• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Xbox have been so intent on beating Sony PlayStation, they have ended up beating themselves.

MayauMiao

Remember PGR ?
Remember DOA3 ?
Remember DOA Ultimate ?
Remember Ninja Gaiden ?
Remember Panzer Dragoon Orta ?
Remember Halo 1 and 2 ?
Remember Sega GT ?
Remember Shenmue 2 ?
Remember Otogi 1 and 2 ?
Remember Metal wolf chaos ?
Remember Crimson skies ?
Remember KOTOR ?
Remember the Blinx games ?
Remember the Splinter cell games ?
Remember Kingdom under fire 1 and 2 ?

Remember the X360 which sold gangbusters due to Halo 3, PGR 3 and 4, The Gears trilogy , an EXCLUSIVE Ace combat 6 and FF13 which set the internet on fire ?

I do.

Shame that MS forgot about them.

The Xbox one and series consoles were/are literally gaming boxes with no games - the old "Xbox has no games" of yore meme has finally (and unfortunately) come true, there's literally zero reasons to have one, shit, got an XSX on day1 and after 2+ years I was still waiting on all those promised games, couple that with the infinite PR bullshit and I had to jump ship again.

They did this to themselves, they have no one else to blame.

I remember those, in fact I still have the games and planning to have a retro corner for OG Xbox, PS2, Wii, etc.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I understand why MS didn't want to go with a lower number for the name of the Xbox 2, because people are extremely dumb. There's the story of the 1/3lb burger failing in America because people thought it was smaller than the 1/4lb burger and therefore worse value.

But on the other side of that they should have also learned from Nintendo's experience. I would wager their awful naming choices after 360 have ironically been far more damaging than going with a numbered console that was -1 from Sony's.

The S/X split was a nice idea on paper, but it seems to have held them back.

It is a shame, and the idea that the console market will lose competition is something that won't benefit anyone but Sony. The last time I said that people jumped on it, but I think some are blinded to how business works. Sony isn't a benevolent god. They'll be straight on the phone to nVidia asking for pricing tips.

ArcaneNLSC

There's nothing wrong with beating yourself

competition wack off GIF

Ronin_7

Xbox hardware are fumbled so bad i don't think Sony considers them competition internally anymore.

Xbox hardware teams have apparently also been hit before, those Teams were already in small size compared to SIE.

Their engineer efforts is also 5 years behind at this point, hence no DLSS like Solution & Pro refresh.

Kumomeme

they are too greedy and severely lack of patient. rather than beat Sony, they want to achieve more than that instantly. rather than believe in the process, they betting on 'instant magical monopoly formula' instead. they doesnt want to stick for traditional process so they end up 'addicted' at trying looking for shortcut or 'clever' way to cut through the bushes than strengthening the foundation and it end up cost them. spending all the time for word PR, painting their competitor as evil wont change anything since they themself arent do themself any favour.

even just for competing with Sony would take lot of time, they end up too hasty, already see themself further than just defeating Sony and expecting it will happen within very short time.

thats why they trying to do everything at one time but end up nailed nothing. rather than believe on their developers foremost and work through there, they believing more on their bussiness model even it would cost their devs, while ignoring multiple noise from them.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

Banned
Yeah I love Xbox 360 days but God darn what happen MS ?? It's making it harder and harder to try support xbox which I love.

Just take risks fuck it. You got the money there to burn. Every person saying where's the games. Well you had some top games there. But let's see some first party. Let studio's cook. Get some people oversee stuff a bit better so shit does not go south. Let's make it about the games again.
That sentiment is at least a decade out of date, but it's exactly what they're doing. A series of events has made it that they are now all in on games - big, money-raking games - and putting them anywhere and everywhere they can.

Forget Game Pass, forget xbox hardware as you know it and embrace Microsoft's ubiquitous multiplatform games anywhere you like. It's all about the games (and the DLC, expansions, paid early access, skins etc.) not a box, not a service, but games. that's the only way they're going to bring in the kind of money they need to make this all work, and they have ~20k people at it.

Whether they can pull it off with the likes of Spencer and Booty at the helm, leaders who have never shown the ability to ensure anything like an acceptable cadence of quality end product, is an entirely different matter.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
We didn’t want to name our console the Xbox 2 because it sounded less advanced than the Playstation 3.

*Name next console Xbox One to compete with the PS4*

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
It's been XBOX since forever: more interested in winning silly number games with competitors than actually making great products. Nintendo and PlayStation have both had their stumbles but instead of looking outwards at what competitors were doing, they looked inward and focused on their own strengths - Nintendo's bounce back from the Wii U was about having the courage to do what they'd always done best: innovate. PlayStation's bounce back from PS3 was about going back to what made them successful in the past: not the box, but the games. Both are now monolithic figures in gaming who barely look at one another.

tommib

I think they could’ve been ok but they just had a constant cascade of flops with Redfall, Motorsport and Starfield. These were supposed to be some of the GOATs. Starfield was supposed to be the game of the generation.

Motorsport was supposed to be so advanced that it would annihilate the classicalism of GT7 after years and years and delays in the making. It’s probably the biggest Xbox studios bomb ever. Add to that a service that takes sales out of the picture and it’s a shitstorm.

80 billion spent on an acquisition was the interplanetary air strike that reduced Xbox to a shareholders and higher management nightmare.

Last edited:

shaddam

Xbox has always felt like an absolute mess lacking long term stability and vision

Xbox to…Xbox 360…to Xbox One and Xbox One X….to Xbox Series S and series X

Consumers are like WTF is this shit?
This. I was checking second hand xboxes for maybe find a good priced one and fuck around in unreal championship 2, but got confused with the naming

SHA

The fire controller they just released is like they're in sorry state cause nobody could take it seriously.

I feel Microsoft is lucky that it didnt go through that it was labled a criminal organization and broken up in the late 90s/early 2000s

N30RYU

Remember PGR ?
Remember DOA3 ?
Remember DOA Ultimate ?
Remember Ninja Gaiden ?
Remember Panzer Dragoon Orta ?
Remember Halo 1 and 2 ?
Remember Sega GT ?
Remember Shenmue 2 ?
Remember Otogi 1 and 2 ?
Remember Metal wolf chaos ?
Remember Crimson skies ?
Remember KOTOR ?
Remember the Blinx games ?
Remember the Splinter cell games ?
Remember Kingdom under fire 1 and 2 ?

Remember the X360 which sold gangbusters due to Halo 3, PGR 3 and 4, The Gears trilogy , an EXCLUSIVE Ace combat 6 and FF13 which set the internet on fire ?

I do.

Shame that MS forgot about them.

The Xbox one and series consoles were/are literally gaming boxes with no games - the old "Xbox has no games" of yore meme has finally (and unfortunately) come true, there's literally zero reasons to have one, shit, got an XSX on day1 and after 2+ years I was still waiting on all those promised games, couple that with the infinite PR bullshit and I had to jump ship again.

They did this to themselves, they have no one else to blame.
I remember they trying on the japan market with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey

Markio128

I’d be more than happy if MS had a complete reboot with Xbox. Stop treating it like a service like they do with Windows.

jm89

It's true.

Just look at how phil and the other execs speak in the emails that came out from FTC vs MS.

Sony execs did take some digs aswell at MS, but nowhere near MS execs.

Top Bottom