• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minor: Nintendo files Declaration of Use for Metroid: Other M trademark

Calm Mind

giphy.gif

If ya don't like the story, do like I do: headcanon that it takes place while
Samus is unconscious and being operated on in Fusion. The whiny, pathetic Samus in Other M is actually an SA-X attempting to replicate her behavior and doing a poor job of it. Once the actual Seamus wakes up, she nonchalantly kills the imposter and mourns Adam's death. Then, Fusion happens.

rjc571

Banned
It's a decent game with a Playstation era (before MGS) story and presentation. The object of ridiculous hyperbole. I just didn't like the controls or feel of the game. I'd like if they could have pulled off a third person Metroid with much more refinement and way better level design.

When you say better level design, do you just mean more open-ended? For an action/adventure game with a mainly linear focus, Other M's level design was excellent.

It's a good game with a bad story

Story-wise, if you have half an ounce of respect for her the way it treats Samus' character is inexcusably terrible. The rest of it is pretty 'blah' at best and garbage at worst.

As far as how it is gameplay-wise, it sort of touches on what I've always seen as the major divide between Metroid fans- on one hand, you have the people who like it as more of an action series and judge the games based on their mechanics/combat. On the other hand, you have people who mostly like it for its exploration-based gameplay and judge the games on their non-linearity/sequence-breakability. The former group likes the gameplay of pretty much all of them, the latter group generally believes the series peaked at Super and Prime 1/2 and the more linear/story-based games like Fusion and Other M are garbage.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Story-wise, if you have half an ounce of respect for her the way it treats Samus' character is inexcusably terrible. The rest of it is pretty 'blah' at best and garbage at worst.
I just can't believe they came out with a story that's even terrible by video game standards. Like, the characters are bad, there are like multiple subplots that either just aren't good or don't make sense or are just dropped, like 2/3 of it is boring scenes of narration while Samus stands around and occasionally has a flashback, there's barely any emotion involved and when it suddenly shows up it feels unearned, and basically none of the problems the story presents are solved by the main character.

And then they thought it was good enough that it should be unskippable and that you'd want to watch it again as a movie after you finished the game.

Like... what?

I just hope Other M didn't ruin the idea of 3rd person Metroid games. While I appreciate the Prime games, I never like 1st person in games.

Top Bottom