• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is MS is going to Kill Game Pass Before CoD releases?

Is Game Pass dead by the end of the year?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
That might be what the influencers are saying, but I’m not sure if what they say has enough of an effect to change the spending habits of the Gamepass user base. Some of them are even admitting their opinion is an unpopular one.

Nah it won’t affect the masses at all. I am a hardcore gamer and prefer Xbox and I don’t even know who any of those “influencers” are. Now imagine how removed the less hardcore gamers are on what these people say.

💯 % not happening. Game Pass has become the cornerstone of their whole gaming business. It’s replacing consoles for them. As well as traditional game sales. The price of the subscription, like any subscription, will slowly increase over time.

They view Game Pass as their market differentiator that allows someone on any device they own to play Xbox games whenever and wherever they are, which is their entire goal.
and you realize that this "cornerstone" is not working at all. in fact; is the main factor they are faling as a business.

Nah it won’t affect the masses at all. I am a hardcore gamer and prefer Xbox and I don’t even know who any of those “influencers” are. Now imagine how removed the less hardcore gamers are on what these people say.
i know you live in your own bubble... but you are not the market buddy.

Xbox is faling in all front.

Gambit2483

💯 % not happening. Game Pass has become the cornerstone of their whole gaming business. It’s replacing consoles for them. As well as traditional game sales. The price of the subscription, like any subscription, will slowly increase over time.

They view Game Pass as their market differentiator that allows someone on any device they own to play Xbox games whenever and wherever they are, which is their entire goal.
Gamepass is a double edge sword in that It's great, if sub numbers continue to rise, but at the same time it also cuts into physical sales by training their customers to not buy other publishers games that aren't on Gamepass.

It will be extremely telling how MS views GP based on what it does with COD.

What about: end Gamepass and Gold fees at X date. Customers are refunded money equal to their time left in store credit, timed for when hit end of the year games are released, mostly made by MS.

Customers are retrained on buying, free Call of Duty is on Xbox only, Microsoft juices new storefronts. MS is the have it your way console, as they aim to get more storefronts in more places.

Purchasing can only go up without GP, and a Steam strategy is more lucrative than the flatlined Gamepass hole they dug.

What about: end Gamepass and Gold fees at X date. Customers are refunded money equal to their time left in store credit, timed for when hit end of the year games are released, mostly made by MS.

Customers are retrained on buying, free Call of Duty is on Xbox only, Microsoft juices new storefronts. MS is the have it your way console, as they aim to get more storefronts in more places.

Purchasing can only go up without GP, and a Steam strategy is more lucrative than the flatlined Gamepass hole they dug.
i used Chat GPT to understand what you are saying, is this a correct interpretation?
  1. Ending Gamepass and Gold Fees: The suggestion is to stop charging fees for Gamepass (a subscription service offering access to a library of games) and Xbox Live Gold (a subscription for online multiplayer and other features) at a specific date. Customers who have already paid for these services would be refunded the money equivalent to the remaining time on their subscriptions, but in the form of store credit.
  2. Timing of Refunds: The timing for this refund would coincide with the release of major games towards the end of the year, particularly those developed by Microsoft. This could potentially incentivize customers to spend their refunded money on purchasing these new releases.
  3. Exclusive Content and New Storefronts: There's a mention of making Call of Duty games free exclusively on Xbox platforms, which could attract more players to the Xbox ecosystem. Additionally, Microsoft would focus on expanding its storefront presence across various platforms, making it more accessible to users.
  4. Increasing Purchases: The proposal suggests that without the Gamepass subscription model, direct game purchases would increase. It argues that adopting a strategy similar to Steam (a popular digital distribution platform for PC games) would be more financially beneficial for Microsoft compared to the current Gamepass model.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member

Pretty much. It’ll change in price or features but it isn’t going away.

i just want to know the general vibes.

the more I think on it. the more likely I see MS killing Game Pass.

Cutting to the chase:

Xbox needs to make money fast and furiously.

1. We know Xbox Studios + Zenimax are not contributing to it.
2. Game Pass hasn't grown. and the growth projections for subscription services are not encouraging
3. Hardware will continue to decline
4. ABK is the sole reason for Xbox's growth in the last quarter; without them, Xbox´s revenue would have declined.
5. The dilemma is existential:
If you launch CoD on Game Pass and the strategy doesn't work out, you'd not only lose direct game sales but also one of the most important cash cows in your entire business...a business desperate to make money. The gambit is too damn risky and is not worth it when CoD by itself is working as a sub-service/platform.​
Edit:​
Now you can change your vote based on the events of the next two quarters 😁
This is a hilarious thread title but also profound considering the risk of putting COD on Gamepass day 1.

i used Chat GPT to understand what you are saying, is this a correct interpretation?
  1. Exclusive Content and New Storefronts: There's a mention of making Call of Duty games free exclusively on Xbox platforms, which could attract more players to the Xbox ecosystem. Additionally, Microsoft would focus on expanding its storefront presence across various platforms, making it more accessible to users.

The AI missed here. Call of Duty wouldn’t be free on Xbox, you have to buy it like on PlayStation. In my proposal, an Xbox user has no online fees (like the growing PC market) which is an exciting alternative to paying $80 a year for PSPlus to play online.

You still have to buy Call of Duty annually. Otherwise, top marks!

Danknugz

Every Xbox fan ever: "To hell with sustainability, I still have 3 years of gamepass I bought for a dollar! Give me COD or I'll sue!"

*laugh emoji*
i have no loyalty to any corporation, and i'm actually kind of ashamed of gamig and most of my friends don't game. if they cancelled gamepass i would take it as an opportunity to just quit gaming altogether cause no way i'm shelling out 60$ for these stupid corny little games.

danklord

Gold Member
The best future is the one where Microsoft gives a free battlepass to gamepass subscribers, but still charges full retail for all.

Not because it makes sense, but because I want to watch the world burn.

among and tassi....both intellectuals

RIHDg7P.jpeg
rt7yWkL.jpeg
ITfM5VL.jpeg
vSqxFuh.jpeg

...The content of this videos/articles are irrelevant. is just the idea of this narrative going around.

i feel bad for knowing the reference of this:
w07N784.jpeg

anothertech

i have no loyalty to any corporation, and i'm actually kind of ashamed of gamig and most of my friends don't game. if they cancelled gamepass i would take it as an opportunity to just quit gaming altogether cause no way i'm shelling out 60$ for these stupid corny little games.
It sounds like gaming is not for you bud. And that's ok.

New games are $70 these days, and gamepass is a wonderful but unsustainable offering. If you can't spend $60 on something you enjoy but are ashamed of, you're part of the problem honestly.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Microsoft shutting down Gamepass......they might as well just shut down the whole division.
They will stomach the debt and go third party......but killing Gamepass before the end of year.....not a chance.

No, they've put way too much into the service to just abandon it.

I reckon that they are currently working out how to let Game Pass users know that new Call of Duty titles will not be coming to the service. They'll probably push out a statement in the next few months saying that historic titles will drop onto the service, but new ones will not arrive day of release.

Its a lose lose situation for them I think. On the one hand they'll piss off the majority of Game Pass users for going back on their word that all first party games released day one, but on the other they risk losing an absolute fortune in by putting it on the service.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This lady is a McKinsey alum, all they do is fire and outsource. Once Phil is out she's the obvious replacement. Darker times are certainly coming for XBox.

Hah, seems I wasn't the only one on neogaf to pay attention to Sarah Bond's curriculum.

Yes, she's an alumni of the infamous McKinsey consulting firm. And yes, McKinsey's one size fits all solution is fire and outsource.

Last edited:
On the one hand they'll piss off the majority of Game Pass users for going back on their word that all first party games released day one, but on the other they risk losing an absolute fortune in by putting it on the service.
MS's PR It's so embarrassing. I don't know why it was necessary to "green light" that WSJ article.... (internal pressure?)

killing tango and arkane it's counterproductive in a future where Game Pass is a priority

Booty said it was for management reasons to focus resources on high impact IPs (games that take longer to develop or are Live-Ongoing ones)

Sarah said it was for the Long-term health of the business (they are bleeding money and they need to make it back)

putting the future of the division on a single IP... is so damn risky. it's going to be so interesting how they will deal with the consequences.

Naked Lunch

Just my 2 cents - but I feel like Microsoft seriously miscalculated the long time established Xbox fans who have absolutely no desire to jump on board to Gamepass.
Even when they tried to force gold users to gamepass lite or whatever.
Theres a significant amount of Xboxers who could care less about the service.
Im one of them.

I dont game by 'bored channel surfing'.
I have zero desire to try out all kinds of different games - who has time for that?
When I game - I know exactly what I want to play, buy, and spend time on.
And many of the games I like on Xbox arent even on Gamepass.

Last edited:
This would ve been a cool theory when gamepass was just launched.

Now both Sony/Nintendo has followed their footsteps, all major publishers have their own subscriptions.

Thread is a bit too late.

Top Bottom