• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix announces 'return' of Making A Murderer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

if they could get steven to confess and get brendan out of jail, it would be a truly phenomenal coup. after the finale of the jinx i don't think any other true crime will be able to hit that note, but you never know.
He'll never do it especially after the support he got post doc.

I think he even believes his lie and is into deep.

If the guy doesn't end up free at the end, the show will just feel like it's spinning it's wheels. Also, if he does get exonerated, wouldn't that make national news and "spoil" the ending?

LifEndz

Unless there's some sort of positive news, I don't know if I would watch it. Season one was heartbreaking, especially what happened to Brendan.

Dalek

His new attorney has a long history of exonerating wrongly accused prisoners. I'm of the opinion that she wouldn't have taken the case if she didn't feel confident she had proof that would set him free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Zellner

Zellner started her law firm in January 1991. The firm represents both civil and criminal clients. She has obtained the exoneration of 17 wrongfully convicted men, handling many of these cases pro bono.[4] She obtained the release of death row inmate Joseph Burrows by persuading the real killer, Gayle Potter, to confess to the murder. The Illinois Supreme Court affirmed the trial court decision releasing Burrows from death row.[5]

In November 2009, Zellner took on client Ryan Ferguson, who had served seven years in prison following a conviction for murder.[6][7] She gained an overturn of his conviction by the Missouri Court of Appeals Western District.[8] On November 12, 2013, Ferguson was released from prison after serving 10 years.

In 1994, Zellner persuaded Larry Eyler to confess to 21 murders prior to his death. All 21 murder cases were closed.

She has won millions of dollars in civil jury trials and settlements.[9] She also won $15.5 million for the false arrest and malicious prosecution of Kevin Fox, who was incarcerated for 8 ½ months for the murder of his 3-year-old daughter.[10] His wife, Melissa, recovered for her loss of consortium and intentional infliction of emotional distress. On appeal, the appellate court reduced the verdict to $8.1 million.[11]

Randomizer

Seems abit premature perhaps? Maybe wait 5 years for Kathleen Zellner and Brendan's lawyers to get them both exonerated and released.

Dalek

Seems abit premature perhaps? Maybe wait 5 years for Kathleen Zellner and Brendan's lawyers to get them both exonerated and released.

Why would it be premature? If they want to film the proceedings they need to start filming now and that in turn requires funding from Netflix. Netflix most likely agreed to fund more documentary filming and then they in turn announced it.

Solo

It seems like shit could start happening as soon as August 29. Need to have the cameras rolling now. For all we know this won't hit til December 2017.

Koozek

Can't wait! Season 1 was absolutly insane and made me livid. What a depressing mess the justice system can be.

Doomshine

He really isn't as innocent as the show makes him out to be..

http://www.avclub.com/article/read-damning-evidence-against-steven-avery-making--230224

Plus he tortured and killed his cat, fuck that guy.

I don't see what makes any of that more trustworthy than what the defense has presented.

I mean this..

There was clearly some shady shit here, but I snooped around in various Reddit threads and through some local news reports and found a few pieces of evidence not presented in the docuseries that persuade me that Avery was probably guilty. Some of this was presented at trial, while some of it was excluded in pre-trial motions.

..doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

While the subject matter was fascinating, season 1 already felt padded. Not sure enough time and enough has happened to warrant more episodes

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Awesome. With the results of his appeal/new trial all over the internet, they probably want it to air somewhat soon after the actual proceedings.

What happened to Brendan was completely messed up. Didn't the documentary mention he was only a few IQ points away from being considered mentally disabled? And the way the cops fed the story to him in the interrogation room, he was looking at the cops basically asking them how their story should go next...

He even seemed confused that after confessing that he wasn't allowed to go home.

It makes my blood boil.

Oppo

interesting. they will have to incorporate the actual effects of the first season. a bit snake-eating-tail.

this and Serial are really interesting meta reflections in media

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Season 1 was depressing as hell. I don't think I'm up for another season.

seriously. I had no prior knowledge of the case or the show, but i kept hearing people talk about it. After i think 1 or 2 episodes Avery is acquitted of the first crime, im like ok cool they're going to go onto another guy thats been wrongfully accused.... NOPE, Avery sue's and then is conspicuously charged with murder.

I still can't believe a judge anywhere allowed all of the stuff that happened to Dassey.

Moze said:
So a 20 hour documentary that could have been done in about 2 hours? Okay.
what are you talking about? There's no way in hell they could have condensed the first season into 2 hours.

HardRojo

Did something happen for them to decide producing more episodes? The show was really interesting and I'm definitely on board for more episodes.

CXn4NvcWQAADpmC.png

Great. Will watch. Funny thing is I finished watching S1 a while ago but literally had a look in the OT today and people were discussing if S2 feat. Kathleen Zellner might happen.

What happened to Brendan was completely messed up. Didn't the documentary mention he was only a few IQ points away from being considered mentally disabled? And the way the cops fed the story to him in the interrogation room, he was looking at the cops basically asking them how their story should go next...

He even seemed confused that after confessing that he wasn't allowed to go home.

It makes my blood boil.

The Brendan story is really sad but at the same time I do fully believe he raped her while she was tied to the bed. What the police did however isn't how justice should be dealt

Sephzilla

I'm interested in watching this.

That being said - I think Avery is guilty as fuck, but the police department is equally guilty of tampering.

holygeesus

Banned
I think any second season focussing on the same case, will suffer because most people watching it, will be too familiar with everything that has happened, and the publicity surrounding the events now, mean we would learn of any appeal result or similar, before watching the documentary.

The first season was so successful because it was a case nobody really knew anything about, and it slowly revealed layer upon layer of police incompetence in a way that would be difficult to replicate now the case is so publicly known. I'm not sure there would be enough there to hook the viewer. They should probably just move on and find other source material.

royalan

Unless there's been further advancements in the case, it sounds like they're milking it for more episodes.

This.

The entire reason the first documentary series was so good was that it contained damn near a decade worth of footage covering a trial by a filmmaker who was making a different doc and just HAPPENED to be there when this blew up.

It was lightning in a bottle.

The Brendan story is really sad but at the same time I do fully believe he raped her while she was tied to the bed. What the police did however isn't how justice should be dealt

I'm sorry, but could you point out what piece of evidence leads you to be so certain about this? That is, besides the "confession" that was coerced from him by the authorities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom