• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mitch Dyer (ex-IGN) is now at EA Motive

We've known for a while that Mitch Dyer left IGN for a new job in Canada, but he was never too open about what he was doing. He posted on twitter today that he's working as a developer for EA Motive.

EA Motive is fronted by Jade Raymond & Amy Hennig. Good people as far as I'm concerned.

https://twitter.com/MitchyD

Not sure exactly what he's developing, nor did I know he had experience in that department, but all the best to him!

Edit: He's writing for EA Motive.

FelipeMGM

Well, I thought he was going to Ubi Montreal at some point, but he made fun of that prediction on twitter so I knew that wasnt the case anymore.

Kinda of a jerk move there Mitch D, but I like you anyway.
Hope everything goes well for him there, he is cool

Good.

On mobile, you don't need to worry about vision and viewing distance.

LOL

Congrats Mitch, I wish you the best. Mainstay on Podcast Unlocked and I wish you have said "Screw you Destin" and taken your Dukey trophy.

Isn't Henning at Visceral Games?

That's what I thought, but there she is on the EA Motive front page, which also says she's working with Visceral on the Star Wars game. I guess she helped with the creation of this studio? Honestly too sure about the specifics.

From what I can gather, Motive is working in collaboration with Visceral,

FelipeMGM

Nothing about this statement makes sense.

I see you are not familiar with this gem from IGN Unlocked (I cant find the video or the GIF lol)

That's what I thought, but there she is on the EA Motive front page, which also says she's working with Visceral on the Star Wars game. I guess she helped with the creation of this studio? Honestly too sure about the specifics.

Yeah, she is in the front page because Motive is assisting Visceral with that game, but Motive is not the studio she works for

Squire

Banned

Pretty sure Motive is doing the heavy lifting on that game. As in its Visceral's, but the scale of the project is going to require like ~300 people or something and that's where Motive really comes in.

I think that happens a lot in this industry.

It does, but we're still talking about a really small number of people. Definitely still "the dream."

CamHostage

From critic to employee. He's living the dream.

It tends to be more like one dream blinked out of existence and time came to start a new dream...

True, a majority of critics have dreams of making their own games (as I'm sure virtually all game fans do,) but the idea that game critics are using the job as a stepping stone to game making is overstated. The dream of being able to write about games is real.I know I dreamed for years of writing for EGM or IGN64 one day, and most all of the writers in that business had similar interests of finding cool games and telling people similar to themselves about them, or saving fans a few bucks by ripping apart a shitty game.

That's a real dream. But as an occupation? It can really suck. Some comfortable livings have been made off of writing about games, but the people you know by name as game critics are not being paid on their name value. That's why, especially now with Youtube and Twitch where there's a chance to actually capitalize on name value and generate real money (though we'll see if that's a bubble or a valid business,) many are leaving major sites or spending no time working for major sites when their own brand can take off in the video space. As a writer, it only takes two or three years before you've maxed out your job ranking at a professional online site, and your choices are limited to progress your career: you can either become a manager (which means telling people how to write about games more than actually writing about them,) you could become a high-profile features writer doing top--shelf work (which A doesn't necessarily pay better and B puts you on the chopping block whenever cuts come down, as your awesome weekly or monthly article likely won't measure up in traffic against other daily content, especially once it's been pullquoted/copy-pasted to death and ignored by all the "too long didnt read" kids out there) or go off on your own and start your own site or video channel. Actually, there's also a fourth choice, which is sit there and continue doing what you've always done for as long as you find it interesting, and hope a few trips and fan meetups and nice fan letters keep the juices flowing. (All the while, mind you, you see a market around you changing in ways that rarely benefit the games you like to write about and the article types you excel at.)

So, do you continue playing with choices as a game critic, or do you just bail on the occupation and do something else while you're still young?

You can actually make enough money working on the development side to actually raise a family or have a solid career as you enter your 30's.

Yep. That's why when I see people talk about critics moving over to development and that being sketchy or indicating compromise (not that Neuromancer did that, just in general,) I get the concern and I encourage the watchdogs to stay vigilant, but I think these people would look for smoke elsewhere if they ever really got to know working game critics.

Top Bottom