• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (PS3) 2007

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
rcf-banner.jpg

Ratchet and Clank to me is the number 1 Sony platformer, it’s fantastic and I had the honor to play PS3’s “Tools of Destruction”.

9QuCbJR.png

The demo had a huge impact on me I was able to play it at a Babbages, or “eb games” I don’t remember which.

ebgames.jpg

The environments are great, this game came out 17 years ago and it’s just funny how nobody brought it to my attention and if it matters back in 2007 I was in the 7th grade playing 360 coming home to play COD2, 3, and 4 multiplayer that’s it.

IMG-3869.jpg

89 is a high score and that matters.

Ratchet, Clank, Qwark, Tachyon the enemies I liked.

Ratchet carries the load, obviously having success on the PS2 that aggressive gun gameplay is back.

2Tq4-0.gif

Some guns have energy blasts, there’s so many, I loved the “predator launcher”.

Fantastic game, what did GAF think of “Tools of destruction”?

Kerotan

My PS3 is dead so I can't play this game anymore. :(
I am probly doing that nostalgia everything old is better thing but I think Future tools of destruction is the best of the Ratchet and Clank games.
You can stream them all through PS Premium. Except quest for booty which is on USA version but not most of EU.

LRKD

Absolutely hate ToD and every game that has released after it. I played the ps2 games to death on the ps2, and replayed them for years until 2013 when I FINALLY got a ps3, and the Future games. I had high excitement for the future games that other Ratchet fans had been hyping up for so long, to finally get to play it myself... AND oh, insomniac retcons Ratchet as the last of his species chosen one, even though we met another of his species before. Oh and clank is retconned to? how nice... Now instead of fun writing, we have someone who hates the original games retconning everything to make it more like the hollywood movies he was never good enough to write for.

Oh well at least the games will have surely improved on the honestly kind of boring strafe jump shoot gameplay of 2, 3 and deadlocked, and maybe make it more enjoyable and engaging like the first game? Oh no it's still just strafe jump shoot, and the maps? Nope, maps haven't improved, and platforming still hardly exists... great. Oh but the series still has it''s sick music right? Nope, that is gone too. Well surely, they still have the cool weapons right that was one of the big things the series was known for? Oh no, now we have the groovitron and MR ZURKON.

I was hit with disappointment after disappointment plaything through the games. Years of waiting and hype to finally play some new games from one of my favorite series, and I found the series hadn't advanced at all, and instead had regressed. I'll still always love R&C's PS2 games, and the first game will always be on my shelf of favorite games of all time and I still replay it frequently. But both the series and insomniac as a studio is absolutely dead to me. I feel like going from ps2 insomniac, to ps3 insomniac is going from gamers making games, to a corporation making products. Anyways, that's just my own feelings towards it, I know many people love the future games, and even the newer ones. If that's you, cheers to you. And glad you enjoy them :messenger_peace:

Kuranghi

Absolutely hate ToD and every game that has released after it. I played the ps2 games to death on the ps2, and replayed them for years until 2013 when I FINALLY got a ps3, and the Future games. I had high excitement for the future games that other Ratchet fans had been hyping up for so long, to finally get to play it myself... AND oh, insomniac retcons Ratchet as the last of his species chosen one, even though we met another of his species before. Oh and clank is retconned to? how nice... Now instead of fun writing, we have someone who hates the original games retconning everything to make it more like the hollywood movies he was never good enough to write for.

Oh well at least the games will have surely improved on the honestly kind of boring strafe jump shoot gameplay of 2, 3 and deadlocked, and maybe make it more enjoyable and engaging like the first game? Oh no it's still just strafe jump shoot, and the maps? Nope, maps haven't improved, and platforming still hardly exists... great. Oh but the series still has it''s sick music right? Nope, that is gone too. Well surely, they still have the cool weapons right that was one of the big things the series was known for? Oh no, now we have the groovitron and MR ZURKON.

I was hit with disappointment after disappointment plaything through the games. Years of waiting and hype to finally play some new games from one of my favorite series, and I found the series hadn't advanced at all, and instead had regressed. I'll still always love R&C's PS2 games, and the first game will always be on my shelf of favorite games of all time and I still replay it frequently. But both the series and insomniac as a studio is absolutely dead to me. I feel like going from ps2 insomniac, to ps3 insomniac is going from gamers making games, to a corporation making products. Anyways, that's just my own feelings towards it, I know many people love the future games, and even the newer ones. If that's you, cheers to you. And glad you enjoy them :messenger_peace:

I'd say I enjoyed the 2nd PS2 game (can't member subtitle) and A Crack in Time equally, for different reasons, but if we're talking overall ACiT edges it out.

Bond007

Amazing game- i played a demo reluctantly and was like holy shit.
I didnt really like any of the Ratchets prior- but this one got my onboard with all future games. Havent missed one since.
This series is generally the type of game i platinum. Insomniac games always have legs for me

AndrewRyan

It was the first ps3 game where the motion controls were actually fun. Flying the glider was great and also the weapon where you steered the ammo around a room was fun. Also remember it being way too easy with no way to increase the difficulty. Tried not upgrading the armor but was still too easy. Otherwise, loved it.

Top Bottom