• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix found a way to lose more money

AJUMP23

They are building a game studio.

Netflix is no longer relying exclusively on third-party teams to bolster its game catalog. The streaming giant is forming an in-house game studio in Helsinki, Finland to create "world-class" original games without ads or in-app purchases. While it's too soon for details of the games themselves, Zynga and EA alumnus Marko Lastikka will serve as director.

Helsinki is a good fit as the home to some of the "best game talent" on the planet, according to Netflix. This includes The Walking Dead mobile developer Next Games (which Netflix bought in March). Netflix has purchased multiple developers, including Boss Fight and Oxenfree creator Night School Studio, but hasn't built a developer from scratch until now.

You won't see the first fruits of this internal studio for "years," Netflix says. Still, this and recent acquisitions show how the company's gaming strategy is evolving. Where Netflix initially depended on outsiders' games, including slightly tweaked versions of existing titles, it's increasingly focused on truly unique projects you won't find elsewhere. In theory, more people will subscribe to Netflix with the game library in mind.

winjer

Gold Member
It went well with Amazon...

Bored The Office GIF

Cyberpunkd

You can log on and get games from the app store that you have to access through your netflix log in. Into the Breach is only available on mobile through netflix.
At it's insanely good game at that - wtf was the developer thinking, the money Netflix paid must have been crazy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What do you mean, streaming services make money off 100m+ single IP investments I heard.

It's why Disney doesn't release those major investments day 1 anymore, they don't like money.

/s

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

You can log on and get games from the app store that you have to access through your netflix log in. Into the Breach is only available on mobile through netflix.

But I didn't know for Into the Breach thanks for the info! They made FTL too so I hope that the money they got from netflix will help them making their next game sooner.

Chittagong

Gold Member
They are looking to hoover up all the admittedly excellent talent released when Playtika decided to shut Seriously down. Their first Helsinki studio is nowhere near as great as Seriously was.

TransTrender

Gold Member
This is a terrible idea and WallStreet will hate this.
This is a very expensive long term play and that's not what they need right now.

killatopak

New World and Lost Ark are both very popular tho
New world isn’t in a good spot shortly after launch. We’ll see once the expansion releases. It took a nosedive ala Halo Infinite and Lost Ark is just a licensed game from Korea. Amazon didn’t make it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
New world isn’t in a good spot shortly after launch. We’ll see once the expansion releases. It took a nosedive ala Halo Infinite and Lost Ark is just a licensed game from Korea. Amazon didn’t make it.

They published Lost Ark. New World still has a very healthy playerbase and sold a shitload of copies.

Porcile

Making a AAA game takes such a herculean amount effort, time, manpower and money it doesn't seem worth it at all unless you are well established. Every company seems to be one flop away from struggling and opening their doors to buyouts.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I subscribed just so I can watch the final season of Cobra Kai.

Tomorrow I'm probably going to watch the Irishman.. I've already canceled my subscription so when October 16th comes around, I'm done with it.

I also tried getting into Better Call Saul but I just can't get into it even though Breaking Bad is pretty much my favorite TV drama.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Seems like a waste of money. All those millions pumped into making this AAA game could have been spent on new films or shows, which is the reason people sign up to Netflix in the first place.

Cyberpunkd

Seems like a waste of money. All those millions pumped into making this AAA game could have been spent on new films or shows, which is the reason people sign up to Netflix in the first place.
But they have a lot of them and they are almost always crap, so I think there’s a big problem with quality at Netflix.

Meicyn

Gold Member
They published Lost Ark. New World still has a very healthy playerbase and sold a shitload of copies.
Yep, and New World will likely make its way to current gen consoles. I see it following the same growth trend as Elder Scrolls Online. That game had a quick fall-off after it launched on PC back in 2014. Then they rebranded the game to Tamriel Unlimited, moved to their current monetization model, and shipped to consoles a year later. Everyone has completely forgotten that ESO was considered a dead game.

New World has the chance to find serious success. I know I’ll give it a shake when it ships on PS5.

Last edited:

Gp1

New World has the chance to find serious success. I know I’ll give it a shake when it ships on PS5.

I don't how is the game now, but 6 or so months ago I would call their grind system of "something beyond reparation".

GeekyDad

It may take a few stabs, but it makes financial sense to me (of course I know next to nothing about such things). They may lose money the first while, but it's to be expected. Hard copies of any type of media have been on their way out for years now. Games weren't going to be any exception to their rules. Once convenience sets in, everyone will cave. Even you.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Their games are downloads. The biggest streaming site in the world is making downloadable games.... Streaming future though? What gives?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

It'll be a better investment than giving more money to Meghan and Harry..
I don’t know that those 2 are going to see that money. Or much of that money. They seem bitter and I never found the appeal of listening to bitter people talk about those they hate.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It'll be a better investment than giving more money to Meghan and Harry..
I wonder how much it costs for them to pay to stay in the spotlight. Surely the media doesn't do it for free, right?

Someone's gonna release that DNA test on Harry and the soccer player Diana favored...then watch the fireworks :p

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There’s your specialized studio for all kinds of inclusive games.
I expect them to satisfy all the needs of those who always rant “we need more representation of x in games”.
World peace is at hand.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wonder how much it costs for them to pay to stay in the spotlight. Surely the media doesn't do it for free, right?

Someone's gonna release that DNA test on Harry and the soccer player Diana favored...then watch the fireworks :p
Would love to see the Canada guy, he does look identical to his padre. ;)

Top Bottom