• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Chrono Trigger

How did you like that game?

Looking back, do you think it was as good as Final Fantasy VI?

Or maybe its direct sibling, Chrono Cross?

Did you find the romance between Crono and Marle believable?

Will Square and Enix revisit in the future, or is it dead for good?

Soule

First play through was in the GameCube era and it felt new and innovative then. Game is like a fine wine and I'm jealous of those that still get that first sense of discovery going through it

Jezan

It's one of my favorite games ever. I didn't know much english back then so I had to read everything make sense of the little I knew and explore the world to find the next clue.

I didn't find the romance believable because there was nothing leading to it, I took Marle's quest to bring him back as her being genuine friends with Crono after all the adventures together, besides Marle also made good friends with Lucca so while Lucca was thinking of the implications of breaking the timeline (by bringing Crono back) Marle was inspiring everyone else to do it no matter if they break the timeline in the end they would find a way to fix everything. Besides for me they were kids, the art , their way of talking, everything made me think they were 15 yo, Lucca being older, maybe 17-19.

Also I think the sprite work was way better than FFVI, in FF they had limited motions for all actions, like attacking they just put an arm out and a sword comes out, while in Trigger the sprites were bigger and they looked way better. Bonus points when you travel to the future and find it destroyed then learning why.

angelic

Banned
Never played it and discovered DBZ late (so I didnt know who Toriyama was back then), cant wait to play it on my snes mini.

Justinh

I didn't play it until after I played Final Fantasy VII. I went to a bud's back when I was in high school and he was like "If you liked FFVII, you'd love this (probably even moreso since I loved Dragon Ball).

I never finished FFVI, but I liked Chrono Trigger more from what I played (FF6 location spoilers
up until Kefka's tower
). I think I like it more in JRPGs when you have a few characters instead of a lot of characters from which you choose your party (I actually can't think of another game like this other than 6, though).

I can't remember specifics about the story (I should give it a replay, it's been many, many years. I still have it on DS and PS1).

I didn't get far in Chrono Cross. I wanted to, but I just couldn't wrap my head around the combat for some reason. I can't remember why it confused me so much, but at the time I just didn't feel like learning. I guess I was just hoping for more of the same.

I would guess I sorta expect them to revisit that well in the future, since whatever it ended up being it would probably make money based off its name, but I'd hope they'd get the "right" people to work on it.

I played it for the first time last year on the DS, and for the last week or so I've had the urge to play through it again.

I think I liked it a little bit more than FFVI, but it's pretty close.

CEJames

It's dead, Jim. But nonetheless, great classic game. Played it a long time ago on an emulator and then played it again with the DS remake.

Odie_Esty

Personally while I liked the overall relationship between crono and Marle I thought the scene where he tries to shower with her was a little weird. I know it's just a humorous exchange, but given the culture we live in now it definitely taints my perception of the work. Still, one of the best turn based combat systems period.

shimon

It's dead. But I loved it. On par with FF6 for me. Or maybe slightly ahead? Not sure now lol

Oh and music was fantastic :)

I played Chrono Trigger for the first time on PS3 and game is one of the best I ever played. I'm still early on FFVI, but game is just okay so far. Not understanding the hype for that game.

notBald

I liked the story, the music and the artwork, but I did lose interest towards the end. I did finish, but can't recall the ending, I think I just used a walkthrough for those final bits.

High point was the battle with Magus.

Better than FFVI? I think so, yes. Better battle system, and I liked the combination techniques, though I feel they could have done more with them.

Also, the only reason I got myself to finish the final part of FFVI was the vanish doom exploit. The whole
destroy the world
thing destroyed my interest.

Really want to complete it after so long. Is it possible on PS3/PS4/PSVita (EU)?
You can get it on Android. I got it there. If it's on PS3/4, I'm guessing it's the PS1 version.

I like the game alot, but I do not think its better than FF6. I also didn't really like CC at all. Sure, Crono and Marle's romance is believable, I guess. Would but cool if Square revisits it, but most likely not. You never know, though.

Been playing it for the first time over the last couple of mont and really enjoyed it, the music and effects are really good.

Sadly though I have just run out of steam playing it.
No idea why though.

I've gotten the ship and now finally gone underwater/ground to find the thing.
Two twin monsters just battered my party and I don't feel compelled to carry on.

Cato

Banned
Sorry for thread necro, but

I did not find Chrono's and Marla's romance belivable. Honestly, I didn't even notice there were romance between them (possibly as I almost never had Marla in my team).

That all said, I played the original SNES version and it was absolutely awesome. I really really enjoyed this game and will try out the sequel.
I liked some of the really clever time travel puzzles.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yep. Really enjoying this game. Have started it a few times to get it right.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It will never die.

I wanna play it again, now that you brought it up.

Shifty1897

I keep waiting for a Pixel Remaster (or literally any way to play it on a modern console) before I replay it for the hundredth time.

That's not an exaggeration btw. I played this game exclusively for at least a year in 1995/1996. I also bought and played the crap out of the PS1 and DS versions.

Irobot82

SNES had some banger RPG's back in the day

FFIV
FFVI
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

All legendary status.

Last edited:
It is very good. It deserves all of its praise. That said, I do prefer playing a few other old-school JRPGs.

Dungeon Explorer II (PC Engine CD)

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)

Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)

Krathoon

The Steam version seems good, but it is missing the Robo movie for some weird reason.

I don't remember if there were any quality of life improvements.

It also has the orignal intro too. The DS version clipped it off.

Top Bottom