• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith (FEAR, Blood) seemingly working on AAA cross-gen Lord of the Rings title

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Probably not overwhelmingly surprising given that all the WB Seattle studios have been working on Lord of the Rings games.

Kotaku said:
On his CV, a Seattle-based artist says the worked on storyboards for a AAA Lord of the Rings title at Monolith/WB Seattle last December and January following the release of Monolith's download-only LOTR MOBA Guardians of Middle-Earth. Given Monolith's recent emphasis on licensed games such as Guardians and Gotham City Impostors, Monolith handling another licensed title is hardly a surprise.

What might be a bit of surprise, however, is Monolith seemingly venturing back into AAA territory following layoffs and the studio's recent duo of smaller download-only titles. In early May, job postings revealed that the Seattle area studio is working on a cross-generation, quest-based open-world AAA action-adventure game.

Tolkien rights holders The Saul Zaentz Company recently registered a number of game-related trademarks and domains for "Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor," and those could very well fit Monolith's project. Monolith's title is likely still quite a bit away, but The Saul Zaentz Company registered trademarks for War in the North — the last AAA LOTR title — two years in advance of the game's release.
Source: http://kotaku.com/the-strange-prey-2-situation-1134835391

I'm not too big into the LOTR games but I remember playing a couple of them on my OG Xbox and loved the hell out of them. Really fun brawler type combat and they had pretty good production values.

This could be good.

Seik

Banned
Woah, I didn't know there was actually 2 'Monolith' studios.

Seriously, are you guys drunk?

It's a Lord of the Rings cross-gen game.

How on earth would it be from a Nintendo subsidiary? o_O

When you don't know two studios exists, a man can wonder. :p

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty sad to see how Monolith fell after being purchased by Warner. And they made one of the best horror games of a generation. Now they're just stuck making games Warner wants them to do.

But hey AAA LOTR game! Hope it's a revival of The White Council.

ec0ec0

Its 3.24 am here in spain and i dont know if it was because I'm half asleep but when i read the title i thought that i was reading the biggest new of the year and at the same time "it cant be, the would have made a huge conference for it, even a nintendo direct would not be enough..." but its not... :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aren't they the only part of WB Seattle now that Snowblind was closed/merged into their company?

Ein Bear

It's Condemned 3, set in Middle Earth. You play as Gandalf, and beat Elf-Tramps to death with your staff in the alleyways of Gondor.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Please be a "Fourth Age"/Third Age sequel. It's a crime that didn't get a sequel even if it was a knock-off of FFX.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm not too big into the LOTR games but I remember playing a couple of them on my OG Xbox and loved the hell out of them. Really fun brawler type combat and they had pretty good production values.

This could be good.

The Two Towers and Return of the King were two of the finest licensed games ever made.

I really liked War in the North (although I couldn't finish the game because the game became unstable on PC in the late levels) and I understand some of the remaining Snowblind staff were rolled into Monolith. I'd love to see a Next Gen Middle Earth.

Loxley

Fucking finally, WB Interactive have been doing almost nothing with the license outside of Guardians and War in the North. I'm not going to bother counting that Hobbit iOS/Android game.

Hoping for an open world RPG along the lines of Dragon's Dogma.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I love Gotham City, had a good time with Guardians and thought F.E.A.R. 1 and 2 were pretty great games.

Glad to see that they're once again venturing into full fledged titles again, but I hope they don't abandon the $15 titles because they were pretty damned great.

majik13

Seriously, are you guys drunk?

It's a Lord of the Rings cross-gen game.

How on earth would it be from a Nintendo subsidiary? o_O

key word "at first" like when you read somethign cursory. And then soon after take in the details. like "cross gen". Even if I think it is Monolith Soft that is being discussed doesn't mean I would believe it is or that that thread info is true, especially with the word "seemingly" in the title. Still, I was not aware of any other Monolith titled game company.

That how I thought it was Monolith Soft at first....on earth.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
key word "at first" like when you read somethign cursory. And then soon after take in the details. like "cross gen". Even if I think it is Monolith Soft that is being discussed doesn't mean I would believe it is or that that thread info is true, especially with the word "seemingly" in the title. Still, I was not aware of any other Monolith titled game company.

That how I thought it was Monolith Soft at first....on earth.

Fair enough.

ReaperXL7

I would love for this to be a big expansive rpg with createable main character, and an open middle earth to explore. Instead it will likely end up a first person shooter, or some conjuror of cheap tricks.

I would kill for a good LOTR game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I make it a point to call monolithsoft, monolithsoft now instead of casually monolith because of this

Top Bottom