• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than 70 Guerrilla developers worked on Death Stranding

Bullet Club

More than 70 Guerrilla developers worked on Death Stranding

Horizon studio worked on art, design and more, game’s credits reveal

More than 70 Guerrilla Games developers worked on Kojima ProductionsDeath Stranding, the game’s credits reveal.

Death Stranding uses Guerrilla’s Decima game engine – the same tech behind PS4 exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn – and it was known some support from the Killzone creator would be required during development.

When the engine collaboration was announced in 2016, Kojima Productions said it had established a satellite team at Guerilla’s Amsterdam HQ to offer ‘technical support’ to the game’s Japanese development team.

However, the final version of Death Stranding reveals the Horizon studio’s development input was much broader than previously thought.

According to the game’s credits, Guerrilla contributed to Death Stranding’s environment art, animation, visual effects, cinematics, audio and more.

More than 40 Guerrilla engineers worked on the game, including Horzion Zero Dawn’s lead game programmer (Tommy De Roos), lead programmer (Frank Compagner), lead AI programmer (Arjen Beij) and technical director (Michiel van der Leeuw).

JqfS2bN.jpg

Horizon’s art director (Jan-Bart Van Beek), lead environment artist (Kim Van Heest), technical art director (Maarten van der Gaag), lead lighting artist (Roderick van der Steen) and lead technical animator (Bart Wijsman) also worked on Death Stranding.

Horizon Zero Dawn’s senior quest designer, James Kneuper is even credited for “guest design” on the Kojima title.
None of the Guerrilla developers credited above mention Death Stranding in their LinkedIn profiles.

Around 300 people worked on Horizon Zero Dawn at Guerrilla, while Kojima Productions is understood to employ just over 100 people.

Death Stranding reviews went live across the video games press on Friday, ahead of the game’s release on November 8.
Hideo Kojima’s first post-MGS release has received a mixed reception from the media, with scores ranging from 6 to 10.

In VGC’s Death Stranding review, we call the PS4 exclusive “an unusual and fascinating game by triple-A blockbusters standards” with a score of three out of five.

Source: VGC

spons

Killzone is a laughable franchise, but I have to admit their games look good. Never played Horizon, maybe if it hits PS Now in the future.

Soltype

I guess that explains the game's quality. Kojima probably should have delegated them just to graphics

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Killzone is a laughable franchise, but I have to admit their games look good. Never played Horizon, maybe if it hits PS Now in the future.
Horizon had a lot of potential and it was VERY pretty. I couldn't bring mysel to finish it...i just lost the enthusiasm to keep playing it. I think it's one of those games that lacks soul, as people say. I played Killzone 1 and 2...I didn't like either of them. Back then I was a Halo fanboy though, admittedly.

Ar¢tos

Sony must've bought Kojima Productions. No way would they let their first party studio help out in development.
They do it all the time all over the world. Japan Studio with From Software on Bloodborne, Sony Santa Monica helped lots of studios in many games, Xdev exists only to help 3rd parties in Europe (Detroit, Alienation, etc).

Bkdk

Not surprising, that’s the only big title that is using their engine and they definitely don’t want this to screw up so more AAA games will buy rights using their engine, see if it works out for them. They still got the pc version to really showcase it’s capabilities.

VertigoOA

Banned
Weird.... so Sony paid for a significant portion of development and man hours ... for it to be released on PC by some shovelware publisher?

Last edited:

mejin

Weird.... so Sony paid for a significant portion of development and man hours ... for it to be released on PC by some shovelware publisher?

one day some of you guys will understand the motto is #4TheplaystationPlayers

all it matters is the playstation platform

Top Bottom