• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri just executed a Mentally Disabled man who was missing a part of his brain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any system you institute is going to have faults. Absolutely. But that doesn't mean prisons are full of innocent people. Some, sure. But the majority? I doubt it.

Executing even one innocent person gives the state no more moral high ground than the murderers. So if that happens should be execute the prosecutor who convicted the innocent person? How about the jurors? Or the guy the flipped the switch?

Executing even one innocent person gives the state no more moral high ground than the murderers.

I never implied that the system had any moral high ground. I mean, it sucks that a system exists where people can be wrongly imprisoned and executed. But for the time being, what's the alternative? We certainly can't let criminals run free. I think the existing state of mind is that by living in a given country, you're agreeing to be bound by its legal system, regardless of how shitty it may be.

So if that happens should be execute the prosecutor who convicted the innocent person? How about the jurors? Or the guy the flipped the switch?

That's another issue, really. There seems to be this belief permeating society that someone needs to pay if they make a mistake. People aren't perfect, and life isn't fair.

Raistlin

This is real fucked

Been following this case for a bit, and was really thinking SCOTUS would show up before the eleventh hour

I did not claim that he wanted to die. I'm just saying that I personally think he is probably better off dead, even if he himself didn't think so. Harsh I know, but deal with it.

Do you have any idea what sort of mental illness he suffered? We know a few things he couldn't do himself. Should everyone with some sort of brain damage automatically be assumed to be incompetent to live and thus deemed worthy of sacrificing? Because not all brain damage is hell.

Also, you lack empathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom