• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help with Pioneer Receiver

Hello y'all. I'm having trouble with a VSX-834 Pioneer receiver. I have a Cable TV box and another streaming box connected to the HDMI ports in the back of the receiver, but both sometimes work, sometimes they don't. There's no image output and the sound sometimes comes out but all choppy.

What the hell could be happening?

Reallink

The most common solution to this type of issue is to try new HDMI cables on every run (even to the TV) cause gravity can cause the connector to sag enough overtime that it will induce these intermittent partial dropouts (nevermind you moving stuff around wiggling them). Second most common fix is to not use the ARC ports (and/or turn off ARC if available in the AVR and TV menus), and turn off all the HDMI CEC settings on the AVR and TV.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Have you tried different cables that are not longer than necessary? I had issues where a cable would work for 1080p but would be lacking for 4k.

The most common solution to this type of issue is to try new HDMI cables on every run (even to the TV) cause gravity can cause the connector to sag enough overtime that it will induce these intermittent partial dropouts (nevermind you moving stuff around wiggling them). Second most common fix is to not use the ARC ports (and/or turn off ARC if available in the AVR and TV menus), and turn off all the HDMI CEC settings on the AVR and TV.
Welp, I activated CEC on both (which didn't work as intended btw) and I'm using the eARC HDMI port on the TV. If you want the TV sound output then, you need to use an optical cable right?

I'll try this, thanks.

Last edited:

Reallink

Welp, I activated CEC on both (which didn't work as intended btw) and I'm using the eARC HDMI port on the TV. If you want the TV sound output then, you need to use an optical cable right?

I'll try this, thanks.
You don't need optical or ARC if you're plugging the devices into the AVR, you will however need one to get sound from the TVs internal smart apps and/or devices plugged directly into the TV.

You don't need optical or ARC if you're plugging the devices into the AVR, you will however need one to get sound from the TVs internal smart apps and/or devices plugged directly into the TV.
Yeah that's what I meant.

Thanks. I'll give all this stuff a try.

BlackTron

I had a very similar issue with my Pioneer and I ended up having to replace HDMI cables. I find the most reliable cable the one that came with Series X so I use that between the TV and receiver now.

Top Bottom