• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milly Alcock cast as Supergirl

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'll be that guy. "Alcock"

Beavis And Butthead Lol GIF by Paramount+

GymWolf

Despite looking weird in most her pictures (which I call the modern "I look I'll look") with the right make-up artist she will be fine
Mjo557Z.jpg
Wow, she always looked like a 40 years old teenager in the dragon serial for some reason but she is really cute.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah I was about to say lol even the skinniest Kryptonian could lift a semi truck on our planet. This ain’t a Wonder Woman situation. That said I’m sure they will make her do a training routine and get toned. Supergirl is known for her midriff <3
This is just a lazy excuse to not have the character feel EPIC. Superman has ALWAYS been a tank of a man. He is the ubermensch, epitome of physical perfection. Even if he has kryptonian strength from our sun, a flabby beer gut will make him look visibly weak and unconvincing on screen, plus it indicates the character is mentally undisciplined and unfocused, which is the opposite of the core of Superman. Kara carries over a lot of these traits, so even with super strength their training and preparation (remember, her purpose is(was) to protect Kal-El so she is a warrior at heart) will still develop their bodies. It's not like they are using telekinesis alone to move things, it's still muscle mass. So Supergirl, if she wants to look convincing on screen, needs an athletes body.

As cute as she is, Milly looks like this...
YsovB5c.jpg

and I don't think she is gonna be able to go to what (IMHO) Supergirl should look like, which, for me is at least this
6Lslctc.jpg

or at least some more mass like early Kaley Cuoco

btiqqvb.jpg

though I can always dream of a real bruiser Supergirl like this (very slightly NSFW due to kinda skimpy outfit)

ipvhIGV.jpg
that could put the hurt on all sorts of bad guys. I know that virtually no actresses train like this but still, a guy can dream :p

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I would've liked to see more Flash Supergirl

💯
After seeing her great performance, the snyder style one-piece suit, and brunette supergirl being a revelation, I definitely wanted to see more of her, or at least another brunette one (like melissa o'neil).

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I don't know much about Supegirl outside of the basic things but Woman of Tomorrow doesn't sound like a good movie subtitle.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
This is just a lazy excuse to not have the character feel EPIC. Superman has ALWAYS been a tank of a man. He is the ubermensch, epitome of physical perfection. Even if he has kryptonian strength from our sun, a flabby beer gut will make him look visibly weak and unconvincing on screen, plus it indicates the character is mentally undisciplined and unfocused, which is the opposite of the core of Superman. Kara carries over a lot of these traits, so even with super strength their training and preparation (remember, her purpose is(was) to protect Kal-El so she is a warrior at heart) will still develop their bodies. It's not like they are using telekinesis alone to move things, it's still muscle mass. So Supergirl, if she wants to look convincing on screen, needs an athletes body.

As cute as she is, Milly looks like this...
YsovB5c.jpg

and I don't think she is gonna be able to go to what (IMHO) Supergirl should look like, which, for me is at least this
6Lslctc.jpg

or at least some more mass like early Kaley Cuoco

btiqqvb.jpg

though I can always dream of a real bruiser Supergirl like this (very slightly NSFW due to kinda skimpy outfit)

ipvhIGV.jpg
that could put the hurt on all sorts of bad guys. I know that virtually no actresses train like this but still, a guy can dream :p

Mass can be accumulated. You think David Corenswet hasn't been lifting weights like crazy the last 8 months?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Mass can be accumulated. You think David Corenswet hasn't been lifting weights like crazy the last 8 months?
Sure, guys do it all the time. I want the women to start. It's isn't enough to be kale-shake and cocaine skinny, I want fitness.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I’m not sure most folks know how films are made (and Im not talkin about that poster who responded to me but I mean in general). Whenever I see “x character but in LIVE ACTION” videos its just who looks closest to the character at the time lol it doesn’t work that way. Hair, makeup, wardrobe, post-production effects, dialect training, physical training, dietary experts, all play into transforming how an actor looks for a big budget film. These are corporate endeavors costing ventures costing hundreds of millions of dollars…

mortal

Gold Member
I’m not sure most folks know how films are made (and Im not talkin about that poster who responded to me but I mean in general). Whenever I see “x character but in LIVE ACTION” videos its just who looks closest to the character at the time lol it doesn’t work that way. Hair, makeup, wardrobe, post-production effects, dialect training, physical training, dietary experts, all play into transforming how an actor looks for a big budget film. These are corporate endeavors costing ventures costing hundreds of millions of dollars…
lol you overlooked one of the major components for Hollywood actors getting jacked for physical roles. Being on gear.
Many of them usually take steroids or some sort of PED because of the time constraints between roles.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't know much about Supegirl outside of the basic things but Woman of Tomorrow doesn't sound like a good movie subtitle.

It's based on the series/graphic novel by Tom King... James Gunn had this to say:

A hearty public welcome to Ana Nogueira to the DC Studios family. Ana is an amazing writer whose screenplay adaptation of Woman of Tomorrow is above and beyond anything I hoped it would be. We’re excited to be moving forward on this unique take on Supergirl in this beautiful, star-spanning tale.

“Superman was sent to Earth, and, and he was raised by incredibly loving parents, whereas Kara was in Krypton, she was on a piece of Krypton that drifted away from the planet, and lived there for the first 14 years of her life among [a] horrible situation where she watched everybody around her die. So she's a much harsher and more f—ked up Supergirl than we've been used to this far.”

jIRi9eR.jpg
QIjHM06.jpg

DKehoe

It's basically True Grit in space. A bandit kills a young girl's father and steals his sword so the girl recruits Supergirl, who has gone to a system with a red sun so that she can spend her 21st birthday drinking, to track him across the galaxy and bring him to justice.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It's based on the series/graphic novel by Tom King... James Gunn had this to say:

jIRi9eR.jpg
QIjHM06.jpg

This could be dreadful if not done properly, woman of tomorrow is pretty light on supergirl stuff and there's barely any comedy in it; if they decide to "guardians" it up, it could be a disaster, if not at the very least much weaker than the source.
It's also pretty heavy on visual story telling, they need someone with strong visual direction to pull it off.

Doom85

This could be dreadful if not done properly, woman of tomorrow is pretty light on supergirl stuff and there's barely any comedy in it; if they decide to "guardians" it up, it could be a disaster, if not at the very least much weaker than the source.
It's also pretty heavy on visual story telling, they need someone with strong visual direction to pull it off.

The way James Gunn described the story in his DC Part 1 preview sounded generally pretty serious.

It seems pretty clear they don’t tend to have a universal tone for all the movies. Something like Booster Gold will be generally more light-hearted while Swamp Thing will be more serious, for example.

NahaNago

I can't say I'm a big fan of the choice. Facial-wise she gives off rock punk and should be giving everyone the middle finger.

Doom85

I was expecting someone to make that kind of response.

With that said I originally was going to comment on her body shape for the role but kept thinking isn't she suppose to be playing a teenager. Seemed weird after thinking about it trying to describe what teenage girl body type I wanted for supergirl.

It’s an adult actress though. Hollywood has been casting adults as “teens” for many decades now. Nothing weird about being attracted to the character as long as the actor is an adult.

Madflavor

I really feel like they should be pumping the brakes on all this shit, and just focus on making sure Superman Legacy is a good film and is profitable. Both the MCU and the DCEU suffered box office flops last year. Superhero Fatigue has officially set in, and it seem insane at this point to god ham with rebooting an entire universe.

NahaNago

I really feel like they should be pumping the brakes on all this shit, and just focus on making sure Superman Legacy is a good film and is profitable. Both the MCU and the DCEU suffered box office flops last year. Superhero Fatigue has officially set in, and it seem insane at this point to god ham with rebooting an entire universe.
Agreed. First make the best DC movie possible. They can have a roadmap but don't announce it until you are for sure Superman is a hit.

ManaByte

Matthew Vaughn is interested.

Doom85

The problem with that argument is that one of the main reasons people suspect the DC films of last year underperformed was due to them knowing the universe was about to end with no massive payoff thus they feel the films “didn’t matter” (personally, I didn’t care as long as an individual film is fun, but whatever). Marvel, to a lesser extent, faced this criticism as while the multiverse element is connected to Kang, only the films/shows actually featuring Kang feel like any kind of actual build-up which is a very small number of them plus taking way too long to have the new and old heroes across different series begin meeting up (all we’ve had since Phase Four started is Shang-Chi meeting Wong, and Ms. Marvel meeting Kate Bishop. I guess one could count Strange meeting Reed and Xavier, but the former and definitely the latter will be different actors when they properly join the MCU).

With James Gunn laying out some of Part 1 for the audience, it gives them assurance that there is something to be invested in. If the movies are well received, people will see them. Guardians 3 and Across the Spider-verse showed that last year. Hell, sometimes marketing can be a key factor. Thor 4 was fairly divisive, yet did really well at the box office in spite of that.

Plus, Gunn seems to be suggesting they’ll allow the movies to have very different tones based on the context of each story. While Marvel has gotten more experimental in this (Dr. Strange 2 being horror-themed at times, Black Panther 2 being mostly serious, WandaVision being…WandaVision), there is still a lot of overlap in tone for most of their movies. I think if anything Gunn and co. can look at what people generally liked and didn’t like from the MCU and DCEU and build from that. And the fact that a trusted name when it comes to superhero movies, James Gunn, is leading the charge of this new universe will definitely make people feel like this new universe is worth getting invested in.

Madflavor

The problem with that argument is that one of the main reasons people suspect the DC films of last year underperformed was due to them knowing the universe was about to end with no massive payoff thus they feel the films “didn’t matter” (personally, I didn’t care as long as an individual film is fun, but whatever). Marvel, to a lesser extent, faced this criticism as while the multiverse element is connected to Kang, only the films/shows actually featuring Kang feel like any kind of actual build-up which is a very small number of them plus taking way too long to have the new and old heroes across different series begin meeting up (all we’ve had since Phase Four started is Shang-Chi meeting Wong, and Ms. Marvel meeting Kate Bishop. I guess one could count Strange meeting Reed and Xavier, but the former and definitely the latter will be different actors when they properly join the MCU).

With James Gunn laying out some of Part 1 for the audience, it gives them assurance that there is something to be invested in. If the movies are well received, people will see them. Guardians 3 and Across the Spider-verse showed that last year. Hell, sometimes marketing can be a key factor. Thor 4 was fairly divisive, yet did really well at the box office in spite of that.

Plus, Gunn seems to be suggesting they’ll allow the movies to have very different tones based on the context of each story. While Marvel has gotten more experimental in this (Dr. Strange 2 being horror-themed at times, Black Panther 2 being mostly serious, WandaVision being…WandaVision), there is still a lot of overlap in tone for most of their movies. I think if anything Gunn and co. can look at what people generally liked and didn’t like from the MCU and DCEU and build from that. And the fact that a trusted name when it comes to superhero movies, James Gunn, is leading the charge of this new universe will definitely make people feel like this new universe is worth getting invested in.

Sure but why not just focus on making one really good movie to test the waters and see how it does? There's really no guarantee that Superman Legacy will do well financially, so I don't think it makes sense to be making all these other announcements and putting other things in motion at the same time. They're repeating the same mistakes they made after Man of Steel, trying to play catch up with the MCU, except this time around they're doing it at a time where Superhero Films are nowhere near the level of popularity they were once at. It seems a lot riskier to do this rather than putting 100% of your focus on one film, to make sure it's as good as possible.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Sure but why not just focus on making one really good movie to test the waters and see how it does? There's really no guarantee that Superman Legacy will do well financially, so I don't think it makes sense to be making all these other announcements and putting other things in motion at the same time. They're repeating the same mistakes they made after Man of Steel, trying to play catch up with the MCU, except this time around they're doing it at a time where Superhero Films are nowhere near the level of popularity they were once at. It seems a lot riskier to do this rather than putting 100% of your focus on one film, to make sure it's as good as possible.

There's a flaw in the latter end of your statement... Executives didn't trust the creatives (mostly Zack) in creating or releasing their visions. The EXECS interfered by editing BvS (the Ultimate Edition was superior), re-creating Justice League (ZSJL was superior), Suicide Squad was edited and reshot and the director says the theatrical release is nothing like what he shot.

In this, the exec IS the creative. James Gunn has a vision (an overall story... I BELIEVE he's going with a modernized take on Brave New World) and the scripts go through him. I trust him... He knows what he's doing and he's a lifelong fan of comics... He's one of us! Which is why HE wrote and is directing Superman Legacy... To set the tone for the new universe theatrically for audiences. EVERYTHING rides on SL to be GREAT and to WIN at the Box office. Gunn and Safran know this.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
There's a flaw in the latter end of your statement... Executives didn't trust the creatives (mostly Zack) in creating or releasing their visions. The EXECS interfered by editing BvS (the Ultimate Edition was superior), re-creating Justice League (ZSJL was superior), Suicide Squad was edited and reshot and the director says the theatrical release is nothing like what he shot.

In this, the exec IS the creative. James Gunn has a vision (an overall story... I BELIEVE he's going with a modernized take on Brave New World) and the scripts go through him. I trust him... He knows what he's doing and he's a lifelong fan of comics... He's one of us! Which is why HE wrote and is directing Superman Legacy... To set the tone for the new universe theatrically for audiences. EVERYTHING rides on SL to be GREAT and to WIN at the Box office. Gunn and Safran know this.

The executives absolutely trusted Zack Snyder... to begin with. They gave him the keys to the kingdom, and then got cold feet when they realised he was completely the wrong man for the project.

James Gunn is a much better choice, but given the state of the superhero movie genre, I have to think that just trying to get one good fucking movie made would have been the better way to go.

...and leave Matt Reeves doing Batman. We don't need another fucking version of him.

xrnzaaas

Clearly they picked her, because her popularity has skyrocketed thanks to House of the Dragon. With her looks she'd be better suited to play Supergirl's clever (IT department) sidekick.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Yeah but going by your logic, the risk is still there. Whether it’s the execs making the decisions, or one creative lead, they’re still casting a very wide and expensive net with all of these DC movie projects, when there’s no financial certainty that they will succeed.

Last year’s box office was disastrous for both Marvel and DC films. The landscape has changed. Superhero fatigue is here, audiences (especially parents) are used to waiting for movies to be available for streaming, and we’re entering another barren year of films similar to when Covid first hit, due to the delays caused by the strike. This will push audiences to be even more reliant on streaming. The future of big cinematic universes are a big question mark right now.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah but going by your logic, the risk is still there. Whether it’s the execs making the decisions, or one creative lead, they’re still casting a very wide and expensive net with all of these DC movie projects, when there’s no financial certainty that they will succeed.

Last year’s box office was disastrous for both Marvel and DC films. The landscape has changed. Superhero fatigue is here, audiences (especially parents) are used to waiting for movies to be available for streaming, and we’re entering another barren year of films similar to when Covid first hit, due to the delays caused by the strike. This will push audiences to be even more reliant on streaming. The future of big cinematic universes are a big question mark right now.

Any and ALL movies are risks with no guarantees of box office success.

I have said it once, I'll say it again: there is no superhero fatigue... It's bad or mediocre superhero movie fatigue. Out of all the SH movies released this year, which one did the best? Were the ones that flopped on the same level? Markus and McFeely aren't at Marvel anymore writing the next Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War or Endgame. COVID effed Marvel that first year... But so did Chapek. Yes, all those shows and movies were already planned but I doubt it was the plan to release them all the way they were... Plus Chapek took away some of Feige's power by having middle managers between him and most of the projects. Love and Thunder would never have been that stupid had Feige been there overseeing it. Having this year MOSTLY off is a blessing. Feige has his power back and is back to "overseeing" the projects... Hence him scrapping the original Daredevil Born Again story (they already had shot a good bit) and retooling it and bringing back Foggy and Karen and a lot of the Netflix DD BTS team.

That said ... I'm not as jaded as most of you lot... In Feige and Gunn I trust.

jason10mm

Gold Member

I have said it once, I'll say it again: there is no superhero fatigue... It's bad or mediocre superhero movie fatigue. Out of all the SH movies released this year, which one did the best? Were the ones that flopped on the same level? Markus and McFeely aren't at Marvel anymore writing the next Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War or Endgame. COVID effed Marvel that first year...
Oh, there is DEFINITELY superhero fatigue. A LOT of those early MCU films were actually kinda mediocre but were carried on the wave of initial excitement, enthusiasm, and interest. But now we've seen it all, there is little new in this space, and the cookie cutter factory molded capeshit films are getting CRUSHED in ways Thor2, Captain Marvel, BvS, etc didn't. Wakanda Forever was down like 40% vs BP, The Marvels like 80% vs CM, Aquaman 2 60% vs AQ1. Sure, some novelty like The Batman or Joker might still hit it out of the park, but the usual supe film is dying out there, and not because the quality is down, there wasn't much to begin with, but because the core audience that used to turn out for these things is absolutely disillusioned and turned away by how they were treated.

I'd argue that films like Blue Beetle and Shazam 2 earned EXACTLY what they were always gonna earn, the failure was spending so much on them in the first place. Both could have had entire SFX sequences removed and been fine. Black Adam ESPECIALLY suffered for this. But drek like The Marvels was never gonna hit it, Captain Marvel only did so well because it was surfing the wake of Avengers. Batgirl would have been in the same boat, a low interest heroine unlikely to be a big draw regardless of film quality. Birds of Prey the same.

Madflavor

Yes of course, but there's varying degrees of risking. Making one film is less risky than putting multiple projects into production at once.

I have said it once, I'll say it again: there is no superhero fatigue... It's bad or mediocre superhero movie fatigue. Out of all the SH movies released this year, which one did the best? Were the ones that flopped on the same level? Markus and McFeely aren't at Marvel anymore writing the next Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War or Endgame. COVID effed Marvel that first year... But so did Chapek. Yes, all those shows and movies were already planned but I doubt it was the plan to release them all the way they were... Plus Chapek took away some of Feige's power by having middle managers between him and most of the projects. Love and Thunder would never have been that stupid had Feige been there overseeing it. Having this year MOSTLY off is a blessing. Feige has his power back and is back to "overseeing" the projects... Hence him scrapping the original Daredevil Born Again story (they already had shot a good bit) and retooling it and bringing back Foggy and Karen and a lot of the Netflix DD BTS team.

There is absolutely Superhero Fatigue, I can't believe after 2023's performance people would even argue against that. Sure big IPs like Spiderman and Batman are still going to make money, but the days of putting out just any random C or B list superhero, and make bank off of it are gone. The novelty of the shared cinematic universe has worn off for many people. J jason10mm summed up most of it, but there is no denying at this point that many people are tired of Superhero films.

ManaByte

..and leave Matt Reeves doing Batman. We don't need another fucking version of him.
Reeves gets to finish his trilogy. Then Bruce will return to the DCU as the rumor going around is the Batman in Brave and the Bold will be Dick so there’s not two Bruce Waynes at once.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I trust him...
I don't, he gets a lot of praised for guardians, but anyone familiar with the source material (at least dan slott's run leading to annihilation), knows that he pretty much did his own thing and changed a lot of it, plenty for the worse; changing drax and mantis to some stupid comic relief was lame, at least the guardians game kept them closer to the source.
And he absolutely butchered the nova corps, nova is my fav marvel hero and gunn just completely ruined them.

I did like the peacemaker show though, so perhaps he'll be a better fit for DC.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Reeves gets to finish his trilogy. Then Bruce will return to the DCU as the rumor going around is the Batman in Brave and the Bold will be Dick so there’s not two Bruce Waynes at once.

It's going to be Bruce, not Dick. Partly because it features Damian Wayne getting to know his father.

Top Bottom