• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennial vs Gen Z Gaming

Are you me ? LoL i can relate to this so much. Our generation grew up discovering games by browsing the big boxes at the local store. Then you brought home the CD, installed it and that was it. There was no internet connection needed, no updates, patches, hotfixes. You paid once then you played till the CD wore away.

I couldn't fathom spending money inside a game back then, i can barely fathom it now.
And you didn't have money, you were a kid. You played those games over and over again, lmao.
Also, official demos on PS Magazine. That's how i discovered RPGs with Legend of Dragoon.

The bad part about this? A game released with a bug would stay like that forever, lmao.

Alebrije

As a generation X gamer, can tell a Millenial or Z would become crazy playing Ninja Gaiden on Nes... Was an era where Pause or Auto Save did not exist, You died few meters after complete a level, repeat all of it. RPGs did not gave You a clue , exploration by your own was the rule not map showing points of interest like these days, pretty sure most of todays players Will left Phantasy Star 2 just a few hours after playing it because won't have a clue where to go.

So now games are easier, portable and young players just want GAAS Because they are quik to play , give rewards faster and do not need a Lot of money to get in (some are even "free")

Last edited:

Phase

I think it'll be interesting to see how preferences change when Gen Z starts aging. I'm millennial and when I was younger multiplayer was probably where I put the most hours into as well (Quake, Tribes, UT, CS, Halo, BF), even though I greatly enjoyed single player. Now that I'm older single player is where most of my hours go.

My guess is there will be a similar shift with Gen Z as they age.

Top Bottom