• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse artwork. Plus how to make your own Kirby!

AdanVC

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is coming this thursday in Japan and Nintendo released a mini-website of how the boxart and all the artwork of the game was made! All hand-made wich is awesome!

Looks like they had so much fun working on it!
section01_making01_01.png

Cookie Kirbe'
section01_making01_03.png

section02_making02_01.png

section03_making03.png

section04_making04_03.png

section04_making04_01.png

There's also a video-tutorial there on how to make your own Kirby with clay! Don't know about you guys but I'm gonna make it one of this days, looks fun as hell.

I uploaded the video to YouTube as well if you find it easier to see there.

More making-of pics of this game (and source)right here

Lock if oldie.

wanders

Ill admit that I thought the clay was digitally created then turned into an image to be used as an asset ala Donkey Kong

Very cool that they are using real clay

Corgi

Banned
know the game is gonna be great, shame you will pretty much be playing it on the shitty gamepad screen 100% of the time :(

javadoze

This is amazing. Reminds me when the people at Good-Feel talked about doing the same for Kirby's Epic Yarn in an Iwata Asks interview.

Iwata Asks needs to come back for this.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
know the game is gonna be great, shame you will pretty much be playing it on the shitty gamepad screen 100% of the time :(
It's 100% better than the DS screen, which was already more than enough to enjoy Canvas Curse.

sn00zer

Reminds me of the papercraft Media Molecule used to make Tearaway.

Im a bit confused though, did they only use the clay for promotional art or did they scan the models for ingame?

jariw

Personally, I'm going to practice so I get the stylus coordination right, while looking on the TV. It's no problem in Wonderful 101 or Art Academy.

Roo

Could be wrong but weren't the Pikmin from the first two games made with clay too?

This is awesome btw. I love clay!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Sprites work fine on a low resolution screen. Not hd things. Even if it's artsy.

If only I could use my iPad somehow lol.
Donkey Kong looks quite tasty on the GamePad, it will be the same. Sure it would look more vibrant on an iPad, but you couldn't play Kirby as precisely on it. No "shitty" experience anyway, that was my point.

WHAT!?

Holy crap! I was planning on skipping this because I didn't like Canvas Curse but considering how much work was put into the design I want to get it just to appreciate the visuals.

gerg

Reminds me of the papercraft Media Molecule used to make Tearaway.

Im a bit confused though, did they only use the clay for promotional art or did they scan the models for ingame?

I got the impression real clay was only used for promotional art (and developmental research).

Goodness! They're putting a lot of care, love, and effort into the art design!
Those clay models look fantastic; I can't wait to get my hands on this game!

Working at Nintendo looks so fun. ;_;

They need to open up an EAD California already so I kind apply as an artist/animator/character designer or somethin'
:p

Edit:
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3333333

This is why I miss Iwata Asks; I'd love to hear the development process behind this.

Yep...
:<

Armigr

So wait, this game was made using actual clay? I thought the people at HAL developed some cool shader engine that made all their 3D rendered stuff look like it was made out of clay!

Cool to see they really went the whole nine yards with the clay thing.

maxcriden

From what I've read of hands-on impressions, that may not be the case as you may be able to get used to looking at the TV to play pretty quickly.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
From what I've read of hands-on impressions, that may not be the case as you may be able to get used to looking at the TV to play pretty quickly.

It must also be said that it has a multiplayer mode that of course will allow players 2, 3 and 4 to look directly and only at the screen.
Honestly, for the single player mode I'd be more happy with an approach similar to the one seen in Nintendoland's Baloon fight minigame: on the TV screen they showed a larger portion of the world in order to help you in understanding better and better setting the trajectories of your avatar.

Top Bottom