• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Sells Device That Blocks FOX NEWS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002220590_foxblocker26.html?syndication=rss

Device lets you out-Fox your TV
By Emily Fredrix
The Associated Press

It's not that Sam Kimery objects to the views expressed on Fox News Channel. The creator of the "Fox Blocker" contends the network is not news at all.

Kimery says he has sold about 100 of the little silver bits of metal that screw into the back of most televisions, allowing people to filter Fox News from their sets. The Tulsa, Okla., resident also has received thousands of e-mails, both angry and complimentary, as well as a few death threats since the device debuted in August.

"Apparently the making of terroristic threats against those who don't share your views is a high art form among a certain core audience," said Kimery, 45.

Formerly a registered Republican, even a precinct captain, Kimery became an independent in the 1990s when he said the state party stopped taking input from everyday members.

Kimery now contends Fox News' top-level management dictates a conservative journalistic bias, that inaccuracies never are retracted, and what airs is more opinion than news.

"I might as well be reading tabloids out of the grocery store," he said. "Anything to get a rise out of the viewer and to reinforce certain retrograde notions."

A Fox spokeswoman at the station's New York headquarters said the channel's ratings speak for themselves. For the first three months of this year, Fox has averaged 1.62 million viewers in prime-time, compared with CNN's 805,000, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Kimery's motives go deeper than preventing people from watching the channel, which he acknowledges can be done without the Blocker. But he likens his device to burning a draft card, a tangible example of disagreement.

And he's taking this message to the network's advertisers. After buying the $8.95 device online, would-be blockers are shown a letter that they can send to advertisers via the Fox Blocker site.

"The point is not to block the channel or block free speech but to raise awareness," said Kimery, who works in the high-tech industry.

Kimery doesn't use the device; he occasionally feels the need to tune into Fox News for something "especially heinous."

Business could pick up since the blocker was alluded to in a recent episode of the ABC drama "Boston Legal." The show's original script mentioned Fox News, but ABC removed the references.

The boisterous conversations on Fox News may be why the station is so popular, said Matthew Felling, media director for the Center for Media and Public Affairs, a nonprofit, nonpartisan media watchdog group. And despite a perception that Fox leans to the right, Felling said, that doesn't mean people who lean left should tune out.

"It's tough to engage in an argument when you're not participating in it," Felling said. "It's just one more layer in the wall that the right and the left are building in between each other."

:lol

Macam

Banned
To address the last statement or two of that article, it's not a wall between the right and left, but a wall between the far right and the left. Honestyl, if you watched Fox News, you would think we were at war with Canada.

Nikashi

Banned
retardboy said:
Liberals must be really stupid. Just freaken delete the channel from your TV so that it just skips over it.

"Kimery's motives go deeper than preventing people from watching the channel, which he acknowledges can be done without the Blocker. But he likens his device to burning a draft card, a tangible example of disagreement."

Try reading sometime.

Socreges

Banned
A Fox spokeswoman at the station's New York headquarters said the channel's ratings speak for themselves.
Yes. And they say: "We stroke nationalism and do sensantionalistic entertainment best."

retardboy said:
Liberals must be really stupid. Just freaken delete the channel from your TV so that it just skips over it.
Did you even read the article? It isn't very long.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Hamfam said:
I watch FoxNews constantly, and I can't stand it. I don't understand the hypnotism to it.

At first I watched CNN bar-none. But as I began to form opinions of my own they often clashed with CNN's so I moved on to Fox News. All was good again for awhile but more and more I'd notice Fox pretty much becoming CNN (O'Reilly needs an ass-kicking). So for months now I haven't watched any news at all.

Tonight I was incredibly bored by the Weather Channel so I flicked Fox on and it stayed on for only a few seconds before I went back to the Weather Channel. Why? They were covering that recent school shooting. The reporter was like "...the grandfather and his partner....." PARTNER? What PC crap is that?! WIFE. WIFE PEOPLE. Man marries girl and girl becomes WIFE not husband and PARTNER.

Whenever I get around to becoming a bride I sure as heck don't wanna be called a partner. So off the news stays when I'm around a tv.

hXc_thugg

Lindsay said:
Tonight I was incredibly bored by the Weather Channel so I flicked Fox on and it stayed on for only a few seconds before I went back to the Weather Channel. Why? They were covering that recent school shooting. The reporter was like "...the grandfather and his partner....." PARTNER? What PC crap is that?! WIFE. WIFE PEOPLE. Man marries girl and girl becomes WIFE not husband and PARTNER.

What the fuck? There's things to watch on the Weather Channel?

theo

Contest Winner
retardboy said:

you live up to your name with flying colors. well done sir!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
hXc_thugg said:
What the fuck? There's things to watch on the Weather Channel?

It's more like background noise/music for me. There's also the added benefit of looking over now and then to see the temperature and why I'm freezing to death x_X!

Weather Channel > Idiots who speak as if SUVs are living breathing beasts out for blood.

Zaptruder

Banned
Nikashi said:
"Kimery's motives go deeper than preventing people from watching the channel, which he acknowledges can be done without the Blocker. But he likens his device to burning a draft card, a tangible example of disagreement."

Try reading sometime.

To be fair, his name is retardboy.

Nikashi

Banned
Yeah, well my name is Nikashi, and do you hear me singing?

(Yeah, it helps to see the Kanji, but you japanophiles will figure it out)

Drozmight

2002220240.jpg

"You like that O'Rielly? ... Well do ya, punk?"

Lindsay said:

Whenever I get around to becoming a bride I sure as heck don't wanna be called a partner. So off the news stays when I'm around a tv.

They weren't married. Fox News probably felt it would be akward to refer to a senior ctizen as his "girlfriend", rightly so.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Nikashi said:

Try reading sometime.

The analogy's a tad flawed. Burning a draft card is free. This is giving a guy $9 for something you can very well do on your own.

Dilbert

Cyan said:
:lol Wait... Fox News was too liberal for you? :lol
I wasn't sure if I'd read that correctly either. Even worse, he/she/it wants to not watch news at ALL since it doesn't sound like the rest of the noise in the echo chamber.

It's not funny -- it's fucking scary.

Hamfam said:
I watch FoxNews constantly, and I can't stand it. I don't understand the hypnotism to it.

Same here. Really the only cable news network I watch. I really cringe when I watch Hannity, though.

The Experiment said:
I like Fox News. Especially O'Reilly, that is seriously my favorite TV show.

Feel free to flame now.

I like it to.

It's kindof entertaining in the same way as a greusome car crash that you happen to drive by any given day..

I kindof always assumed it was intentional. Hmph.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The Faceless Master said:
why do people keep talking about fox news as if it were a news broadcast station?

it's very obviously comedy.. way better than comedy central too...

That is true. The funniest thing I have seen on TV in months was an interview about Terry Schiavo from Fox News. The interview subject? John Edward. As in "Crossing over with John Edward".

Granted, I saw it on Comedy Central(Daily Show), but they stole it directly from the endless comedy vaults of Fox News.

Socreges

Banned
Archaix said:
That is true. The funniest thing I have seen on TV in months was an interview about Terry Schiavo from Fox News. The interview subject? John Edward. As in "Crossing over with John Edward".
What's more, they were treating him like a genuine, credible source. It was patently ridiculous.

I like how TDS handled it. "I couldn't predict that my show was going to get cancelled, but this I know!" :lol

Iceman

Wow. What a surprise. Liberal/canadian GAFfers taking an opportunity to take potshots at the right under the thinly veiled guise of "just" bashing FOX News.

What a shocker.

The over-reaction to retardboy's original post only serves as an example.

He opened himself up by calling a group of people stupid when he clearly didn't read (or understand) the article. He was fair game after that.

Porridge

Iceman said:
Wow. What a surprise. Liberal/canadian GAFfers taking an opportunity to take potshots at the right under the thinly veiled guise of "just" bashing FOX News.

What a shocker.

The over-reaction to retardboy's original post only serves as an example.

How can it be that the Right is always wrong?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
cubicle47b said:
He opened himself up by calling a group of people stupid when he clearly didn't read (or understand) the article. He was fair game after that.

Typical liberal elitist discrimination against stupid people. You sicken me.

Socreges

Banned
Iceman said:

What a shocker.
What are you talking about? Such as?

iapetus said:
Typical liberal elitist discrimination against stupid people. You sicken me.
:lol

NLB2

Banned
tedtropy said:
The analogy's a tad flawed. Burning a draft card is free. This is giving a guy $9 for something you can very well do on your own.
The oppurtunity cost of burning your draft card > 9 bucks,

I like it to.

O'Reilly is pretty much the only thing I watch though. Hannity and Colmes is always good for a laugh. You can pretty much predict what Hannity would say. He's a broken record. Geraldo is good for a laugh because he sounds so effeminate. His interview with Michael Jackson was hilarious.

What also annoys me about Fox News is their overuse of analysts like Gingrich, Zell Miller, and that Judge. One time I left it on all day to listen to some noise while studying and I must have seen that Judge (Napolitano I think is his name) at least a half dozen times.

John Gibson sucks. I hate him. Greta is pointless too. This is the time where I pop in an Aqua Teen DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom