• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 the greatest action RPG of all time? (minor spoilers)

Agree?

• Yes

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 56 36.4%
  • Top 5!

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Not a fan

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters

Cyberpunkd

My favorite trilogy and RPG series.
bathing hot tub GIF

Laptop1991

If its in the same category as TES, Fallout and The Witcher 3, then the answer is no, its not what i think of when RPG is listed. Not saying its a bad game tho.

WoJ

I have mixed feelings on ME2. It'd my least favorite game in the trilogy. I've played ME1 probably 15 times and I can still go back to it. I'm super anal about ME1 to the point where I hate spending skill points on Charm/Intimidate so will play through 3 times with a character to max out both without spending any skill points when I do a trilogy run.

ME2 though doesn't hold up like that for me. I enjoy it and it's a ton of fun. The first time I played it I was sucked in like no other. I remember I had planned to play a couple missions on a Saturday just to start my playthrough and probably played through 3 or 4 recruitment missions before stopping for the day. I was blown away.

But in the context of the trilogy it feels like story-wise more could have been done to tie the overarching ME2 narrative to the plot. In my opinion ME2 should have taken the "team building" aspect and focused more on how building that team tied directly to prepping or stopping the Reapers instead of focusing on the Collector threat exclusively.

Some of the stuff in ME3 could have been in ME2 (genophage and geth/quaraian stuff) and 3 could have focused more on directly stopping the Reapers and tying up loose ends. And perhaps maybe even having missions in ME2 that built off the major decisions of ME1...for example, perhaps ME2 could have had a couple missions only available if you saved the Rachni queen in 1 and a couple that are only available if you killed her. Then in 3 depending how those played out different missions were available. I don't know. Just spit balling here.

Anyways,ME2 is great as a standalone game and building off of what ME1 started but it feels weaker over time to me compared to ME1 and ME3 both in the trilogy and as an RPG. For all the shit 3 gets I think it's gameplay and how it uses rpg systems is pretty solid overall.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Action RPGs for me are games like Diablo, Grim Dawn; Warhammer Inquisitor, Path of Exile, etc.. so no.

Still a great game though.

zcaa0g

Banned
My personal experience with the ME trilogy:

ME1: Best story.
ME2: Best missions.
ME3: Best action.

ME2: Best all around.

Top Bottom