• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Gurman: Apple MR headset won't need an Iphone to set-up. Won't have remotes(controllers), will operate with users hands and eyes.

https://appleworld.today/archives/105437
In the latest edition of his “Power On” newsletter, Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman says Apple’s upcoming AR/VR headset, the rumored “RealityPro,” probably won’t require an iPhone.

From the report: I’m told that the latest test versions of the device and its onboard xrOS operating system can be set up without an iPhone and can download a user’s content and iCloud data directly from the cloud.

You will, however, be able to transfer your data from an iPhone or iPad, just as you can today when setting up a new device. As
I’ve written previously, the headset doesn’t have a remote control but instead is operated by a user’s eyes and hands.

A key feature for text input — in-air typing — is available on the latest internal prototypes, I’m told. But it’s been finicky in testing. So if you get the first headset, you still may want to pair an iPhone to use its touch-screen keyboard. The hope within Apple is to make rapid improvements after the device is released.

Gurman says Apple will likely unveil the RealityPro at this summer’s Worldwide Developer Conference. He adds that it will then ship toward the end of the year “at the earliest.”

This info from Gurman is from the free edition of “Power On”. If you like it, consider subscribing to Bloomberg.com—you’ll receive the newsletter earlier and get exclusive access to a Q&A section.

While not surprising, it's a good thing that you won't need an Iphone to use Apples' upcoming VR headset, or to set it up. Apple will need to sell the headset as an independent product especially considering where the VR market is right now, if it wants to have a chance. Being able to not require an Iphone or any other hurdles will make it easier for people to jump onboard.

Gurman also mentions, and reconfirms that Apple is aiming for a Kinect-like experience where you don't have "remote controls" but use eyes and hands for controls. This is inline with the previous report and thread on this issue. As was revealed by the morning consult data many people whoa re interested, or would become interested in VR, would only do so if the controllers were put aside, the 6th biggest item on the list with 54%,

interest-in-vr-conditions-230208-1.png

Facebook has recently been pushing for more hands-free interaction with their recent updates as well. Time will tell is the answer for VR is controller free or not.

Finally, the in-air tying reported on previously. It seems that Apple was/is having some issues getting it to work properly and consistently. Of course we don't know how far along they are so by June when they show the headset it may be in a better position, but In-air typing always seemed like something that would have to be done a very specific way to work well imo.

Gurman says you will be able to transfer data from your iphone if you are an iphone users, to the headset, so there is definitely a shared ecosystem in some way going on here, despite xrOS being different from IOS.

I'm curious if Apple will implement a way to transfer data from an Android phone to some extent, to the headset as well.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Gaming VR needs controllers for most games. For media and productivity stuff hand inputs will likely be at least usable but will struggle with a natural binary input that you get with buttons.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
No controllers would be lame. I know they were talking about trackable props, but having precision tracking with analogs for movement, buttons, and force feedback is essential for most games.

LordOfChaos

Curious if they'll allow PC passthrough, particularly as the Mac does support VR. If in a few years you want to use your M6 Max mac for VR instead of the M2 built into this for example.

Not super keen on having multiple different headsets locked into different platforms, if it allowed passthrough like Meta does that would be nice

Buggy Loop

Curious if they'll allow PC passthrough, particularly as the Mac does support VR. If in a few years you want to use your M6 Max mac for VR instead of the M2 built into this for example.

Not super keen on having multiple different headsets locked into different platforms, if it allowed passthrough like Meta does that would be nice

Rumours are that it’s VR/AR, so it would need pass through. Edit, I misread, PC pass through?

Anyway, it’s raining Apple VR news lately. So much either leaks or speculations and we don’t even have the announcement.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Apple Watch doesn't t require an IPhone to run, but you can't pair it with an Android phone to have full access to its features, so you need an IPhone anyway.

Rockondevil

Apple Watch doesn't t require an IPhone to run, but you can't pair it with an Android phone to have full access to its features, so you need an IPhone anyway.
Almost certain you need an iPhone to set it up. At least I’ve needed to for both of mine.

Obviously once set up it’s its own device that’s amplified with the phone.

This will flop. Then people will use this flop as a reason why a different device is doomed to fail.

Someone take op's thread posting privileges away.

Trilobit

This is one product I would have loved to have seen showcased by Steve Jobs. He had such a flair for showing off the products. I really hope Apple has something revolutionary going on, that hopefully leads to full field of view and stylish glasses.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No controller. Okay. It’s not a gaming headset.

Buggy Loop

As in you can connect a mac and use that as the power behind the VR as I described. Meta allows you to use a PC for example even though it's an all in one.

Oh I see

I hope they will

But I have serious doubts. Apple letting the PC cancer enter their perfect virgin ecosystem and contaminate their users' pure eyes? I don't think it will happen.

Minsc

Gold Member
So you constantly need to keep your hands up? Sounds crappy
Maybe it has X-Ray vision or IR with cameras on every edge of the set so even if you stick your hands under your ass you can still make motions and control the game/app.

Robb

Gold Member
This just reaffirms that this headset definitely isn’t made for gaming.

I’m never buying it either way, but it’ll be interesting to see their solutions.

Last edited:
So you constantly need to keep your hands up? Sounds crappy

No, there's hand and finger tracking, and Apple is even going to have a ring you can wear for precision.

Whether all that's going to make hands-only VR work is unknown, I personally have doubts but then again the headset might be a hit before people realize that. I mean in-air typing is a major feature for it and that already raises questions, but people may still jump on board initially for the brand logo and the novelty even if it doesn't work very well.

I'm sure Apple will have third-parties provide controllers still.

My question is, what will Samsung do?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Would be amusing if Apple paid Valve a fuck ton of money to make Alyx an exclusive or timed exclusive to their new MR system albeit a cut down version, has to be a reason Sony have said fuck all about it

Would be amusing if Apple paid Valve a fuck ton of money to make Alyx an exclusive or timed exclusive to their new MR system albeit a cut down version, has to be a reason Sony have said fuck all about it

Either that or they(along with help fund) get Alyx two exclusive. However this depends n if Valve wants to be competitive with their next headset or not. If they do don't expect Alyx anywhere else.

I'm sure Apple has already talked with numerous developers, and built their own software. they went on a buying spree just like Facebook, even got two VR gaming companies including one that did amusement experiences.

I'm sure Samsung and the other have as well. With all the headsets coming out this year you can't just sell on having a headset alone, you have to have a reason for people to pick yours over the others. I suspect we are going to see much software.

Top Bottom