• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Vampyr (w/ PS5 Update)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Put some more time into it last night.

Made it to the Sewer Beast, boss of Chapter 2. I guess that's the wake up call when it comes to combat. I was doing decent enough with dodging but just not dealing enough damage. Went and leveled up some, should be able to take him out tonight.

I think the combat is pretty fun, the talking aspect is kind of a slog though, just slows the game to a crawl. The map is honestly kind of awful, hard to tell where you can go and where you can't. I find myself mostly wandering trying to get to where the game is telling me to go. No fast travel either so far, that was a pain trying to get from the sewers back to the hospital.

I'm still enjoying it though, the game has had a few moments that worked well and I hope it keeps up that way.

Put some more time into it last night.

Made it to the Sewer Beast, boss of Chapter 2. I guess that's the wake up call when it comes to combat. I was doing decent enough with dodging but just not dealing enough damage. Went and leveled up some, should be able to take him out tonight.

I think the combat is pretty fun, the talking aspect is kind of a slog though, just slows the game to a crawl. The map is honestly kind of awful, hard to tell where you can go and where you can't. I find myself mostly wandering trying to get to where the game is telling me to go. No fast travel either so far, that was a pain trying to get from the sewers back to the hospital.

I'm still enjoying it though, the game has had a few moments that worked well and I hope it keeps up that way.
You do kind of get used to the map eventually

There are a few short cuts around, from the hospital going south if I remember, there are places you can "blink"/vampire jump thing, across the water from docks onto a boat on other side to take you near the pub from near the beginning.

There's some blink skips in North East (? Going off memory here) from buildings towards the top area

Only area I hated back tracking to was the area you started in. Leave it until very end if you're trophy hunting, and do everything in one go, there's a few sidequest stories and things to collect

If you're playing a nice vampire I found the 2 handed weapons that stun did well, meant you could get a free bite or extra swing in every now and again depending what you needed at that point

Last edited:

JayK47

Tried this on Gamepass a while back and got my ass kicked a lot and stopped playing it. Grabbed it for free on Epic and am playing again and loving it. I must have wandered down the wrong alley on my first playthrough or something. I'm afraid to rest because it causes more people to get sick. So far only killed the one guy during the "tutorial".

oji-san

Banned
Yeah good game, bought it couple of years ago on PS4 but didn't get too far. Then when the PS5 got a 60fps patch i tried it again and loved it. I remember doing some "bad" choice in one of the areas, but it didn't seems like a bad choice so i ended up losing all the characters in that area, but even so you get enough to bulid your character and it wasn't a problem.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
iu

I've been aware of this game, almost bought it a few years back but (unwisely) got Call of Cthulhu instead, lol. Was browsing my PS+ games last night and remembered that Vampyr was available a while back.

They also released a PS5/XSX update a few months back (Oct 2021), v. 1.09. 60fps w/ improved visuals. PS+ version is 1.09 too. Pretty stoked to try this out.

Anyone play this? I've always heard that it's a sleeper hit. I peeked at metacritic and it has it's fair share of negative reviews but honestly, what do they know? lol.

Would love to hear some thoughts from those who have played it. Minimal spoilers/details please. Trying to go in without preconceived notions.

I watched the full trailer.

Where the changes came out ???

john-travolta-meme.gif

MaKTaiL

I played on PS4 and got platinum when they gave it on PS+. Despite all the HDD streaming issues (game would freeze for 30 seconds to load parts of the map constantly) I absolutely loved the game. I'm pretty sure on PS5 with an SSD this issue will be pretty much solved. I highly recommend it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I didn't get too far in the game, I liked the atmosphere and combat but the map system is absolutely terrible. For the life of me I couldn't navigate to where it was telling me to go and just grew tired of it and quit playing.

graywolf323

I didn't get too far in the game, I liked the atmosphere and combat but the map system is absolutely terrible. For the life of me I couldn't navigate to where it was telling me to go and just grew tired of it and quit playing.
basically what happened with me too, I played it on the One X back at release and was really excited for it but the map is so bad, they desperately needed to patch in fast travel...

I have this on pc, and got quite far into it, but then I think I lost interest or something else came out that took me away from it.

It's definitely worth a look if you like Souls (lite?) type games.

For me, though the setting is very different, it reminded me of The Surge.

JayK47

Wrapped this up. Truly a choices matters game. It was so much better than I thought it would be. Such a great game. Dontnod makes such great games. I really hope they make a sequel. So much potential.

JayK47

The only criticism I have of the game is the amount of traveling required later in game. With no fast travel, you spend a lot of time going back and forth, especially if you are doing side missions for the townsfolk. They really want you to see every inch of the game.

Top Bottom