• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: A whole bunch of movies, and I need suggestions for more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically I decided to take the week after the holidays, but before my next semester started, to watch a ton of movies. I put an emphasis on all time great movies that I had never seen and movies by directors I really like but hadn't seen every movie they'd done. It's been really enjoyable, except that I feel like a fat lazy bastard. And it's hard to let any movie sink it, so i'm not entirely sure how I feel about them. But anyway...

In the last few days I've seen:

Hateful 8
: Tarantino is my favorite director and i'd say this is about in the middle of his filmography, in other words, I loved it.

Apocalypse Now: Great, great movie. The cinematography and sound especially were incredible. I don't even know how they managed to make this movie, loved it.

Raging Bull
: I love Scorsese. This was solid, but not one of his best.

The Prestige: Extremely entertaining movie.

The Usual Suspects: I really liked this while watching. But it hasn't stuck with me very well. Probably needs a re-watch at some point. But very good movie.

The Big Short: This is still in theaters. Everyone please go see this movie.

The Departed: THIS was the Scorsese I know and love. I loved this movie.

Also, on the way from Amazon: There was a $90 Alien Anthropology collection + Prometheus on blu ray. With all the behind the scenes footage, theatrical cuts, directors cuts. etc. Basically this:
ZZ382CBD0D.jpg

And it just happened to be on sale for $20 while I was looking. I've seen Prometheus (meh) and Alien when I was young, so I don't remember much except for that one iconic scene. And I hear 3 and Resurrection suck? I'd love some advice on which cuts of the movies to watch, and if I should even bother with the last two.

Oh, I also bought Gangs of New York because I love Scorsese, even though I hear it's not one of his best. But c'mon, Daniel Day Lewis!! (And it was only $5).

I would love some more suggestions of 'must see' movies that I can watch before school starts again on Monday. I have no qualms about buying movies off Amazon if there's no other way to watch. But they have to be Blu-Ray, and cheap. Netflix and Amazon Prime are also available. I'm not unwilling to stream it from the internet, but it's not ideal for a few different reasons.

Quickly:
-I think Nolan makes extremely entertaining movies.
-I think Scorsese makes great movies
-If I was making a top 10 list, as much as I'd try not too, I feel like I'd put at least 3 Tarantino movies in there. So yea, I really like Tarantino.
-The only way that I really deviate from the norm quite a bit is with Stanley Kubrick. I LOVE the premise of 2001: SO, I find the movie amazingly boring. I tried to watch Clockwork Orange and couldn't finish. I don't want to discount all of his films, but he is 0/2 with me so far.
-Other than that I'm about as average as can be.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to suggest something that I've seen. So here are the top 100 movies as voted on by you fine people, I'll bold what I've already seen.

*I've seen it, but I really need to watch it again to have any sort of opinion on it.

2001: A Space Oddysey
Blade Runner
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
The Godfather
Alien*
Pulp Fiction
The Dark Knight
Lawrence of Arabia
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Godfather Part 2
The Shawshank Redemption
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Apocalypse Now
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Seven Samurai
Fight Club
Goodfellas
Jaws*
Mulholland Drive
There Will Be Blood
Star Wars: A New Hope
Lost In Translation
The Matrix
Rear Window
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Vertigo
Spirited Away
Once Upon a Time in the West
Taxi Driver
Citizen Kane
12 Angry Men*
Aliens
Jurassic Park
Die Hard
The Shining
No Country For Old Man
Back to the Future
Children of Men*
Casablanca
Dr. Strangelove
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Lion King
The Thing
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Fargo
Memento
In the Mood for Love
Stalker
Heat
Princess Mononoke
Schindler's List*
Chinatown
The Social Network
Ghostbusters*
A Clockwork Orange
Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi
Inception
The Third Man
Good Will Hunting
Se7en
Groundhog Day*
Rocky
Zodiac
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Sunset Blvd.
The Avengers
The Thin Red Line
Hot Fuzz
The Tree of Life
Annie Hall
Before Sunrise
Interstellar]
M
Leon: The Profession
Oldboy (2003)
The Terminator
The Seventh Seal
Amadeus
Hara-kiri
Inglorious Basterds
Wall-E
Bicycle Thieves
Drive
High & Low
Memories of a Murder
Saving Private Ryan
Toy Story 3
Forrest Gump
Amelie
Days of Heaven
Once Upon a Time in America
Persona
The Incredibles
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Dark City
Eyes Wide Shut
Ran
Akira
Jackie Brown
Predator
That's a general idea. But obviously there is no need to limit ourselves to just this list. And I know I've kind of made this thread all about me. But feel free to talk all things movies in here. Thanks Gaf!

The Fly
Ghostbusters

I do really need to see Ghostbusters again as an adult. $7.50 on Amazon...deal.

The Fly... I know literally nothing about it. It's highly rated though. The Blu Ray is only $6.50, although it doesn't fit my usual criteria for buying a movie. Any other opinions on this one?

Seen There Will be Blood. Really like it. DDL was fantastic.

The Thing
Seven Samurai (and then the rest of Kurosawa's filmography)
Lawrence of Arabia
Good the bad and the ugly
Citizen Kane
In the mood for love
There will be blood
Hunger
M
Sansho the Bailiff
Nosferatu (original and Herzog's 70's remake)
Days of Heaven
Touch of Evil

The Thing
Seven Samurai (and then the rest of Kurosawa's filmography)
Lawrence of Arabia
Good the bad and the ugly
Citizen Kane
In the mood for love
There will be blood
Hunger
M
Sansho the Bailiff
Nosferatu (original and Herzog's 70's remake)
Days of Heaven
Touch of Evil
I know i'm terrible for not seeing most of these. Kane, Good Bad Ugly, Arabia in particular. But the Blu Rays are expensive. And they aren't available on any kind of streaming service. Rest assured they are on the list though.
You haven't seen Heat? Please do.
Don't know much about it. Will look into it.
Memento, now.
Why is the Blu Ray so expensive?! Why didn't I watch before it left Netflix?? Rest assured this one is very high on my list.

Thank you all.

I know i'm terrible for not seeing most of these. Kane, Good Bad Ugly, Arabia in particular. But the Blu Rays are expensive. And they aren't available on any kind of streaming service. Rest assured they are on the list though..

I think Good the Bad and the Ugly is periodically on Netflix. If you want more recommendations that aren't on the best movies list I can throw some lesser known great movie suggestions your way too.

A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More

Really great movies by Leone, personally I think For a Few Dollars more is a good as The Good The Bad and The Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West

FloatOn

I watched 3 movies recently that I've been putting off for whatever reason. All highly recommended!

Ex Machina
Whiplash
Boyhood

I think Good the Bad and the Ugly is periodically on Netflix. If you want more recommendations that aren't on the best movies list I can throw some lesser known great movie suggestions your way too.

Awesome. I guess I will wait for Good Bad and the Ugly to show up again. I definitely wouldn't mind some lesser known suggestions.

How about that, Good Bad and the Ugly and Fistful of Dollars are on Amazon instant video.

Also Dr. Strangelove (Let's not go 0/3 Kubrick)

See ya later fellas!

(I'll let you know what I think.)

Strangelove was a very solid movie. Very funny. I do wonder what it would've been like to watch it at the height of the Cold War. Good flick.

Good Bad and the Ugly turned out to be three hours long! So I'll have to wait until tonight to watch that one.

Strangelove was a very solid movie. Very funny. I do wonder what it would've been like to watch it at the height of the Cold War. Good flick.

Good Bad and the Ugly turned out to be three hours long! So I'll have to wait until tonight to watch that one.
I really think you should also watch For a Few Dollars More, There's a pretty good contrast between the character Lee Van Clef plays in both movies

Kebiinu

Banned
Coming off the holiday cheer, you have to catch Krampus it's such an excellent film. I'll drop by with more suggestions later.

Is that some kind of trilogy that has to be watched on a certain order?

Only trilogy in spirit, you can watch them in whichever order you please, though I think there's a kind of progression showing how Clint got his getup if you watch them in a certain order.

Main reason I am so adamant is because it seems most people overlook this one for some reason

amaretto

Frances Ha
Enough Said
Zero Dark Thirty
Under the Skin
Mommy
Margaret
Gone Girl
Carol
Melancholia
Short Term 12
Tangerine
Two Days, One Night
Queen of Earth

All of these films are female centric, just in case you have a day where you want to bask in the glory of some of modern cinema's most exciting & complex portrayals of women.

lednerg

Go make yourself an account at MovieLens. It's a movie recommendation site that's run by the computer science lab at University of Minnesota, so there's no ads or spam. I've used it for years and it's given me pretty solid recommendations, all based on other users' input.

Silver Linings Playbook....I saw this with my girlfriend at the theater and wasn't expecting much, I thought it was just another Romcom. Turned out to be my favorite film that year.

Scavenger

Good movies on that list and in other suggestions. I would also like to recommend The Raid 1&2 which are two of the most intense action films in recent years. Skip the US release of The Raid 2 if possible because it's censored. The Canadian release is uncut.

It's also worth noting that some of the movies on the list such as Heat and Ran are getting new Blu-ray releases this year based of new 4k masters.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
The Prince of Egypt
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Prisoners
The Motorcycle Diaries
Macbeth (Polanski & 2015)

I've heard very good things about the Three Colours Trilogy.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Blue Valentine (watch this alone)
Drive
Warrior
Insomnia (Nolan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom