• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri Governor Halts Man's Execution After DNA Questions

Cyanity

Banned
Continuation of yesterday's story.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ri-prepares-to-execute-its-2nd-inmate-of-2017

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens on Tuesday halted the scheduled execution of condemned inmate Marcellus Williams after DNA testing raised questions about whether he actually killed.

Just hours before Williams was to be put to death, the Republican governor said in an email that he was issuing a stay of execution. Williams was convicted of fatally stabbing former St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter Lisha Gayle during a 1998 burglary at her suburban St. Louis home. Williams was to be executed Tuesday evening.

Greitens' decision comes after Williams' attorneys cited DNA evidence found on the murder weapon that matched another unknown person, but not Williams. But St. Louis County prosecutor Bob McCulloch said there was ample other evidence to convict Williams, and that there's "zero possibility" he's innocent.

"A sentence of death is the ultimate, permanent punishment," Greitens said in his statement. "To carry out the death penalty, the people of Missouri must have confidence in the judgment of guilt."

Greitens said he will appoint a five-member board of inquiry made up of retired judges with subpoena power. The board will make a recommendation to the governor concerning whether the 48-year-old Williams should be executed. No timetable has been set.

Looks like this isn't over. I wonder what sort of "ample evidence" they have.

Surprised a bloodthirsty Republican gov. would actually be moved to stay the execution. They normally think the state murder of people is a good thing regardless of innocence.

MechaX

Looks like this isn't over. I wonder what sort of "ample evidence" they have.

He had a lot of the victim's belongings (jury was not entirely convinced that he picked all of that stuff up from a pawn shop, because he also had personalized memorabilia of the victim in his possession as well), might have used gloves, and was trying to conceal either a bloody shirt or blood on the shirt he was wearing. Plus, the testimony against him by an unconnected cell mate from an unrelated jailing, and his girlfriend at the time was pretty damning (basically the guy seemingly disclosed or confessed to his alleged role in the murder to both, and they both came forward to the police at different times).

That non withstanding, they should take another look at the case with this new DNA evidence in mind.

Madness

It's crazy that this is all you need to convict nowadays, especially if the jury is on your side.

Except it isn't. You're talking about a case from 1998. DNA was finally starting to be used in the mid 90's to late 90's in criminal cases, homicides and murders.

The requirements for murder, homicides, these days make it very hard for prosecutors to easily convict like you think. More guilty people go free in 2017, than any innocent man is convicted of a crime he didn't commit in terms of violent assault, killing, homicide.

Now I don't discount racial bias amongst juries and judges, but with modern forensic evidence, CCTV use, DNA collection, GPS and smartphones it is very hard for innocent people to be caught up in a murder charge and it is much much harder now to actually prove someone committed a murder if the evidence isn't clear. It is why people like Casey Anthony walk free. Things like the Innocence Project have long used modern DNA evidence and better investigation into evidence to overturn many wrongful convictions.

These days, it is either open and shut or most likely the person is walking free.

Instro

Thank god-this was basically going to be murdering a clearly innocent man.
Based on what I've read of the original case, he does have a lot against him. He had stuff from the house, he sold the laptop to a pawn shop, and the testimony from his cell mate included details not publically reported. The thing I'm unclear on is if they recovered any of the bloody clothing he supposedly had.

Also seems like the dude had life in prison regardless due to prior crimes (unless I'm missing something).

MechaX

Based on what I've read of the original case, he does have a lot against him. He had stuff from the house, he sold the laptop to a pawn shop, and the testimony from his cell mate included details not publically reported. The thing I'm unclear on is if they recovered any of the bloody clothing he supposedly had.

Also seems like the dude had life in prison regardless due to prior crimes (unless I'm missing something).

Based on what I can ascertain from the Supreme Court case and party briefs, I don't think the clothes were ever recovered, just the laptop and personal memorabilia. The clothes might have been via his Ex's testimony.

And yeah, the guy had other unrelated offenses too, I just don't know how the sentencing went on those (so this may come down to the death penalty v life or a lot of time in prison as opposed to an outright release).

Meowster

Surprised that monster Greitens would even attempt something like this.
I am too. He's pretty sadistic.

Happy that this will give people the time to relook at the facts and get a more definite answer. I really don't believe in the death penalty but if it is used, it really should only be used when there is no doubt whatsoever.

Hazmat

Is this the same guy from the other thread that got posted a couple weeks back?

Yeah.

I'm glad they're taking another look, but it's fucked up that it took so long. Still, I'll take it if it means not murdering an innocent man.

gabbo

Plus, the testimony against him by an unconnected cell mate from an unrelated jailing, and his girlfriend at the time was pretty damning (basically the guy seemingly disclosed or confessed to his alleged role in the murder to both, and they both came forward to the police..
I've read that both the inmate and ex both received a nice sum of reward money from the family for going to police. Should that not cast some doubt on their testimony?

I've read that both the inmate and ex both received a nice sum of reward money from the family for going to police. Should that not cast some doubt on their testimony?

Sure but they also provided data that was not public knowledge. I don't know if this guy killed the reporter, but I think he was involved.

MechaX

There is a question whether or not that was sufficiently established by his defense at trial, but it probably was outweighed by the fact that both witnesses knew things that were not publicly reported but were known by the authorities.

gabbo

There is a question whether or not that was sufficiently established by his defense at trial, but it probably was outweighed by the fact that both witnesses knew things that were not publicly reported but were known by the authorities.

Fair, the report I read didn't mention the last bit

Top Bottom