• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miley Cyrus taps Elton John, Chad Smith, and more for her Metallica covers album

That "Nothing Else Matters" cover is terrible. I'll listen to the album eventually because Metallica slaps but I'm guessing the covers will be mostly trash.

HotPocket69

Banned
Just going to leave this here.

Miley slaying Say Hello 2 Heaven (temple of the dog/Chris cornel). This is a song so hard to sing that Chris couldn't even hope to achieve it even a few years after he wrote it. I am not a big Cyrus fan because I don't like pop. But if Miley does rock I can be a big fan of her. She has a rock voice.

That said I wouldn't choose for her to sing Metallica. Grunge is more fitting for her. She sounds a bit like Stevie Nix.

The original song is fucking legendary by the way. Miley did a good job but Chris was otherworldly on this track.

Now this is fucking good. Holy shit she nailed it.

kretos

Banned

tenor.gif

i'd rather listen to Fred Durst covers instead of this

TheMan

yeah it's alright. Having listened to the black album approximately 1 billion times growing up, I don't think I'll ever appreciate a cover more than the original though. I have to say it sounds bad to me when Miley uses a low register

Droxcy

I'd remove her vocals and add jame's back in and the instrumental track would fit so well. Chad & Andrew Watt have been on a killer creative spree with the stuff they did on Ozzy's album. Watt has gotten Chad into the pop world and good for him some extra cash and fun on top of the Chili Peppers. Can't wait to see them next year with John again!

Ironbunny

She sounds great when she is really revving it out loud but at the times when she lovering the volume to talking stage it kinda falls flat.

I do like her version of Happy Xmas.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

to be controversial and get people talking about it and make a bunch of money. itll probably be decent enough (especially with actual good musicians behind her) that people will be like "oh eah see she really is good and she really dOES like metallica" lol

if its good who cares. my only issues with it is if she makes this all about herself rather than paying tribute to a legendary metal band who revolutionized metal, rock and has arguably one of the biggest influences in music in the entirety of the 20to century...

not that she hasnt already made it all about herself with the inception of this project and bringing in big names like elton john, but hey thats the music business for you. its a business and they are all going to make a bunch of money off of it i imagine. or at the very least wind up a lot of attention for themselves so they can use that to start pumping their next big project.

as a lifelong and musician myself, there needs to be a level of respect for metallica seeded in with this album, and a respect for the art of music, and i dont think we are going to get that. we are going to get miley cyrus being miley cyrus and oh yeah metallica songs

i hope im wrong, it coudl be really interesting and i wont hate on it until i listen to it bc thats only fair 🤷‍♂️

edit: just listened to nothing else matter and it was ok but im sorry miley you dont now what its like to be a nerd or a reject so it doesnt have the same impact. just feels comical with her singing those lyrics. like, you were born with a golden spoon in your ass lol, dont tell me "and i know" bc you dont.

good sounding track but the heart isnt there bc it cant be, she has zero connection with the lyrics or listener and shes obviously doing this to pump her own brand, which is so far removed from the meaning of the song.

Miley is my new rock goddess. If you don't get it, that's on you.
^this right here. this is the whole point. people are going to get all mad and about comments like these and comment back and all the while its making her more and more famous. thats great business:pie_moneyface::goog_money_face:💰🤑

but its not great music and its not great art. that much deserves to be recognized

Last edited:

Pol Pot

Banned
to be controversial and get people talking about it and make a bunch of money. itll probably be decent enough (especially with actual good musicians behind her) that people will be like "oh eah see she really is good and she really dOES like metallica" lol

if its good who cares. my only issues with it is if she makes this all about herself rather than paying tribute to a legendary metal band who revolutionized metal, rock and has arguably one of the biggest influences in music in the entirety of the 20to century...

not that she hasnt already made it all about herself with the inception of this project and bringing in big names like elton john, but hey thats the music business for you. its a business and they are all going to make a bunch of money off of it i imagine. or at the very least wind up a lot of attention for themselves so they can use that to start pumping their next big project.

as a lifelong and musician myself, there needs to be a level of respect for metallica seeded in with this album, and a respect for the art of music, and i dont think we are going to get that. we are going to get miley cyrus being miley cyrus and oh yeah metallica songs

i hope im wrong, it coudl be really interesting and i wont hate on it until i listen to it bc thats only fair 🤷‍♂️

edit: just listened to nothing else matter and it was ok but im sorry miley you dont now what its like to be a nerd or a reject so it doesnt have the same impact. just feels comical with her singing those lyrics. like, you were born with a golden spoon in your ass lol, dont tell me "and i know" bc you dont.

good sounding track but the heart isnt there bc it cant be, she has zero connection with the lyrics or listener and shes obviously doing this to pump her own brand, which is so far removed from the meaning of the song.

^this right here. this is the whole point. people are going to get all mad and about comments like these and comment back and all the while its making her more and more famous. thats great business:pie_moneyface::goog_money_face:💰🤑

but its not great music and its not great art. that much deserves to be recognized
Art is highly subjective.
The black album was the beginning of the end for Metallica.
Miley fucking rocks.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I was ready with a sky is falling post, but she doesn't sound that bad. Besides someone posted a Limp Bizkit cover so she can only, at the very worst, be the second worst person to cover a Metallica song.

teezzy

Banned
It's pretty good.

It sounds like she's been deep throating cigars.

Miley sobered up. I think her drug use affected her voice somewhat. Sounds awesome to me, tons of character.

She talked about it on Joe Rogan months ago. It was what drove me to do a deep dive on her. She seems like a real one.

So glad she didnt turn out like Lohan, etc

Last edited:

Mato

She going to spend the rest of her career trying to prove that she's not a Disney sweetheart, isn't she?

Top Bottom