• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Most Pleasant Gaming Surprise In A Long Time (Hollow Knight)

I think that in general, but especially on GAF it is rare to get into a game with little prior knowledge about it these days. People like to follow a game's development or press for obvious reasons: they're excited, they want to make an informed decision, they want to talk about it beforehand, etc. We have an OT for everything here on GAF usually before it reaches your own hands. Wanting to go into a game "blind" is a common goal but not one that is easy to execute in a world where information is coming in whether you like it or not. It also can easily be a bad thing! It only takes one bamboozle and you tell yourself "Welp never doing that again," and when there are so many games out these days its easy to get that bad experience. However this post is about my experience with Hollow Knight and how going into a game blind can still be an incredible experience that I believe we should all try more often (and just to gush about Hollow Knight).

I purchased Hollow Knight on impulse. I am not a die-hard Metroidvania fan - I've actually never played a Castlevania game or some of Metroid's derivatives, but I did enjoy the Metroid games I played! I knew what the genre was and what I was getting into at least judging from its description on the Steam store page. I actually did not know this was a Kickstarter game until some time after I had purchased it, which makes going into the game blind all the more amazing. Kickstarters tend to drip-feed updates, progress, ideas, art, etc. constantly if they are doing it right, and I had managed to avoid all of that going in. Now that I have completed the game I looked back at the Kickstarter updates and the game's related media, and they gave all sorts of surprises away! I was blown away by some things in the game that would have had a great deal of their magic taken away if I had done as much as watch even a second trailer. Mechanics, number of bosses or areas, characters you meet - they all ended up as a bullet point somewhere. It makes me wonder how we can balance enjoying the adventure of a game, while still being able to make an informed decision on it. Below I'll list some examples of what surprised me about the game and gush about it for a bit in an effort to convince you to try it, while trying to leave out as much as possible in order to try and keep that experience for others.

The game's aesthetic is very interesting. I went into this thinking it was a game set in a world of bug-people, but they managed to do it without giving you that squick-y feeling a lot of people get around insects (except for one zone that is absolutely 100% that and is awful) due to an art style that is just charming and cartoony enough. I also didn't expect how well Team Cherry took that idea and created an entire setting that could surround such a thing. They didn't just make some lamps that are fireflies for instance, but also took into account why an area would look a certain way in given with the culture and history that they have created. Sure its a world of bugs, but no two given areas look the same if the bugs that lived there would lead different lives. Its also a very bleak world - its a cliche at this point to compare a game to Dark Souls but in this case it must be done because they were clearly heavily influenced by it with their art direction. The world is depicted as old and decaying, with heavy hints to things far more ancient than yourself or even the civilizations you see. There are a lot of blues and greys, black and white, and you think all you'll see is some rocky tunnels and spikes.
Code:
[IMG]http://teamcherry.com.au/wp-content/uploads/kingspass_new.jpg[/IMG]
But before a skeptic can roll their eyes at yet another grimdark indie Dark Souls clone the world soon explodes into life and color in places that show how far the hand-drawn art style can go into detail. Even in a world that is supposed to be mostly underground you rarely feel claustrophobic (except for that one area), just like I felt the Metroid games accomplished.
Code:
[IMG]https://images7.alphacoders.com/810/810708.jpg[/IMG]
I thought of a similar game in Salt and Sanctuary, but while the two are both 2D and influenced by Dark Souls, SnS is quite...ugly. Its ugly enough to turn me off more than a game about bugs would, and the difference in art between the two is vast. Its also important how well its animated considering the metroidvania aspect of it. Everything moves around the screen a great deal - your character, the enemies, the background, the foreground, projectiles, effects - and its all very smooth and well done. Lots of little touches make the world charm you that much more.
Code:
[IMG]http://i2.wp.com/teamcherry.com.au/wp-content/uploads/HK_switch_gif.gif?resize=480%2C270[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]http://orig00.deviantart.net/e828/f/2017/056/3/4/hollow_knight_grub_by_digi_matrix-db0bbna.gif[/IMG]
The biggest surprise to me however was the story, lore, and characters of the game. I mentioned the Dark Souls influence before, but I did not expect the story to be as deep and rich as that other series can be, almost as if simply taking the best aspects of it. Like Dark Souls, the plot of the game and the history of the world must be put together piecemeal from item descriptions, cryptic NPC dialogue, and environmental clues. Unlike Dark Souls, this one can actually be put together without writing a peer-reviewed journal, provides some actual closure to those who piece it all together, and it includes a very helpful bestiary to flesh out the world more. It is incredibly deep and evocative for a $15 cartoony indie title, with some heavy themes and a lot of mystery that leaves you wanting to explore for more. Keep in mind this is not an RPG, but I finished the game after feeling I got everything I wanted out of it purely story-wise in about 20 hours. I did not get 100% completion (that's more mechanic-collectey wise anyway). There is a key mechanic in the game that is mostly used for just lore, and its enjoyable to play around with it. The game gives a perfect feeling of adventure since around every corner you can find something new. Heading down a new tunnel you missed before doesn't simply reward you with an upgrade, but instead you'll often find a completely new zone, another encounter with a character, a new mystery, or you'll just panic in a "where am I NOW its been like an hour since the last save bench and found yet another entirely new zone." The game's world keeps expanding. This is actually one of the most liked pictures on the Hollow Knight artwork page:

FB2B5E4192238EF5BF61E306391D92CE667F9A6D

This doesn't mean the game is without flaws. The first and largest is that if you want to get the most out of the game and see all the story it gets frustratingly hard. I don't just mean the combat either, since the game has a bizarre section that completely switches genres from metroidvania to Super Meat Boy/Dustforce so completely that its like it was running on an emulator within the game. I feel confident in saying that there has to be a large number of players, especially after the Switch release, that will buy this game and not be able to complete all of it. Is that fine? I'm not sure. While it in my opinion is also a breath of fresh air, for those who play a lot of metroid-vanias there is not a lot new mechanic-wise. You will get to a gap and instantly know you will get a double-jump ability to cross it since that's just what happens in metroidvanias and its true here, as well as other similar abilities. You can also expect a great deal of backtracking in the huge world, and even with all the mobility you can get it can be tedious.

So while all of this was mostly to gush about my positive experience with Hollow Knight, I also hope that others can find their own positive experiences going into a game without knowing much about it. I was recently unpleasantly surprised by ME: Andromeda and we could all use a little pick me up from time to time.

Code:
[IMG]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/85974691409676022/7E25DAA3312EDA2D61A8FEB70E4BCB09902C10AD/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:768&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A768&background-color=black[/IMG]

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'll say my only negative about the game and it's not a real gripe, but the art style and atmosphere is really mentally draining to me. I want to binge the game but always have the hardest time lol It's just so visually oppressing

A post of mine from the OT.

This game probably has some of the best use of audio in all of gaming. It mixed with the environmental art was one of the most mentally draining and stressful games I've played in a long time and I loved every second of it.

Good OP, and I agree. I kickstarted the game years ago because it looked cool, forgot about it, then watched the launch trailer and was impressed. Wound up getting 100% within a week of launch because I just couldn't put it down. It was a really great, and rare, surprise.

NIN90

This game is damn near perfect IMO. The only niggle I have with it is that the lower part of the map could have used one or two more stag stations. Getting in and out if there is kind of a pain as it is.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't like the aesthetic, it's a little too twee for me, but the game looks really good.

I'll definitely try it if I still have my Switch when it's released.

I think I'd probably really like this game, but the bug aesthetic is a serious, major turn-off.

Outside of phobias, I say they do a good job of avoiding making the bugs look and feel like bugs in a nasty sense and more like a Disney cartoon. However the area of the game I kept alluding to is 100%-full-stop-make-you-feel-itchy-after feeling. Its certainly a "nope' factor.

eggandI

Banned
Seen a lot of people praising this game but i can't really see what makes it stand out from the 10893498 other metroidvanias

Talha

I totally agree about going in blind for some games, the more main stream games are harder not to look at, for example MGSV most of the cutscenes lost their impact because they were already in the trailers. My experience of going in blind would honestly have to be Persona 4 Golden and man was that an amazing experience, the way the game builds on relationships is truly amazing, with Persona 5 I did my very best to stay away from the trailers and so far it's working, the small trailers Persona 5 had were not to spoilery and everything is new and fresh, knowing everything beforehand really does ruin the experience because them your always expecting more ala MGSVs story

I totally agree about going in blind for some games, the more main stream games are harder not to look at, for example MGSV most of the cutscenes lost their impact because they were already in the trailers. My experience of going in blind would honestly have to be Persona 4 Golden and man was that an amazing experience, the way the game builds on relationships is truly amazing, with Persona 5 I did my very best to stay away from the trailers and so far it's working, the small trailers Persona 5 had were not to spoilery and everything is new and fresh, knowing everything beforehand really does ruin the experience because them your always expecting more ala MGSVs story

I've never played a Persona game before either so maybe I'll give one a try blind.

Seen a lot of people praising this game but i can't really see what makes it stand out from the 10893498 other metroidvanias

I noted that I haven't played too many of them so I possibly had a fresher take, but perhaps the story, lore, artwork, and characters can make this one stand out to you.

I thought of a similar game in Salt and Sanctuary, but while the two are both 2D and influenced by Dark Souls, SnS is quite...ugly. Its ugly enough to turn me off more than a game about bugs would, and the difference in art between the two is vast. Its also important how well its animated considering the metroidvania aspect of it. Everything moves around the screen a great deal - your character, the enemies, the background, the foreground, projectiles, effects - and its all very smooth and well done. Lots of little touches make the world charm you that much more.

This doesn't mean the game is without flaws. The first and largest is that if you want to get the most out of the game and see all the story it gets frustratingly hard. I don't just mean the combat either, since the game has a bizarre section that completely switches genres from metroidvania to Super Meat Boy/Dustforce so completely that its like it was running on an emulator within the game. I feel confident in saying that there has to be a large number of players, especially after the Switch release, that will buy this game and not be able to complete all of it. Is that fine? I'm not sure. While it in my opinion is also a breath of fresh air, for those who play a lot of metroid-vanias there is not a lot new mechanic-wise. You will get to a gap and instantly know you will get a double-jump ability to cross it since that's just what happens in metroidvanias and its true here, as well as other similar abilities. You can also expect a great deal of backtracking in the huge world, and even with all the mobility you can get it can be tedious.
Said little touches especially highlight the craftsmanship that the developers managed to put forth. Simple as it may be on the surface, I appreciated how there was a visual explanation as to why money automatically floats towards you as seen below, especially given how it's a component that's taken for granted elsewhere in numerous games of various genres. It's not just a feature that's ubiquitous with luxurious convenience, even though mechanically it frankly still is. Then there's the s
inging of the ghost lady in the Pleasure House
overlapping with the theme in
City of Tears
, this mannerism for Bretta (who
gushes non-stop like a fangirl about her savior, i.e. your character
) or something goofy like this with an otherwise inconspicuous NPC, applied to such a wholesome degree Hollow Knight exudes a meticulous / cohesive feel. Team Cherry has a very sharp eye for detail; it shows in some masterfully done transitions as well as the general audio design, too.

geobugs_smalltvkf9.gif

Also: what I really like about that Super Meat Boy-esque area you mentioned, is how this was handled with legitimate competence. It was surprising enough to me since most platformers that attempt this generally miss the mark - never mind it being a challenging enough task as is despite the seemingly straight-forward nature - by mistaking a harsh difficulty curve for 'unfairness' in one of its many forms. Depriving the player of information to the point of trial-and-error, immediately throwing them into the deep end by overwhelming them, or excessively tight windows of opportunity are just a few of such examples. W
hite
C
astle
avoids most of these pitfalls and exhibits design foresight in its ample supply of subtle shortcuts, including:

ceduik.gif
syuiqs.gif

It's at times reminiscent of how much forethought planning went into DKC: Tropical Freeze's level design, which is no mean feat. Not quite as omnipresent here as it was in that aforementioned game, but appreciated all the same. Either way, W
hite
C
astle
became one of my favourite environments in Hollow Knight once I noticed the care Team Cherry put into it, even if it does border on (thematically) being comically out-of-place! I don't view it as a shortcoming if some are unable to complete it / prone to miss its existence, either.

One final remark: I'm glad the map system is the way it is for Hollow Knight. I understand why it's divisive and normally taking away guidance (such as markers you readily find in contemporary titles) could easily be perceived as a dumb oversight, but it works to Hollow Knight's advantage. It's contextually logical, it heightens the exploration, it 'forces' you to think about your surroundings more than the majority of Metroidvanias (or wannabes) out there and most importantly, the devs properly balanced this kind of experience via (scenic) signposting. I didn't pick up the compass or any of the pins that adorn the map screen, inexpensive as they may be, and went through the entirety of Hallownest by relying on the shapes of the rooms (which aren't featureless squares) plus by taking note of either plentiful landmarks or literal signposts. NPC's, whether or not tied to a sidequest, allude to new areas with their directions (often mere hints or low-key suggestions) akin to Breath of the Wild too and while blatant handholding is readily accessible early on for those who crave for it, it again shows foresight on Team Cherry's behalf with how they adequately accommodated more than one demographic.

There's more I could discuss, but bottom line... Hollow Knight is an impressive game to dissect on multiple facets.

It actually being densely interconnected, not treating the environments as something disposable you only visit once (save for hoarding humdrum collectibles) and for the most part giving proper sense of isolation. Helps that the game provided a surprising amount of culture to its setting too.

Not that I hate the likes of Ori and the Blind Forest or Guacamelee (piss-easy as it may be) mind you, since their strengths clearly lie elsewhere, but they're moreso elaborate action-platformers where you happen to seamlessly travel from one level to another. The latter being more shallow in its implementation in favour of a different focus.

So glad you stumbled into it. For anyone wondering why they should take a chance on it when there's a million other games in this genre - atmosphere. This game really pulls off its world.

I recommend it even at full price because of how long it is.

Hexer06

I actually found out about this game because of GAF. I had no clue what it was, but when I saw it was a Metroidvania, I practically had to get it. Not a fan of the bug aesthetic, but the gameplay is good enough to keep going. I need to jump back to this someday cuz I think I got like 16 hours in. I recommend it to any Metroidvania fan. :)

Doop

This game is amazing. I love all the creative enemy designs, and personally I love the bug aesthetic (but also I'm the weirdo that finds bugs really cute). So far this is my GOTY.

This is the kind of game that I would never expect to have seen the art be a point of contention. It was something that immediately appealed to me, with its lovely hand-drawn art, muted but poignant tones, and unique character designs. The game's aesthetic was my jam.

Corpekata

Banned
It's really great and surprisingly massive.

It does feel a little easy to get off the main path and lost a bit in the middle of the game, though it still has a ton to do as you stumble your way back to it.

I was in a VERY similar situation coming into this game, I paid pretty much no attention to it, did not see the kickstarter at all, and I actually didn't like the whole bug theme the game has (actually just thought I wouldn't but ended up loving it within the first hour). If anybody has an issue with the aesthetic, I suggest giving it a chance, actually playing it might change your mind.

My favorite game of the year so far. It scratched an itch that I needed scratched for a long time.

This is saying a lot considering how much I liked Horizon and Nioh and how good those games are. Hollow Knight had so much more depth and polish than I expected.

The only issues I had with the game were the whole map system which became far too tedious and did not do anything for the game IMO, and the fact that I was unable to get some pretty important (although not necessary) upgrade items due to a bug that could have been avoided if the rewards were rewarded in a better way.

Also, I REALLY loved the way they handled secrets/secret areas. They didn't feel too hard to find, but not too easy either. It felt extremely satisfying when I "got a feeling" that something was hidden nearby, and I turned out to be right. There is one secret in particular that I still don't know what made me think something was there, and it blew my mind.

I need more from this team ASAP.

The only issues I had with the game were the whole map system which became far too tedious and did not do anything for the game IMO, and the fact that I was unable to get some pretty important (although not necessary) upgrade items due to a bug that could have been avoided if the rewards were rewarded in a better way.

Also, I REALLY loved the way they handled secrets/secret areas. They didn't feel too hard to find, but not too easy either. It felt extremely satisfying when I "got a feeling" that something was hidden nearby, and I turned out to be right. There is one secret in particular that I still don't know what made me think something was there, and it blew my mind.
I personally thought the map system added a lot to the game (see previous post) but to each their own.

I'm also glad the devs didn't fall into the (common) trap of making secrets a matter of just randomly stumbling upon inconspicuous breakable walls. They frequently made sure there's something slightly 'off' about a piece of environment that might contain something hidden in it, so if you're astute, you can get on by without hitting virtually every single tile imaginable. T
he Hive
was a satisfying discovery for example, with how that one in retrospect was 'hiding' in plain sight.

Renekton

So glad you stumbled into it. For anyone wondering why they should take a chance on it when there's a million other games in this genre - atmosphere. This game really pulls off its world.

I recommend it even at full price because of how long it is.
That is not necessarily a good thing...

i usually buy indie metroidvanias expecting a pretty short play through - under ten hours. Hollow knight is going to take me 15-20; I consider that a good thing and worth the price.

I paid full price for Inside and that game took me 3 hours. While I love it to bits, I have a hard time recommending it to anyone for all those bones. Just brought up playtime because I know in a world of steam sales some people wait for sub $10 or $5 before even noticing a game, and this one is long enough to justify full price.

Anno

A lot of the length is optional. If you just mainline the story it's probably normal length for the genre. If you want to explore everything and get the "best" ending it can also be 30+ by the end. And the content continues to be pretty novel throughout.

DrArchon

Already beat Hollow Knight once on PC (not the best ending, heavens no, I can't handle some of the late game platforming), but I'll double dip for sure on Switch just to have it on the go. It's probably one of the best Metroidvanias ever made, which I don't say lightly.

Only thing I would've liked is to make it so that you could map an area by moving through it before finding the guy that sells maps and buying one. A lot of times I missed him and wandered around blindly for a long while, which isn't too much of a problem because you pretty quickly learn the lay of the land, but still.

jb1234

That is true but Hollow Knight sustains its length. I played it for 28 hours and there was still more I could have done. You can also probably finish it in 10-15 hours if you wanted to. It's just incredibly dense.

Top Bottom