• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen 2 Coming in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriken

Lords of the Fallen 2 won't be released until 2017, and German developer Deck 13 - co-developer of the original - will not be involved.

"We are not working with Deck 13 right now," he confirmed. "We are starting the project, we start from the concepting, but we definitely will be working with a lot of partners."

Also, LoTF has passed 900k sales

CI Games boss Marek Tyminski also told me at Digital Dragons in Poland that sales of Lords of the Fallen 1 had passed 900,000.

"It's doing fine," he said of the original game, which launched in October 2014. "We are over 900,000 units. Not yet 1m but we are approaching that. And definitely it's a good start for the new IP. Definitely we can say that Lords of the Fallen 1 proved the IP made sense."

More at the link
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-29-lords-of-the-fallen-2-will-launch-in-2017

Lock if old

I managed to snag it when they had the XBL pricing of $9 for a few hours, not a bad game but it's got that Euro-jank to it.

Cleve

Good. This game was under appreciated, it wasn't flawless but I think a sequel could really clean up the rougher edges and turn in to something great.

Fisty

Why wouldnt Deck 13 be involved? Seemed from reviews and impressions that there was a solid foundation in place and iteration would improve the IP greatly... why doesnt Deck 13 get the chance to do this?

EDIT: Missed "co-developer" part, wonder what happened behind the scenes

I really wanted to love lords of the fallen but for 90% of what I played I had a bug where the AI keeps looking at you no matter what, so you could never roll or evade an attack and get a back attack in.

I never knew until it was too late and in the end sold it :(

Lords 2 really needs to crush the bugs out of it's system as a key priority.

funkypie

Banned
Happy that they were able to make a profit with what we would we would normally call low sales. I wish Middle tier games would return.

komplanen

I'll gladly buy the first one when Steam Summer Sale comes along but it looked too generic and janky for me to pay full price.

I enjoyed the first one. I wonder how much of that is due to Deck 13 and how much is due to CI Games. I wonder if the change of dev will change how the game plays.

UrbanRats

I wish they'd drop the price of LoF1 already. I was hoping to pay $20 or less for it by now.

Was dirt cheap on Nuuvem not too long ago, when i got it.

I have yet to play it, but it looks like it could be decent fun, even if i hate the art design with a passion.
And no character creation was also a huge mistake.

KyleP29

I really wanted to love lords of the fallen but for 90% of what I played I had a bug where the AI keeps looking at you no matter what, so you could never roll or evade an attack and get a back attack in.

I never knew until it was too late and in the end sold it :(

Lords 2 really needs to crush the bugs out of it's system as a key priority.

Yea the bugs were awful and what did me in.

Got about 3/4 through the game and to a boss that was giving me a little bit of trouble and ended up beating him only for the game to crash exiting the door to the area. Only save was before the boss and tried a few more times and beat him again only for the game to crash. Sold it the next day.

zelas

Does Deck 13 no longer being involved mean this game will be more or less BUGGY AS HELL? Because of the bugs I barely made it halfway through the game before quitting. The core gameplay was somewhat entertaining so hopefully a sequel will be improved in all areas.

xrnzaaas

Lords of the Fallen 2 has changed creative course and in the process shed executive producer Tomasz Gop. He announced his departure on Facebook and discussed it more in an email exchange with me this morning.

In a news conference, relayed by Eurogamer Poland, employer CI Games said: "We're grateful for his input, but we have different visions for further development of the series and Tomasz will not be a part of CI Games' progress.

"We want to reach a wider audience for this game. That's why we're building a richer story. We're aware that these aspects could've been better in first game, so the story is a big point of the sequel, along with robust fighting system. We want to bring something fresh to RPG games."

Full production will begin late 2015, with writer Jess Lebow (Guild Wars, Forgotten Realms) conjuring the story, and Paul Robinson (Full Spectrum Warrior, Killzone 2, and a former US Marine) as creative director.

Over email, Gop said: "I want to respect CI's will to keep that [the reasons for their parting] between me and them. I wanted all the best for Lords but there's going to be someone else leading the project and we'll see if it will make it more successful than I could.

"I made [up] my mind a couple of days ago," he added, "we just wanted to figure out the best communication for both sides."

It's up to CI Games whether they keep the work - no production "but relatively advanced concepting/vision" - the team, under his guidance, had done.

Gop is still technically an employee of CI Games, he said, but is being allowed space to use his time now to look for new job opportunities. Those needn't necessarily be in Poland, he added. Before Gop helmed Lords of the Fallen he was spokesperson for The Witcher 2.

"I want to make games," he said. "I feel like I can add value to triple-A projects with my experience and would like to. I don't know what I'll do yet, but I'll be happy to even consider relocation for the right opportunity."

Lords of the Fallen made a capable debut last autumn. It mimicked the Souls series heavily, with ideas of its own, and from what I know of Tomasz Gop, it's perhaps further in this combat-centric direction he wanted to push the sequel. Nevertheless, with primary Lords of the Fallen 1 developer Deck13 also parting ways with CI Games, the sequel could feel very different indeed.

CI Games hopes to release Lords of the Fallen 2 in 2017, and will lead development in-house but lean heavily on outsourced work from around the world, particularly China (a similar approach was used for Lords 1).

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...xec-producer-tomasz-gop-and-changes-direction

I reckon fans of the Souls games aren't going to be happy about these changes. Looks like they'll be going for a more casual approach to increase sales numbers.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...xec-producer-tomasz-gop-and-changes-direction

I reckon fans of the Souls games aren't going to be happy about these changes. Looks like they'll be going for a more casual approach to increase sales numbers.

I think the Souls gameplay comparison was the game's biggest strength, but also its biggest weakness, as the game compared unfavourably to the Souls games in every way.

Moving away from the Souls-wannabe template for the sequel might force the devs to be a bit more creative and give the game its own identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom