• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac or PC, help

David B

An Idiot
IDK which way to go. I've seriously gone between both on and off every single month this year. Buy a PC, buy a Mac. I've done it for 6 months. Please help me. I love Mac for iMovie. I guess I want windows for gaming but all of my steam games I already have on console. I primarilly need the PC for making videos. So I guess Mac. Help please.

I would never go back to Mac myself, since I hate paying ~2x more for the same specs on a Windows machine, but if your familiarity with and fondness for iMovie is the determining factor, go with a Mac.

You could always spend less on a Windows machine and end up learning another video editing program if you wanted to go that route.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I would never go back to Mac myself, since I hate paying ~2x more for the same specs on a Windows machine, but if your familiarity with and fondness for iMovie is the determining factor, go with a Mac.

You could always spend less on a Windows machine and end up learning another video editing program if you wanted to go that route.
this,

also for older games I think the new mac M1 chips are meant to be good at running things, it depends what you want the PC for, I guess

you pays your money you takes your choice

Little Mac

If you already have a console, grab a mac. I got one of those m1 MacBook airs a few years back and it’s been great. The prices for macs are generally high but the resale value are high too. I’ve never had a problem finding a buyer for my old apple hardware and trading up to newer models. I went to school and was taught on macs so I prefer the OS and workflow. I used to build pcs strictly for gaming but transitioned back to consoles for simplicity and gaming with my friends. My two cents atleast.

YCoCg

Depends where you live, if you're in the US, then a Mac, if anywhere else, see what's the best hardware you can get for the price.

Mihos

Gold Member
I have some macs for software development, but never use them for anything else. I hate how limited the options are for both supported hardware and software

The Fartist

Gold Member
tvFxujd.gif

But seriously, if you're comfortable with Mac OS and FCP, or in your case iMovie (don't know why you're using iMovie) stick with a Mac, the new Air is more than enough to edit on iMovie.

David B

An Idiot
Thanks guys. All of my steam games I already own on consoles, so that deletes the purpose of the PC for gaming altogether. Sure I get better graphics with the RX 6800 XT 16GB GDDR6 GPU, but I really don't see a major difference at all. On Mac I use a lot of the built in things, I'm not a command + this and that button person, but I know how to use Mac as I've used them since 2006. I really don't need a PC, but both do basic things of course like the internet. I guess I just want iMovie that bad. I've used the photo thing on windows 11 and it's easy to use but not that great, also the new clipchamp video editor that microsoft pushed out, it's rather extremely hard for me to use, I don't know developer stuff like that at all or whatever it is. iMovie overall is just way easier to edit and use transfers and text put in.

I never heard of anyone seriously using iMovie when Final Cut Pro is available on Macs. If you are willing to learn DaVinci Resolve, that's available on both Mac and PC though. In terms of video editing, most people only use Mac if they really need Final Cut Pro otherwise it doesn't matter.

But if you've only ever used Macs, just keep using what you have. I have a MacBook Pro, an iPad, several Windows PC's and Windows laptops. Honestly there isn't much different between Windows and Mac OS these days for most usages.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I never heard of anyone seriously using iMovie when Final Cut Pro is available on Macs. If you are willing to learn DaVinci Resolve, that's available on both Mac and PC though. In terms of video editing, most people only use Mac if they really need Final Cut Pro otherwise it doesn't matter.

But if you've only ever used Macs, just keep using what you have. I have a MacBook Pro, an iPad, several Windows PC's and Windows laptops. Honestly there isn't much different between Windows and Mac OS these days for most usages.
iMovie is for casual video editing basic videos you shoot on your iPhone/iPad. If you're half serious about video editing then Final Cut is what you should be using or indeed something like DaVinci Resolve.

If i'm on my iPad and want to make a cute video of clips of my cats then I'll use iMovie. If i was doing anything work related then iMovie isn't good enough.

David B

An Idiot
iMovie is for casual video editing basic videos you shoot on your iPhone/iPad. If you're half serious about video editing then Final Cut is what you should be using or indeed something like DaVinci Resolve.

If i'm on my iPad and want to make a cute video of clips of my cats then I'll use iMovie. If i was doing anything work related then iMovie isn't good enough.
Imovie is easier to use. Final cut pro is like 300 or 600 bucks, stupid. In iMovie you can add text, intros, transitions between pictures and videos, as well as add what you want like transitions as well as arcade look, pixel look, or grey look, or anything. I just hate everything else, it's painfully hard as hell to use anything else.

Top Bottom