• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My band finished our mastered EP! Degrade us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tt_deeb

Neat stuff! Reminds me of Sparta/At The Drive In. Definately have the talent, and nicely recorded. You guys rented out a studio?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
tt_deeb said:
Neat stuff! Reminds me of Sparta/At The Drive In. Definately have the talent, and nicely recorded. You guys rented out a studio?

haha yeah, ATDI was our biggest influence. and yeah, we payed for studio time.

thanks for the kind words guys.

the rest of our EP:

http://angrygodofjebus.com/MS/01 - The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over The Hills.mp3
http://angrygodofjebus.com/MS/03 - A Little Destruction.mp3
http://angrygodofjebus.com/MS/05 - Retrograde.mp3
http://angrygodofjebus.com/MS/06 - Corrupt Signal.mp3

Beezy

I know just about nothing about rock. I'm just gonna say that I hate whoever is on vocals. HATE. Everything eelse sounds cool to me. Remember, I know nothing.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
yeah i agree the vocalist is kinda weak, everything else is really tight though.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Beezy said:
I know just about nothing about rock. I'm just gonna say that I hate whoever is on vocals. HATE. Everything eelse sounds cool to me. Remember, I know nothing.

yeah, we get a lot of that. our singer isn't quite that good. he's actually quite bad. but we've known him for 7 years, so we're not gonna get rid of him. just something anyone who likes our music is gonna have to get used to =p

Socreges

Banned
Eminem said:
Degrade us!
so yeah...tell me how horrible we are.
I understand that you're just trying to discourage people from criticizing you, but be a little more confident in your music. Especially since it's pretty good, though nothing I'd listen to. The vocals are particularly offending. :p

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Socreges said:
I understand that you're just trying to discourage people from criticizing you, but be a little more confident in your music. Especially since it's pretty good, though nothing I'd listen to. The vocals are particularly offending. :p

lol, thanks. but we really think we're quite sloppy. we all enjoy laughing at ourselves anyway =D thanks though.

and yes, our vocalist does indeed suck =p

Andy787

Banned
The composition is much more sophisticated than the lyrics, even if it is very similar to other bands like the aforementioned Sparta/ATDI (the composition, that is, not the lyrics), and you guys definitely have talent instrumentally. I don't really care for the Sparta/ATDI style of singing though, to be honest, so I can't say I really like your singer either, but provided you guys work on your lyrics more, you've definitely got something.

Fifty

Just fire your singer and get him to play the triangle. Seriously, how many rock bands have a triangle player? That would be some sophisticated shit.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Eminem said:
lol, thanks. but we really think we're quite sloppy. we all enjoy laughing at ourselves anyway =D thanks though.

Sloppy can be good, in a way, depending on the style of music. :) There were a couple of points where I felt it sounded like you were trying to play something that was just outside what the band were capable of, though - mostly showing in an unevenness in the drum parts, to be honest.

Mostly, though, I liked it. Preferred the tracks with vocals to the instrumental, personally, though with all the hate for your vocalist I'm probably in a minority there. :p

Eminem said:
and yes, our vocalist does indeed suck =p

Well, what's the point of being in a band if you can't suck? The only person in the band I'm in who can play an instrument to the point of actually being good at it is the drummer - and the instrument he's good at is the guitar. :p

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Andy787 said:
The composition is much more sophisticated than the lyrics, even if it is very similar to other bands like the aforementioned Sparta/ATDI (the composition, that is, not the lyrics), and you guys definitely have talent instrumentally. I don't really care for the Sparta/ATDI style of singing though, to be honest, so I can't say I really like your singer either, but provided you guys work on your lyrics more, you've definitely got something.

thanks.

iapetus said:
Sloppy can be good, in a way, depending on the style of music. :) There were a couple of points where I felt it sounded like you were trying to play something that was just outside what the band were capable of, though - mostly showing in an unevenness in the drum parts, to be honest.

Mostly, though, I liked it. Preferred the tracks with vocals to the instrumental, personally, though with all the hate for your vocalist I'm probably in a minority there. :p

Well, what's the point of being in a band if you can't suck? The only person in the band I'm in who can play an instrument to the point of actually being good at it is the drummer - and the instrument he's good at is the guitar. :p

lol, right on. appreciate the input =)

and it may seem like all i'm saying is "thanks" but seriously, thank you guys for the honest input. we really do look at this stuff. people who see us at a show always kiss our ass even when we suck. so thanks for the honest criticism.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Eminem said:
and it may seem like all i'm saying is "thanks" but seriously, thank you guys for the honest input. we really do look at this stuff. people who see us at a show always kiss our ass even when we suck. so thanks for the honest criticism.

Great way of getting honest (or even negative) feedback on your band - after you've done a show with a couple of other bands, start lurking on their message boards. People who went to see the other band will share their comments on yours, and since they don't expect you to be there, they'll be brutally honest. :)

As someone who *does* like ATDI (Sparta much, much, much less so), I dig. I agree with everyone else about the vocallist. Has he tried a different style? Shouts aren't for everyone.

Raxel

Sorta off topic, but I've been working on a few demos and would like impressions too!

Waterfall

Warning: Features use of high speed guitarwork and blaring synths!

Eminem said:
I've heard worse bands. There's clearly some talent among at least a couple of the members. The songwriting isn't completely uninspired either.

You have a long way to go, but I don't think it's a complete waste of time to keep going. You might eventually have something. Singers can improve so it's not hopeless if you keep him, as long as he has a commitment to work on his technique.

If this seems harsh, like reluctant praise, that's because it is. But get used to it because that's the way it is in the music business. Small-time bands get praise from fans at small-time shows, but don't let that go to your head. 95% of all bands that are signed to record deals don't make a profit for the label and get dropped, sometimes even owing the label tens of thousands depending on the contract. I even think it's something like 70-80% that don't even get to put out an album before being kicked to the curb. Success is all about the benjamins, not what some marginally attractive groupie thinks of you backstage at a $5 cover charge show at a local bar. Rampant piracy has made the music business even more feast or famine than it already was. Okay, rant over. Have a nice day. :)

NLB2

Banned
The singer is easily the best part of the band - very much not what I was expecting after the melodic guitar intro (Put out to Pasture). He could perhaps use a little more energy on his pas sages where he's shouting short notes - have him accentuate those more.

Listening to the piece a second time, I really dislike the intro. The body of the song is great, but its a completely differnt style from the intro, and I see no reason for the intro to be there. It seems like its just tacked on. If you want to keep the intro, it would be nice if you would develop the melody by more means than just sequencing and if you want to keep the sequencing perhaps try experimenting with the way in which its sequenced, perhaps keeping the sequencing more linear - rather than sequencing down, then up, then down, then up, try sequencing down, down, down or up, up, up. The intro would also make more sense if you incorporate the melody into the body of the piece which would help unify the song. It doesn't need to be a note for note replaying of the melody in the body, but you can allude to it.
Just my two cents.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
thanks again guys. much appreciated =)

as far as the intro, the band was in a split when it came to that. we'll definitely take it into more consideration. thanks for the input dude.

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
I liked it. The singer's no worse than the dude from "And You Will Know Us...". "Versus" is a definite keeper. I'm adding it to my Zen, so that's a good sign.

Oh yeah, share your bands website with the world, but change that main index picture first. :lol

Diablos

I like the first two songs w/ vocals you posted. Haven't heard the instrumental or others yet. I'm sure other people have said this, but your lead singer sounds like Cedric from ATDI a little bit. Nice guitar playing.

NLB2

Banned
Listened to more of your music.
I'm coming from a background in classical music, just to let you know.
What I'm a fan of is the style and intensity of the music (it almost reminds me of some of the music from Sonic Adventure, and that's a really good thing). There is always forward motion in the music, it never stalls or dies flat, even when the texture lightens up and there's only a solo guitar.

Problems I have with your music are a couple general things: too much parrellel motion - Drop the power chords - power chords sound like shit and your guitarists are good enough to voice lead correctly. Not enough development - I know development isn't something very common in rock music, but I think you melodies, especially the guitar licks, are the perfect length to be developed. They're short enough to be developed easily and I think developing your melodies could work really well for some of the songs, including Versus, which seem to be seperated into several clearly discernable parts. You could take a guitar lick from one part, play around with it and insert it into another part of the piece and I think it would work great for keeping unity in the piece.

I'm not a big fan of rock, but I'm really enjoying your band. Keep us updated, man.

demi

Fifty said:
Just fire your singer and get him to play the triangle. Seriously, how many rock bands have a triangle player? That would be some sophisticated shit.

cowbell.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom