• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mordhau Dev Won't Police Their Fanbase, Suggests Offended Players Use the Mute Function

Tesseract

Banned
If your game depends primarily upon a functional community, then yes, there should be a myriad of tools that lets the community moderate itself. This would certainly not be characterized as “wasting resources” per the super steaming hot take from the OP. Leaving it a cest pool of blatant sexist and racist trolling isn’t an answer, and neither is a mute button, if your goal is to engage people beyond the 4chan code of ethics tolerance level aka normal human beings.

fuck that, almost every multiplayer fps i've played over the years with this mantra or creedo has gotten corrupted by overbearing mods and cliquey hardcore players

if you don't like what someone is saying, ignore them or mute

Last edited:

desertdroog

Good.

The end result is diluting the product from a company devoting time and energy to attempt to adhere to the ever-changing dogma of regressives and what they find offensive. Damned if you do, damned if you don't as the timeline goes long.

If there is a mute button and an avoid player algorithm, use it. Empower thineself to remove the offenses from your own interactions.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
CUCKTACU

2f4.jpg

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

GOOD

this is the only correct response and i've been shocked over the years to see otherwise

shit talking is fun, if words rustle your jimmies then it's time to go home to mommy and hide under your bunk bed for your chicken tender dinner
Eh I disagree. I think shit talking is rather opposite of fun and is the result of people showing their basest natures and lack of creativity.
That being said, more power to people who do it. I will make a mental note and do my best to make their time in game a living hell. As long as tools are provided to mute/ignore then game creators have done their part. The rest is up to the player. People are free to change their experience without affecting others.

Tesseract

Banned
Eh I disagree. I think shit talking is rather opposite of fun and is the result of people showing their basest natures and lack of creativity.
That being said, more power to people who do it. I will make a mental note and do my best to make their time in game a living hell. As long as tools are provided to mute/ignore then game creators have done their part. The rest is up to the player. People are free to change their experience without affecting others.

we'll agree to disagree

while i don't really shit talk much, occasionally you want to rip into someone who's been unsportsmanlike in the absolutely grossest ways

it goes both ways, you shit talk me and i'm gonna lay into you in front of everyone

the basest nature bit and lack of creativity is w/e, not everything is supposed to be an intellectual pursuit

game_nomad

we'll agree to disagree

while i don't really shit talk much, occasionally you want to rip into someone who's been unsportsmanlike in the absolutely grossest ways

it goes both ways, you shit talk me and i'm gonna lay into you in front of everyone

the basest nature bit and lack of creativity is w/e, not everything is supposed to be an intellectual pursuit

It is unfortunate, but sometimes with some people you cannot solve a conflict peacefully. Violence is a dangerous solution, but still a solution. And I mean real life. If it wasn't life that, we wouldn't need armed police and armies :)

Last edited:

DryvBy

I saw that 2 weeks or so ago, the devs said they think doing Epic exclusives was a bad idea and they were doing that. Now we have a dog-pilled, obviously coordinated attack by the game media in the past 24 hours. The people that have been shilling for Epic aren't happy.

game_nomad

I saw that 2 weeks or so ago, the devs said they think doing Epic exclusives was a bad idea and they were doing that. Now we have a dog-pilled, obviously coordinated attack by the game media in the past 24 hours. The people that have been shilling for Epic aren't happy.
If that is true, then politics are nasty business

AsfaeksBR

What if these false reports, clearly meant to hurt Mordhau, is something requested by Epic Games?

We all know both Kotaku and PC Gamer are affiliated to Epic Games due to shareholders and even paid ad on their website. Mordhau is a game that gathered A LOT of player on Steam, and it's combat/mechanics/fun factor almost guarantee that it'll continue to be huge for a long time. Now, Epic Games bought the exclusivity rights to Chivalry 2, a direct competitor to Mordhau, launching as EGS Exclusive.

What if this is a coordinated attack in an attempt to weaken Mordhau's strength, and forcing the fanbase to switch to Chivalry 2 when it eventually releases?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What if these false reports, clearly meant to hurt Mordhau, is something requested by Epic Games?

We all know both Kotaku and PC Gamer are affiliated to Epic Games due to shareholders and even paid ad on their website. Mordhau is a game that gathered A LOT of player on Steam, and it's combat/mechanics/fun factor almost guarantee that it'll continue to be huge for a long time. Now, Epic Games bought the exclusivity rights to Chivalry 2, a direct competitor to Mordhau, launching as EGS Exclusive.

What if this is a coordinated attack in an attempt to weaken Mordhau's strength, and forcing the fanbase to switch to Chivalry 2 when it eventually releases?
You are thinking way too hard about this.

Early 2000's Kojima would be proud.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The most annoying thing back in the 360 were the kids playing rated M games while saying the n word. But even then you could mute them. Nothing has changed so I don't get these mods listening to people's game conversations. Good on these devs for reminding people of an option players have had for the last 20 years.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm placing my bet now: Mordhau gets smeared as an alt-right haven, if it hasn't already been. Full nine yards. Journalists will be digging into the dev's tweet history searching for something to expose. Everything they say and do is now going under the microscope.

The ideologues in game journalism cannot tolerate communities that regulate themselves.

CyberPanda

Banned
I'm placing my bet now: Mordhau gets smeared as an alt-right haven, if it hasn't already been. Full nine yards. Journalists will be digging into the dev's tweet history searching for something to expose. Everything they say and do is now going under the microscope.

The ideologues in game journalism cannot tolerate communities that regulate themselves.
Ummm, you should see the outrage on Ree. It's amazing to see them cry over this. lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This is exactly what is going to happen. It is not about controlling what you hear (self regulation), it is about controlling what other people say (authoritarian).

Fascism 101.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ummm, you should see the outrage on Ree. It's amazing to see them cry over this. lol.
Nah, I believe you. If Kotaku's response is any indication, they are frothing at the mouth over this. I can't wait for yet another game dev and yet another game get "canceled" over there. Can't wait for a huge meltdown thread in Gaming section where even more people get banned for their opinions.

This is exactly what is going to happen. It is not about controlling what you hear (self regulation), it is about controlling what other people say (authoritarian).

Fascism 101.
Honk honk. And yet these are the clowns establishment media stick up for.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
They get their little dopamine highs feeling like the arbiters of information up on their virtual pedestals.
The sad part is they are only adding fuel to their detractor's theories. GamerGate? No, that was just a smear against us paragons by some jealous incels. We're trustworthy. Oops, we keep getting caught in our shitty lies and contradictions. Uhhh, might I suggest that you are a racist?

All of their writing is marble-mouthed propaganda. I often feel numb when I stoop to read an article from a place like Kotaku or Polygon. It's blog-tier writing at best. They are fulfilling the picture painted by all those mean, nasty GamerGaters from years ago by acting out the exact things they warned about. I remember reading blog posts and articles in 2012 and 2013 (GamerGate was 2014, for context) accusing Kotaku of shilling virtue points as a fresh form of clickbait and moral pandering. I remember Totilio and Shreier visiting NeoGAF and peddling their lies. I remember the bizarre defense force that circled around completely terrible writers like Patricia Hernandez. I also remember the vicious hate-mob that jeered at Phil Fish.

It is weird how these same bottom-feeders are trying to moralize to gamers, as if their shit don't stink. This was only within the past few years. Their goldfish-memories are truly pathetic.

I went there (yes, I went there) for the lulz but all the posts are literally just drive-bys, saying "fuck this", or "fuck them", or "fuck it".

A right bunch of snowflakes knobs.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

I dunno, it's possible. I am sure there are a lot of dodgy dealings in the background when it comes to business.
For sure it would be suspect if there are connections to Epic Games and also there is a pattern of "attacking" developers etc who criticize Epic and/or Epic competitors.

If you look at the aspect of player moderation. What is actually involved in moderating a game like Mordhau?
From the perspective on an indie developer how much is that going to cost?

By applying this pressure, outlets like Kotaku and PC Gamer are at the very least trying to impose some kind of financial sanction on any indie game that has the ability for the community to chat to each other in game. Blocking and muting should be enough and you have to really depend on the community to police themselves. Otherwise you are looking at bringing on new employees for an unknown number of years on an indie project where money is probably tight as it is.

On the race and gender thing, I just don't know.

It seems logical to me that if you made a "realistic" game in a medieval setting then maybe most, if not all, of your characters would be white dudes?
When this comes up against a demand for inclusion there isn't really a good solution. Especially when you have these gaming websites waiting and ready to start screeching if you don't give the answer that they personally want.

Unfortunately I don't think there will be a winning move for the devs here. So anyone with an interest in harming this game has a pretty obvious and clear line of attack.

Might be reading too much into all that though.

Kazza

I don't think this has been posted yet (an update and clarification from Triternion):

Jax — Community Manager
In light of recent publicity on the state of MORDHAU’s community, we would like to discuss our stance on toxicity and the topic of gender and race in our game.

First and foremost, Triternion does not, nor have we ever, had plans to add a customization option that would force a white male default. This is an absurd idea that stems from a misunderstanding in a recent interview by PC Gamer with two of our artists. These artists, both uninvolved with character development went into a verbal interview with minimal PR experience and ended up answering some of the questions in a misleading way, which combined with a lack of context, led to some very controversial statements. Again, we at Triternion do not, nor have we ever had any plans to implement any kind of ethnicity toggle on potential future character ethnicity customization additions.

The responses given were referring to the gender part of the questions, which were based off an old controversial "gender toggle" idea, with the intention being to give the player options to play the game with only female characters, only male characters, or both. This concept was brought forth by one of our developers and posted prior to the game’s release as a response to a large number of heated debates regarding the topic of realism. The idea to give players this ability was simply a theoretical solution to a difficult problem and was never intended to be the official stance of Triternion on this topic. This is a lesson for us that we must be excessively prudent with the wording we use in the future as it can be easy to misconstrue an individual’s opinions and ideas as officially sanctioned.

Shortly after launch and in internal discussions, the concept of a gender option toggle was dismissed as it would undermine the customization players work hard to create. The two artists featured in the interview were ill-informed of this decision, which was a major mistake and miscommunication on the side of Triternion; and in combination with a question on a sensitive issue of which they were underprepared to answer, strongly contributed to this misunderstanding. Our official stance is that these toggle options are out of the question.

In regards to community toxicity, we do not have prior experience managing communities of this size, nor the manpower or resources that established studious can leverage. Our team consists of 11 first-time developers working remotely and volunteer moderators who try their best to curb this toxicity and behavior across all platforms, including in-game. At the moment we are stretched thin with major important content additions and unfortunately we do not have the staff nor systems in-place to moderate everything to our intended level of standards. We plan on improving in this regard. We hope our players understand our situation and will continue to place their faith in us, as improving these things will take time.

Last edited:

Zaffo

Whelp, was going to buy the game, in order to support the devs and their sensible politics about chat moderation e player immersion.
Guess PC gamer scared them silly and the game is going to slowly turn into "BF5 medieval warfare".

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Whelp, was going to buy the game, in order to support the devs and their sensible politics about chat moderation e player immersion.
Guess PC gamer scared them silly and the game is going to slowly turn into "BF5 medieval warfare".

Honestly, I'd still support them if I were you. The game is phenomenal, and the team deserves the money. This whole ordeal really sucks, but I appreciate them taking a hard stance, even if it was just in the beginning. The problem with stuff like this is that it can become a whirlwind incredibly fast, wouldn't really impact larger devs and publishers, but this is a lot different for obvious reasons. You have radicals from all over bashing them one way or another, and of course all of this negative/toxic publicity isn't going to help them at all. Regardless of what they do, they're not going to make everyone happy, and it's the worst feeling in the world, especially in the game industry. I honestly think at this point they're tired of dealing with "damage control" and just want it to stop, which, I can't really blame them.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
fuck that, almost every multiplayer fps i've played over the years with this mantra or creedo has gotten corrupted by overbearing mods and cliquey hardcore players

if you don't like what someone is saying, ignore them or mute
You are NOT respecting my feelings! Reported! Enjoy your 2 week ban from Overwatch!

Zaffo

Honestly, I'd still support them if I were you. The game is phenomenal, and the team deserves the money. This whole ordeal really sucks, but I appreciate them taking a hard stance, even if it was just in the beginning. The problem with stuff like this is that it can become a whirlwind incredibly fast, wouldn't really impact larger devs and publishers, but this is a lot different for obvious reasons. You have radicals from all over bashing them one way or another, and of course all of this negative/toxic publicity isn't going to help them at all. Regardless of what they do, they're not going to make everyone happy, and it's the worst feeling in the world, especially in the game industry. I honestly think at this point they're tired of dealing with "damage control" and just want it to stop, which, I can't really blame them.

Having a toggle is the literal definition of making everyone happy, unless you are ulcerated gaming jurno that cannot stand people having different tastes and believes.

And it's going downhill from here, devs have given the autrage crowd a finger, it wont stop until the game is dead on the ground and all the development effort is shifted towards combatting "toxicity" and implementing "representation".

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Having a toggle is the literal definition of making everyone happy, unless you are ulcerated gaming jurno that cannot stand people having different tastes and believes.
Well, having the toggle SHOULD make everyone happy. The problem is that it won't because of the obvious idiots that just want something to cry about. :messenger_unamused:

game_nomad

Politics are rather dirty business. They always lead to conflict, people are very protective of their beliefs. You just cannot have a calm talk on politics. Religion is a similar subject.

It is unfortunate that politics now affect games so much.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Wasn't paying much attention to this game until I saw the headline and the discussion here on said article.
Decided to buy the game...loving it so far.
And the online community in it is the same as every single online community in pub matches since the dawn of time. Grow a pair and ignore it.

Top Bottom