• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Expendables 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJRB

Gold Member
More like "Late to the Genocide", am I right? I mean holy shit, the bodycount must be in the tripple digits. Anyway, I saw the first movie when it came out and was pretty disappointed. It was just a weird movie and I didn't really feel it. The jokes were off, the action was off, didn't like how everybody was just fighting each other for no reason. However, I feel this one is even weirder. Huge rant incoming.

The story is absolute garbage, no doubt about it. I'm not sure if that's intentional, I can only hope it is. Because sheesh, American Ninja had a better story than this [not really]. But I understand it's only a vehicle for crazy action and surreal cameos, and the movie delivers in spades.

The opening is fucking insane, with three vehicles and six guys straight up destroying an entire village of bad guys. Stallone drives a motorcycle into a helicopter for fucks sake. First cameo: they rescue Arnold Schwarzenegger. Fucking awesome! Soon after Jet Li bails out, never to return. Why? He had like 3 minutes of screentime.
Anyway, the movie kind of drags a little bit with the bizarre Christmas love story where Stallone's character seems annoyed/jealous/angry at Statham's character Christmas and his clingy girlfriend. Why? I don't know, because apparantly she's a slut and cheats with everybody. And Statham doesn't care. Or something, I guess. It never gets resolved but it does result in a lot of bizarre "tension" scenes between Statham and Stallone where they scold at each other for no reason whatsoever.

Yeah, second cameo: Bruce Willis. Fucking awesome! Dude is my hero, glad he's back. Anyway, some super-barebones plot device brings the team to Albania or something, but not before we get a tearjerker story from the handsome new kid about his loving girlfriend and how he misses her and shit. We all know where this is going.

Enter third cameo: Jean-Claude van fucking Damme. JCVD. Holy shit! Dude was amazing throughout the movie though grossly underused. His stoic behaviour, completely unphased about anything was incredible. I really enjoyed him as the bad guy, even though all he does is sitting shotgun in a truck or being a cartoon-villian asshole. Should've had way more fight sequences. JCVD versus 20 miners or something, whatever.

Bunch of blabla, some extremely wooden dialogue which is supposed to be witty banter, I don't know. Terry Crews and Randy Couture are extremely underused. Especially Crews has easy laughs on his side but he's never used. Drago was amazing as the psycho, but most of the joke scenes fell completely flat because they lacked a punchline. Most of them were simple "point and laugh at this fucking idiot", which was a shame because there's nearly limitless potential with these guys.

Fourth cameo: Chuck fucking Norris. Out of nowhere, Chuck Norris appears and takes out a batallion of men and a fucking tank. Stallone thanks him and Chuck leaves. Fucking insane.

Some nonsense happens, crazy stuff, Absurd shootout in a village where for some reason Statham is dressed like a priest, Drago does something silly with makeshift dynamite and O SHIT Schwarzenegger is back! Sweet! Holy moses, Bruce Willis is also back! Enter massive shootout in an airport because fuck it why not. Remember, no Russian! I noticed myself having a HUGE grin during this sequence, and this sequence was worth watching the movie for. Seeing Schwarzenegger with that huge auto-shotgun standing next to Bruce Willis and seeing them just mowing down 593 people was incredible. So freaking cool. Schwarzenegger looked badass, that part where he just casually walks forward while shooting the gun was lifted straight out of Terminator 2, super cool. And Bruce Willis was incredible as well. Bizarre scene with the Smart car where Arnold rips off the door, fucking crazy. O fuck Chuck Norris is also back! This whole sequence is like a rollercoaster of testosteron-induced craziness.

Then Stallone and JCVD have a fistfight. Or at least, they exchange a few punches. It's super short and super disappointing. In reality, I don't think Stallone would be a match for JCVD, but this movie is Stallone's so he wins because of reasons and there is a happy ending where they all laugh in the plane and drink beer.

Overall this movie was pretty terrible because it has huge potential but pisses most of it away. The jokes and banter were bad, the story is garbage, CG and fake blood was bad, several scenes were dubbed over and that was extremely noticable, the whole "tension" thing between Statham and Stallone was awful especially because there was no resolution, I gave zero fucks about the new characters, the movie has a lot of weird cuts/scenes/dialogue that are just bizarre: Stallone's "lucky ring", the coffee dialogue between Couture and Crews to name a few. But in the end it was worth it for the Schwarzenegger/Willis airport scenes.

tiAEqqS.jpg

Fuck yeah!

Anyway, what say you, GAF?

Ultima_5

Van damme should've been in the 3rd one as a twin brother. Only thing that makes perfect sense in this crazy world of ours

zeemumu

That Chuck Norris joke was so damn forced and corny that I couldn't help but laugh at how ridiculous it was.

Wolfe

I definitely had more fun watching it than I did the first one, also was pretty surprised/impressed with the
kicking giant knife into new guys chest
scene as it was pretty bold and didn't look as corny as it could have.

The fact that JCVD was a glorified cameo disgusts me. Dude should've had way more screentime, especially at the expense of the shitty platonic relationship Stallone has with the asian girl. So forced.

Wolfe

The fact that JCVD was a glorified cameo disgusts me. Dude should've had way more screentime, especially at the expense of the shitty platonic relationship Stallone has with the asian girl. So forced.

I read he wasn't interested in the first one because he thought it wasn't serious enough (or whatever, I'm paraphrasing!) Be glad he was even in the second one.

Also lol at "disgusts me". :p

SJRB

Gold Member

What was up with that anyway? At some point during the movie I was like "...is this a romance? What is going on?"

And at the end when he tells Schwarzenegger and Willis to fuck off while he talks to her, I was legitemately worried he was going to kiss her or something. Fortunately that didn't happen.

Also - Stallone looked rough in this movie. Like, old. He looked old and tired, mumbling half the time. I was kind of shocked at first, really.

I definitely had more fun watching it than I did the first one, also was pretty surprised/impressed with the

When they ran over to him, a short while after he had a small sword kicked right through his heart and he just goes "urrgghhh....I'm dying!" I think my brother and I couldn't stop laughing for a good couple of minutes. Meanwhile people in the front row were turning around giving us the evil eye as though we were ruining some super emotional moment, good times.

Van Damme was goddamn amazing, Lundgren gets a thumbs up as the only other person in the movie who realised how fucking stupid the whole thing was. Everything else about the movie was a trainwreck.

Wolfe

When they ran over to him, a short while after he had a small sword kicked right through his heart and he just goes "urrgghhh....I'm dying!" I think my brother and I couldn't stop laughing for a good couple of minutes. Meanwhile people in the front row were turning around giving us the evil eye as though we were ruining some super emotional moment, good times.

Van Damme was goddamn amazing, Lundgren gets a thumbs up as the only other person in the movie who realised how fucking stupid the whole thing was. Everything else about the movie was a trainwreck.

I'd give you the stink eye too if you were laughing audibly in the theater for "a good couple of minutes". I'm not saying that scene was above getting laughed at but being rude to the other people watching the movie is kinda lame :p

I couldn't help it! Van Damme roundhouse kicks a gigantic knife right through the guys heart, jumps onto the chopper with a sly wink and a shit-eating grin by which time our heroes run over to their buddy.

"I'm dying!" No shit, it's a miracle you're not dead already...

"Tell my girlfriend....."

No matter how hard I tried to suppress my laughter I couldn't do it, I'M ONLY HUMAN DAMMIT!

And it's Expendables 2, they didn't miss anything of value because Van Damme was off screen by then.

It was a fun movie, and far better than the first. That's it, really. I can't imagine why you wouldn't have lowered expectations due to the fact that this is a meat-headed action throwback.

Van Damme clearly had a great time playing the villain; he was awesome.

thenexus6

Yeah it was crap, like the first one but I still watch them and looking forward to the third one. I like seeing these people on screen (the old school people, don't even know the new guys).

If they kept Chuck Norris a complete secret this would be be x10 better

You realise you just set my expectations for this movie on impossible levels, right?

If you knew me you'd know that I don't invoke the name of that movie lightly, the only warning you need is that it's a relatively low budget movie with a really shitty CG chase sequence near the start. Other than that it's Guy Pearce channelling the spirit of Joe Hallenbeck for 90 minutes.

You can watch the first 5 minutes here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rcXEx3XsA

After I saw this movie in the cinema I was so happy I danced a jig right there.

I'll watch EX3, but The Raid and The Raid 2 raised the bar for action so high that it'll probably be really disappointing on that front. Hopefully it will hit that nostalgia sweet spot at least.

inm8num2

EX2's greatest transgression was playing The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly's theme to Chuck Norris' entrance.

Don't do that again.

kswiston

Watched this last night. The first Expendables movie was a guilty pleasure throwback to the types of action movies I watched as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s. This one was just terrible. I'm not sure where they spent that $100M budget (besides padding the actors' pockets) because the effects were just a step up from an Asylum movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom