• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merry Smissmas, NeoGAF ! [A TF2/Valve Rant]

Helios

It's that time of the year ! The time for rants and disappointment.
For those that don't already know (which is surprising, because I like to shove TF2 into everything) ,I love TF2. It's one of my favorite games, a game that I dedicated ~2000 hours into . I love everything from the artstyle, maps, humor to the character design. Which is why the fact that it's so neglected upsets me even more.
TF2 is currently in the longest period of time between major updates. Unless you count this year's Scream Fortress X (which was a sizable update, but nothing original from Valve was added ) the last major update was October 20 2017, The Jungle Inferno (Pyro update). A great update, part of the Meet Your Match event which was supposed to bring two patches with reworks: one for Pyro and one for Heavy. So where is the Heavy update? Nowhere to be seen. Not even a word has been spoken about it.
Today, we got the anual Smissmas update, one of the weakest updates I've seen
WL4cHZm.png
A cosmetic case and a few medals. Bear in mind that every cosmetic added is made by the community, Valve had no hand in making them. Just like Scream Fortress X which had maps made by the community. Smissmas always had at least a few festivizer added alongside cosmetic crates. CS:GO and DOTA got Christmas updates bigger than TF2 and they both also got a big update last month.
TF2's been running on "passive income" for more than a year and the rate of the updates have slowed dramatically over the past few years. Are there still developers working on this game? No idea, the only hint we have is from the people that visited Valve HQ. A lot people are speculative that there are only 4-7 developers working on this game.
I don't even blame the developers, I've seen from the updates that they're extremely passionate about TF2. I blame whoever's managing Valve. The fact that they don't want hire developers for a game that's making them a lot of money passively is awful. They should be thankful for the community they have. Any other developer and the community would've ditched them a long time ago.
I know what you might be thinking "TF2 is dead, nobody's playing that game. Why should they invest in a game with no players".
heC8ewD.png

Today, the day that this game received one of the worst Christmas updates, the game almost peaked to launch numbers (and will probably surpass it later tonight). The only recent big drop in players that you see is when they purged bots earlier this year.
Maybe the long awaited Heavy update will come after New Year and I've been rambling here for no reason. But the community has been pretty upset by this update and Valve's lack of interest. I don't even know if there is anyone interested in TF2 on Neogaf, I just wanted to vent my frustration at Valve's inability to communicate and TF2s declining rate of updates.

I'm honestly surprised that after more than a decade the game is still receiving updates at all. Very few games see that kind of support and the ones that do are usually MMO's.

Helios

I just started playing a month or so ago. Really not updating it that much any more?
The Halloween update was really cool and there's probably going to be a major update early next year. At least I hope. Valve isn't giving us any hints.

J-Roderton

The Halloween update was really cool and there's probably going to be a major update early next year. At least I hope. Valve isn't giving us any hints.

I hope to have some sort of a grasp on the basics of how to play classes properly by then. Game is fun as hell, though. I'm just a little lttp.

LordRaptor

I'm honestly surprised that after more than a decade the game is still receiving updates at all. Very few games see that kind of support and the ones that do are usually MMO's.

Pretty much this. Its basically an unprecedented level of support, it seems a bit off to throw criticism for not doing more than 10+ years of completely free updates

edit:
for perspective:
CQq0z9l.jpg

none of that was idling time either, thats just gameplay stats

Last edited:
Top Bottom