to use his image.

- Coke tastes better than Pepsi

You could also look at it this way:
Michael Jackson was an artist who wanted his music to have a wide audience. This cross promotion will create publicity for the release of Bad 25 (and hopefully a Bad tour DVD/Blu-ray) later this year. None of us could speak on the behalf of the deceased, but I imagine that most artists would be happy to see their work reaching a new generation.
In my opinion, this is probably one of the more tasteful things the Michael Jackson estate has done.

Anth0ny

You could also look at it this way:
Michael Jackson was an artist who wanted his music to have a wide audience. This cross promotion will create publicity for the release of Bad 25 (and hopefully a Bad tour DVD/Blu-ray) later this year. None of us could speak on the behalf of the deceased, but I imagine that most artists would be happy to see their work reaching a new generation.
In my opinion, this is probably one of the more tasteful things the Michael Jackson estate has done.

PLEASE GOD

SCReuter

The Estate of Michael Jackson released two statements today:

We are thrilled to bring Michael and Pepsi back together, as they were in 1988, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the BAD album and Tour and to put Michael on one billion Pepsi cans – perhaps a Guinness record. We're excited to see it all come to life.

We want to thank fans for all their positive feedback on this morning's announcement about the Pepsi deal. Michael did three successive deals with Pepsi, on the Victory Tour, the Bad Tour and the Dangerous Tour, so this extends a long and very successful relationship with the brand. Michael would have loved that we are making the record books with his image on a billion cans around the world. And the campaign will be a great kickoff to the celebration of the 25th Anniversary of BAD.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the Pepsi promotion, and I'm totally looking forward to the "BAD 25" album.

I guess this is slightly off topic, but a re-issue single of "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" (the first single released for Bad in 1987) has been listed at several online retailers, including Amazon.com. The CD seems to also include a previously unreleased song called "Don't Go Messin' Around," which was recorded during the production of Bad. The release date is listed as June 8th. Still no official announcement though.
http://www.sanity.com.au/products/2210951

eastmen

Banned
I really don't see why people care about this guy. He made good music but thats about it. People seem to eager to forget everything else he has done.

Bad 25 and a Bad Tour Live in Wembley DVD were announced today. Not really sure if this warrants a new thread, so I decided to just post it here.
Official Site: http://bad25.michaeljackson.com/
Press Release: http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/ne...ad-celebrated-september-18-release-new-bad-25
Store: http://www.myplaydirect.com/michael-jackson/features/26880082
In addition to the original 11 tracks, the two CD 25th anniversary edition of Bad will include early versions of songs from the original album, unaltered outtakes of songs that weren't on the original album, and remixes from "internationally renowned DJ/producers" (please don't be Skrillex)
Along with Bad 25, a DVD of Michael Jackson's July 16th, 1988 concert in Wembley, London will be released. According to the press release, this DVD is sourced from a VHS tape, so don't expect great picture quality. :(
The album and DVD are both due to be released on September 18th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom