• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murakami's new novel set for release in Japan in February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
TOKYO — Haruki Murakami’s new novel is set for release in Japan in February, and that’s about as much as his fans are being told.

Publisher Shinchosha Publishing C. made the announcement Wednesday. The book’s title, theme and exact date of release remain a mystery.

The publisher showed two blank white books on its website with the message, “Haruki Murakami’s new novel coming soon in February 2017.”

Murakami’s longer novels have been released in multiple short volumes in Japanese.

A very strange story. That’s how Murakami himself described the upcoming novel at an event in Denmark, where he recently traveled to receive the Hans Christian Andersen Literature Award.

There was no indication of when the new novel might be available outside of Japan.

Murakami, 67, usually shies away from the limelight, although he has spoken out on issues such as world peace and nuclear energy. He began writing while running a jazz bar in Tokyo after finishing college. His 1987 romantic novel “Norwegian Wood” was his first best-seller, establishing him as a young literary star.

Murakami’s most recent novel is “Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage,” which was released in Japan in 2013. A collection of short stories, “Men Without Women,” was published in 2014. His million-seller “1Q84” in 2009 was one of his longest novels, with the Japanese edition totaling three volumes.​

https://www.japantoday.com/category...ew-novel-set-for-release-in-japan-in-february

http://www.shinchosha.co.jp/harukimurakami/

fuck yes

update:

The title of the novel was announced: "Killing Commendatore" ("Kishidancho Goroshi" which means "Murder of a Knight Commander")

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami will release a new novel titled "Killing Commendatore" on Feb. 24, its publisher Shinchosha Publishing Co. said Tuesday, his first multivolume novel in seven years.

The novel, comprising two books, is priced at 1,944 yen ($16.77), tax included, said Shinchosha, via which Murakami, 67, released in 2009 and 2010 a long excerpt from "Book 1" through "Book 3" of his novel "1Q84."

Murakami, one of Japan's best-known contemporary novelists and often touted as a candidate for the Novel Prize in literature, released the novel "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage" in April 2013, and a collection of short stories entitled "Onna no Inai Otokotachi" (Men Without Women) in April 2014. The two books were published by Bungeishunju Ltd.

Shinchosha had announced in late November that Murakami will release a new novel in February. At that time the publisher did not disclose details including the title.
http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170110/p2g/00m/0et/071000c

The article mentions it's two volumes, but depending on the number of pages it might be released as a single one in most countries, as it's not uncommon for single volume novels to be split in two in Japan.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm excited but I didn't think too much of Colorless. Maybe his next one will be better. I'm sure I'll read it anyhow.

I have so many of his books to catch up on. Like, I think if I'm reading his stuff chronologically I havent even hit the 2000s yet. :/

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited but I didn't think too much of Colorless. Maybe his next one will be better. I'm sure I'll read it anyhow.
I read it right after reconnecting with a bunch of formerly close high school friends at a funeral of one of our crew. It was the right book at the right time for me. I'm not sure I'll ever read it again because I don't want to acknowledge it's objectively not great haha.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The title of the novel was announced: "Killing Commendatore" ("Kishidancho Goroshi" which means "Murder of a Knight Commander")

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami will release a new novel titled "Killing Commendatore" on Feb. 24, its publisher Shinchosha Publishing Co. said Tuesday, his first multivolume novel in seven years.

The novel, comprising two books, is priced at 1,944 yen ($16.77), tax included, said Shinchosha, via which Murakami, 67, released in 2009 and 2010 a long excerpt from "Book 1" through "Book 3" of his novel "1Q84."

Murakami, one of Japan's best-known contemporary novelists and often touted as a candidate for the Novel Prize in literature, released the novel "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage" in April 2013, and a collection of short stories entitled "Onna no Inai Otokotachi" (Men Without Women) in April 2014. The two books were published by Bungeishunju Ltd.

Shinchosha had announced in late November that Murakami will release a new novel in February. At that time the publisher did not disclose details including the title.
http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170110/p2g/00m/0et/071000c

The article mentions it's two volumes, but depending on the number of pages it might be released as a single one in most countries, as it's not uncommon for single volume novels to be split in two in Japan.

Melubas

I think his older stuff is awesome, but I never liked his short stories and IQ84 (Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki was ok). Hoping he goes back to his roots with this one.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've never read any of his work. Are they really that good? Do they translate from Japanese to English fairly well? Where should I start. The synopsis for 1Q84 looks interesting.

Afrocious

I've never read any of his work. Are they really that good? Do they translate from Japanese to English fairly well? Where should I start. The synopsis for 1Q84 looks interesting.

I really liked Norwegian Wood. It's the only work of his I've read though.

Qurupeke

Looking forward to it.

Read four of his books recently, I think they're pretty good. Some of them are certainly a bit intimidating at first, but the more you get used to his writing, the better they become. I'll also link this, in case you're wondering what you should read first or what's worth it the most.

Lanf

Hah, nice to hear. Just finished my first Murakami book: "Dance Dance Dance". Thought it was brilliant, so I'm keen to read more. A friend just gave me "1Q84", but I might put that off a bit. Any suggestions as to what to read first?

Edit: already answered it seems, thx

A Murakami book described as "a very strange story"? You don't say?

Hah, nice to hear. Just finished my first Murakami book: "Dance Dance Dance". Thought it was brilliant, so I'm keen to read more. A friend just gave me "1Q84", but I might put that off a bit. Any suggestions as to what to read first?

Wind-up Bird Chronicle.

Ruruja

1Q84 is the only one I've read of his, though I'm going to start Norwegian Wood and Kafka on the Shore soon.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I think it's a bit of a polarising book. I found it very vivid and interesting.

IronRinn

Edit: already answered it seems, thx
Dance Dance Dance is a sequel to his book A Wild Sheep Chase (which was the last part of his Trilogy of the Rat) so you could read that. My first was Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World which is excellent. I see The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle was recommended, which is my favorite. Was never a fan of Norwegian Wood.

omgkitty

I read After Dark first. While obviously not his best work, it left me intrigued to check out his other work and it was a quick read. Murakami definitely has his own unique style and voice, and I think you either love it or you don't.

Lanf

Wind-up Bird Chronicle.

Dance Dance Dance is a sequel to his book A Wild Sheep Chase (which was the last part of his Trilogy of the Rat) so you could read that. My first was Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World which is excellent. I see The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle was recommended, which is my favorite. Was never a fan of Norwegian Wood.

Just read the synopsis, very intriguing. Wind-up Bird Chronicle it will be.

I loved Wind up Bird and Kafka on the Shore, but was a little unimpressed with Colorless. Wondering if this book will tend more towards his realist side or his more fantastical stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom