• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lyft suspends operations in California today

oagboghi2

Don't Uber and Lyft lose money every year? How is the business model fine?
No, they re-invest their excess revenue straight into the company. Uber could become profitable any day they want, just like Amazon could choose to become much more profitable than they are. It's a buisness tactic.

Uber purposely under charges riders to entice them. Raising the price of a ride to a fair market value would boost their revenue. Cutting their r&d research would bring in massive revenue, or coming out with a successful autonomous self-driving vehicle would bring in billions and skyrocket the stock.

These aren't companies struggling on the vine.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
No, they re-invest their excess revenue straight into the company. Uber could become profitable any day they want, just like Amazon could choose to become much more profitable than they are. It's a buisness tactic.

Uber purposely under charges riders to entice them. Raising the price of a ride to a fair market value would boost their revenue. Cutting their r&d research would bring in massive revenue, or coming out with a successful autonomous self-driving vehicle would bring in billions and skyrocket the stock.

These aren't companies struggling on the vine.

I don’t agree with this assessment. I haven’t looked in a year or so, but last I checked Uber had negative cost of revenue, meaning that what they pay drivers + incremental operational expense is costing them more then it’s making them. This means cutting sales & r&d wont save them.

Now it’s true they could raise their prices and keep a higher margin of that for themselves, but there’s no proof that at higher costs people will continue to use their service rather then a bus, a train or a competing company. So if revenue craters they’ll die.

In short they aren’t “investing excess revenue” because there is none. They’re being propped up by constantly diluting existing shareholders. But eventually, if they don’t find a way to make money, there won’t be a greater fool to sell to and they will crash and burn.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't take taxis expcet on business and I've never taken an Uber or Lyft on my own. Don't have the app downloaded or anything. I prefer driving my own ass to places. Not that I've ever taken an Uber with friends and we all jump in. Seems fine. Never had an issue.

But the whole taxi/uber thing seems like such a clusterfuck industry.

You got greedy monopolistic taxis with insane prices (a taxi ride from the airport to my home cost $42 for maybe a 15 km ride). Then you got taxis which require permits vs. Uber/Lyft which are average day drivers with some reason no permits needed, and you can see why taxi guys are pissed.

It's like the government has no idea how to handle transportation.

Top Bottom